Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

egr

Views : 1538

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 21:25   #1
robrome
novis car diy'er

Default egr

hi any help pls ? on my exhaust manifold where the egr gos? its all black soot i removed stainless steel pipe and it seems blocked off to me??? why should that be? what is a egr valve, i think its called a egr its connected to air intake and ends at exhaust above turbo, am i missing something,should you be able to pull it out by hand at the exhaust end or not

Last edited by robrome; Oct 5th, 2007 at 22:36. Reason: spelling not good
robrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 02:33   #2
jor
VOC 20573

I think it was some emissions type lark Rob, which general consensus established to be of no use, hence your finding. To get rid of the pipe which runs from the exhaust to the inlet manifold you could get d24 manifolds which don't have egr. Most leave the pipe in situ, but blanked at the exhaust end.
Forgot to mention the D24T manual which is part V97000164 at ₤38, there is a 240 manual on the d24 online at k-jet.org
My car used idle a bit erratically, cured by a K&N filter. I see that someone went as far as fitting an induction kit from a BMW 735i which I'd be tempted to try sometime.
You may want to check the pump timing, which requires a kit. Some of the other "recommended" minor mods are; custom exhaust (₤300) or rodding the cat (₤0, providing you don't break anything), replacing the mechanical fan with the electrical one from a 960 (₤50 inc relay) and switched on when needed.
To clean the injectors take off the filter and fill with transmission fluid (mineral, not synthetic).

john

P.S. methinks that avatar has appeared elsewhere!

Last edited by jor; Oct 6th, 2007 at 02:52.
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 16:06   #3
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
To clean the injectors take off the filter and fill with transmission fluid (mineral, not synthetic).
Is this a concentrated 'injector cleaner'? I should imagine you have to boot it up the motorway if you do this, And as for smoke?
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 18:00   #4
jor
VOC 20573

Default d24 injector cleaner

It's true monkeh. Can't recall how much ATF costs, but approx a fiver for 500mls. It's got good detergent properties, the reason for mineral is that synthetic is too viscous.
Can't smoke all that much as it's been advised pre testing for "borderline" engines.

john
jor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 15:28   #5
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Cheers, Just worried that the engine may go into hydraulic lock if I put that in, Ill give that a go this weekend, However running the car on that Vpower derv seems to have cleared my smoking problems up, but at £1.02 a litre....Ouchy.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 19:27   #6
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Cheers, Just worried that the engine may go into hydraulic lock if I put that in, Ill give that a go this weekend, However running the car on that Vpower derv seems to have cleared my smoking problems up, but at £1.02 a litre....Ouchy.
V- Power would clean the engine, but is it really that expensive, all things considered? Say 50 liters at an extra 5p per liter = £2.50 to treat your engine. Time taken 0 hours as you have to have diesel anyway. Seems a good deal to me. A clean engine for £2.50 without spending any time doing it.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 15:38   #7
monkeh
Pain in the backside

I must say, Ive been running my car on V-power for the past 6 weeks and the results are fantastic, averaging 5-10 mpg increase, but the main factor is that I have lost a lot of smoke emissions. Before on regular diesel, I would drop into neutral and rev to the redline and the crap that came out of the exhaust would darken the street! Great for the camp hairdresser in his Audi TT convertible at the lights when he pulls along side you!
But now that stuff really has cleaned out the injectors, but you must keep using it, just a small amount of soot now, On the MOT it says 1.56, (whatever its measured in)
be interesting to see what happens next year for the MOT.