Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No Diesel Particulate Filter

Views : 30366

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2009, 17:36   #1
Ben Hur

Default No Diesel Particulate Filter

I have a brand new S40 2.0D and have just spotted on the Volvo Price and Specification book that my car is not fitted with a DPF.

Across the Volvo Platform 1 all diesel cars have the DPF fitted apart from the C30 2.0D Manual, S40 2.0D Manual and V50 2.0D Manual.

Can someone enlighten me why this is?

Thanks.
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben Hur For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 10:30   #2
Rascal

Default No DPF - Consider yourself lucky!

If you haven't got a DPF, then consider yourself lucky.
They appear to be more trouble than they are worth, as a 'DPF' related search on the forum will reveal.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 13:44   #3
Volvo-in-my-blood
V70 D5 SE

Those models use an additive for emissions control rather than the regenerating filter in the larger engined models (to do with the exhaust gas temperature not being high enough in the smaller engines to burn of the particulates). The additive is part of the schedules servicing (at 60,000 intervals?).
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 21:00   #4
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hur View Post
I have a brand new S40 2.0D and have just spotted on the Volvo Price and Specification book that my car is not fitted with a DPF.

Across the Volvo Platform 1 all diesel cars have the DPF fitted apart from the C30 2.0D Manual, S40 2.0D Manual and V50 2.0D Manual.

Can someone enlighten me why this is?

Thanks.
That's very interesting as my understanding of Volvo and even Saab, was that all their vehicles would have a DPF fitted. I suspect that there is a DPF but not one that requires replacement or additive perhaps.

The original 2.0d was a Euro 3 engine with none, then the Euro4 spec was introduced with a DPF that required additive to increase exhaust temp to aid regeneration of the filter periodically.

Now, it seems that the latest DPF on 2.0d engines may not have a DPF that reqiures replacement, ie it is for the life of the car.

The 5cyl Volvo engines ( so I understand) have never had the additive requirement because they get hot enough without the need to use a catylist and again the DPF is not a service item.

My V50 2.0d E4, has service item DPF and in my opinion as a result it reduces engine performance, increases fuel consumption and increases chance of problems due to extra sensing and control (more to go wrong).

I should also add that at 75k miles (lower on earlier DPF engines) the complete filter has to be replaced which means that the 75k service will be well over £1000! Oh I forgot to mention that additive has to be topped up at 37.5k miles - also increasing service cost.

Plus side is that the engine is extremely clean and the exhaust pipe has almost no soot at the tail pipe.

Your car will not have the DPF that will give you all these worries, so good luck and enjoy the car. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 08:07   #5
Loskie

I bought my V50 2.0d as a factory order in mid June car arrived July25. Good news to hear maybe no DPF fitted and the costly additive and replacement required.
Have just looked at the brochure I got(issue 01/05/2009) Model year 2010 ed2 and on the engine specifications page small print at the bottom states "NB All diesel models are fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter except 2.0d manual"

Interestingly this would mean the D5 HAVING a DPF. Does this seem correct?
Loskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 22:52   #6
7050man
Master Member

The D5 will have a DPF, but not one that is a service item, so it will not need replacing unless it fails for any other reason.

This is the heart of the confusion I think. Two types of DPF system. A DPF that has to be replaced and also use additive to aid regeneration, or one that doesn't.

Interesting that Volvo have changed the wording on the sales brochure that you quote. The website does not say that 2.0d does not have DPF. If you look on Volvo site for DPF, all will be explained.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 16:26   #7
bryand
C30 devotee

This is the underside of my MY2008 C30 2.0D. There is NO particulate filter, and there is NO dosing tank or other associated plumbing.
It just ain't there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg underside.jpg (36.2 KB, 160 views)
bryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 22:05   #8
JMP

I have a 55'reg V70 D5 and recently had the message 'soot filter full' and it went into limp mode. Managed to do a manual recharge on it after 40 miles foot flat down on the dual carriageway. Wasn't looking forward to a costly replacement.

Can anyone tell me... does my V70 have the DPF that requires additive and is this why it sooted up? I understand short journeys are no good for DPF's but mine has always had quite long runs.

VW seem to have the right idea - when we ordered my wifes Golf we could have deleted the DPF as they said it was not recommended for cars that do short journeys.
2005 '55 Mercedes C200 CDI Avantgarde Estate
1979 'T' MGB Roadster
JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 19:21   #9
Loskie

after initially reading this thread I posted a question to Volvo Customer Services via their website. My car is a July 09 V50 2.0DS.
This was their response:-
"Thank you for your email and I apologise for the delay in responding to
you. I can confirm that your vehicle does not have a particulate filter.
This information is gleaned from the chassis number YV1MW754XXXXXXXX.
75 is the engine variant and the following 4 shows that it is Euro 4
emissions which do not have the filter. I hope this is the information
you require, thank you for your contact with this office."
The brochure and dealers aren't at all clear. Hopefully the information I was given is correct.
Loskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 19:30   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

its all in the 8th character of the VIN :

3 = euro 3 NO particle filter
4 = Euro 4 No particle filter
5 = Euro 4 WITH particle filter