Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No Diesel Particulate Filter

Views : 30368

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2009, 22:38   #11
7050man
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
VW seem to have the right idea - when we ordered my wifes Golf we could have deleted the DPF as they said it was not recommended for cars that do short journeys.
Yes VW do say this and they also say that if a warning lamp comes on, then drive at 2000 - 2500 revs until lamp extinguishes. It also says that it is normal for this lamp to illuminate.

The VW filters are also designed for the life of the car or 140k miles.

I thought that Volvo had adopted these types of filters instead of the replacement type. But perhaps not.
7050man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:07   #12
Lozza
Events occur in real time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
its all in the 8th character of the VIN :

3 = euro 3 NO particle filter
4 = Euro 4 No particle filter
5 = Euro 4 WITH particle filter
Clan, thanks for that... I too have had the recall letter 'Oil level may rise'. I was a little dubious as I was sure my V70 D5 ('07) didn't have a DPF. I've checked my VIN and I have a '4' as the 8th character, so that's good news for me.

Interestingly enough my oil level has always stayed rock steady since day 1 with the car, never had an issue with it and I check it regularly.

I spoke to the dealer with regards the recall letter and was told that yes, despite my car not having a DPF (they had checked), it still required the software upload and the oil level reduced. Again, no real explanation as to what the software will do, however they claimed it was nothing to do with diesel fuel topping up the sump level and it was instead, due to 'oil misting' at either higher ambient temps, or engines driven hard.

Interesting, as a search on the net regarding oil levels rising almost certainly reveals hits on fuel topping up the sump levels rather than oil misting...

Either way, I'm not making any special trip to have this done just yet as my car's running really well at the moment. Like others have said, I'm curious to see how any other owners get on if they do go ahead and have this job undertaken.
2005 S40 2.0D SE (Sold)
Lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:11   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

ahh those emission codes only apply to the S40 / V50 not V70 !

A 2007 V70 D5 would have a particle filter .. you can check by looking under the car it looks like a silencer at the front just forward of the footwell , it will have two thin pressure pipes attached ( one at each end ) and a temperature sensor ...

I would have the software upgrade because any problems later and you wont get any help if you turn down the help they are offering now .
Old May 23rd, 2010, 14:44   #14
Lozza
Events occur in real time

Ok cheers! - I'll take a look... The dealership seemed pretty sure I didn't have one but I'll have a look myself !
2005 S40 2.0D SE (Sold)
Lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 15:19   #15
adb007

Not sure about accuracy of Clan's table showing meaning of 8th character of VIN.

I have a 2008 V70 D5 185 Geartronic car with VIN YVBW71408------ which according to Volvo Customer services, and my dealer does have a DPF.

According to Clan's table the 4 following the engine variant 71 suggests no DPF.

Oil level is too high 25 mm over the max on dipstick (1500 mles after service) and car in at moment to have level dropped.

Told dealer if Volvo wont pay to change the oil I will and argue with Volvo later. Don't believe that degree of contamination is OK for engine life.
adb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 18:20   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb007 View Post
Not sure about accuracy of Clan's table showing meaning of 8th character of VIN.

I have a 2008 V70 D5 185 Geartronic car with VIN YVBW71408------ which according to Volvo Customer services, and my dealer does have a DPF.

According to Clan's table the 4 following the engine variant 71 suggests no DPF.

It is very accurate on the S40 V50 C30 C70 but Not the V70 and rest of the range however .. they have a differnt system
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 15:28   #17
adb007

Hi Clan

Many thanks for the clarification - all makes sense now.

Had my 08 V70 D5 Geartronic dealt with yesterday, Volvo would not pay for oil change so I did. Not worth the risk to the turbo bearings in my opinion for the price of a full tank of fuel.

Posted my experience with the dealer (with whom I am happy) in a separate thread. Some interesting issues raised there.
adb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 14:04   #18
chunderground
xc90 exec black+privacy

if manufacturers do not fix this problem I think there will be a mass market for disabling DPFs. I would far prefer it if motor manufacturers found a fix but 3- 5 years on there is no fix in sight. I would think that the cost of running back to the manufacturers dealer for new DPFs / engines / turbos (the two latter items lubricated with what is effectively vegetable oil) every few thousand miles would be unacceptably expensive to the majority of owners.
Volvo claim it is the bio diesel (vegetable oil) component which is getting into the sump which will not evaporate out.
With the expensive 0w-30 oil volvo spec for the engine it is laughable that they refuse to change the oil when it has been diluted with vegetable oil.
It is now a legal requirement that all diesel fuel has to contain 7% bio fuel.
The DPF engines were designed before this was a legal requirement.
The excess fuel getting into the sump was supposed to evaporate before causing problem. Bio fuel (vegetable oil) does not evaporate. Which is why we now are having this problem.
So the EU created the problem by insisting on DPFs being fitted to diesel engines and the UK government completed the stitch up by insisting on a 7% bio fuel component.
We have been stitched up good and proper the EU and UK legislators and the motor manufacturers.
End of Rant
chunderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 00:49   #19
dufeua

Clan I am led to believe the # 5 in Euro 4 can also be a dry filter. Doesn't necessarily mean its the wet regen system. [I note your previous comment about v70 application]. I think this applies to the 1.6d eng type but not sure if that's all models?
Do you concur?

Last edited by dufeua; Jan 9th, 2011 at 00:54.
dufeua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 09:43   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Yes the late cars from about 2008 and later have the same system as V70 ie a partic;le filter which doesnt need changing and no additive .. if there is no additive tank on the back axle it will have this late type particle filter .