Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying an XC90

Views : 2036

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2008, 01:22   #1
Road King Scot

Default Buying an XC90

Recently my 1991 940SE saloon was in a head on crash with a Kia 4x4. The 940 was travelling at about 40mph and the Kia at about 50mph. All three passengers in the Volvo managed to get out with just bruising and whiplash, and the Kia owner had similar injuries. The 940 was totalled though. I'd had the 940 for the last 13 years, so losing 'Sven' is a bit like losing a member of the family.

I'm now looking around for something to replace my trusty steed and have already decided it must be a Volvo. I'm seriously considering a used XC90 and was wondering if anyone out there has any advice about what to look for. I'm considering a diesel engined vehicle and was wondering if the 163bhp is exceptionally slow and is it worth looking at the newer 185bhp variant? Also how does the XC90 compare on longevity and strength/safety with the 940? One final thing. Is it better to go for a newer (2006) SE model with around 32000 on the clock or an older (2004/05) Executive model with around 52000 on the clock?

I've seen a few vehicles listed and some of the cheaper ones are now 4 years old with around 60,000 miles on the clock. Is this excessive on the diesel engines, or hardly anything to worry about as long as they've been serviced regularly?

Scot.
Road King Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:10   #2
gary austin

hi i think that 200k on a volvo d5 engine i would be woried but 60k its not even worn in personally i would go for the newer 185 bhp model as ive read that the torque problems have been ironed out with the grater horse power but thats just my opinion good luck gary
gary austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 11:38   #3
bircham

Quote:
Is it better to go for a newer (2006) SE model with around 32000 on the clock or an older (2004/05) Executive model with around 52000 on the clock?
If thry are the same money than I would go for the newr SE model. They have all the psec tha you actually need (cruise/climate/leather etc) but will be better built. They seem to have got better at building them over the years!
Jon
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 21:00   #4
30yearvolvoman

Go for the 185 because the 163 was a bit of a slug, get as much spec as you can for your money. Full service history is a must, there have been a few recalls and rear wheel bearings had to be replaced anywhere between 12 and 20000 miles but I think the replacements solved the problem ( I am sure someone might be able to clarify that one, mine have been fine after a few visits to the dealer with teething problems but have not been very far since). Front tyres if Continentals wear out between 12 and 16000 miles but reading the threads people seem to be getting excellent mileage out of Nokians. Fuel economy can be a disaster with a heavy right foot but with a lighter touch can return 30ish. Having had series of 740s 760s and a 940 myself you will find the comfort an equal if not better. Towing is a breeze.
30yearvolvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 02:26   #5
Road King Scot

Default The deal is done

Thankyou everyone for your advice. I've been down the local dealership and have managed to do an unbelievable deal on a 2005 XC90 D5. Even managed to get next year's servicing thrown into the deal. I was believing everyones comments where they said the non 185 XC90's were slow to pull away. Well, compared to my old 940 auto the XC90 seemed absolutely spritely. I can't wait to collect it in a few days time.

The only thing I now need to think about is whether to pay the £340 for the Supaguard paint and trim protection treatment. Most people round the web seem to recommend just using something like Autoglyn products rather than paying out the money. In fact there's a number of discussions about it on this website. Has anyone got any recent experiences/comments about protecting the surfaces in a new vehicle?
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 09:48   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Supaguard is a grossly over priced polish the kits COST less than £50 ... go and get advice from autoglym ....Then use your own labour to apply it ...
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 20:06   #7
jkss

I had supaguard put on my XC90 when I picked it up at the dealer. I like to stay totally objective but I probably wouldn't bother I cannot really tell the difference and I like polishing the car after a good wash. Only time will tell if its been worth it.
jkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 21:01   #8
bircham

Quote:
Has anyone got any recent experiences/comments about protecting the surfaces in a new vehicle?
I have applied the supagard protection myself - buying the kit off ebay and just following the instructions. takes a little while to apply thoroughly (you apply with the impregnated sponge) and then wait for it to dry thoroughly. All you do then is polish off with a soft clean cloth. You also get the carpet protector which is just a typical polymer spray - I did the carpets all over but obviously not the leather. Do not pay for the dealer to do this. i used to work in a car dealership and we bought to packs for £30, sold them for £299 and the salesman got a £50 commission.

It's okay and I think it helps to keep the dirt for 'soaking in' so to speak. By buying it yourself you can also reapply it as and when requiredas the sponge can doe several cars. There is no science to it and the 'extras' you get by buying from the dealer are just not worth it.

Jon
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 11:00   #9
Road King Scot

Default Thanks everyone

A big thanks to everyone who has given me advice, over the last few weeks, with regard to purchasing a 2005 XC90 D5. I finally picked up my Volvo Approved XC90 from my local dealership on Saturday. It's got 47000 miles on the clock but I just can't get over how good the vehicle is.

I now know what everyone means by the slight delay when you start off but I don't see it as an issue for me. Everything else on the vehicle is so good that this little 'feature' pails into insignificance.

I've already done over 200 miles and I'm averaging 35mpg on the motorway and 23mpg around town. I was initially concerned about a small pool of water forming under the car after I had the aircon on, but I've been told this is normal. (Hope this is correct - perhaps someone can explain why this happens)
The Following User Says Thank You to Road King Scot For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 09:52   #10
bircham

Quote:
I was initially concerned about a small pool of water forming under the car after I had the aircon on, but I've been told this is normal.
Yes, it is normal. The aircon works by removing the warm moist air out of the cabin and the moisture results in water that is dropped out of the sircon unit onto the road.

I am glad that you love your XC90 - we test drove ALL of the rivals and found that for practicality - spcae, seats, economy it was streets ahead. It is just such a well designed family car compared to the over blown and bloated Q7 and the weirdly designed rear seats of the ML.

Jon