Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

loud exhaust

Views : 4020

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2018, 00:42   #31
Ninjabob81

Hope that works? In this photo you can see the physical size of the box, the hanger welded underneath, the original tailpipe fitted to the box (just because I actually like the standard tailpipe on the TDI’s), but obviously it’s not yet up on the rubbers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E30F0C9F-61BB-47F4-9BCF-812AAB6DBECF.jpg (65.7 KB, 15 views)
Ninjabob81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 01:23   #32
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi ninjabob81, thanks for the pic. I had a look at the every exhaust company and they offer some cheap silencers of various sizes. Their cheap silencers are filled with wire wool rather than baffles. Would I be right in thinking that baffles would deaden noise more than wire wool but are a lot more expensive. That said would wire wool reduce noise.thanks.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 15:36   #33
Ninjabob81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Hi ninjabob81, thanks for the pic. I had a look at the every exhaust company and they offer some cheap silencers of various sizes. Their cheap silencers are filled with wire wool rather than baffles. Would I be right in thinking that baffles would deaden noise more than wire wool but are a lot more expensive. That said would wire wool reduce noise.thanks.
Hi mate, I can vouch for them!! Definitely made a big difference on mine, seems to be holding up well also.
Old Jun 7th, 2018, 18:38   #34
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi mate, Thanks very much for that; sounds promising. As you know Everyexhaust sell clamp or weld silencers. I dont know whether my mechanic can utilise the pipe from the clam shell silencer to the very back. Would you recommend welding as being easier. Would you also recommend the 12inch long by 8 inch circumference as being the best size to fit under the V70. I want a size that will give maximum silencing.
I am at the age whereby I can get down under the car to look for myself but the chances of getting up again are remote.
Sorry to keep firing questions and appreciate your help. jack
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 10:34   #35
Ian mallett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjabob81 View Post
Hope that works? In this photo you can see the physical size of the box, the hanger welded underneath, the original tailpipe fitted to the box (just because I actually like the standard tailpipe on the TDI’s), but obviously it’s not yet up on the rubbers.
I'm interested to know how loud the TDI was with a straight through. Mine has an empty cat shell and the one big rear box near the axle. I've been thinking about having it removed but don't want it too loud. I wanted to keep the 5 pot burble and have a nice deep sound. I've seen some videos on YouTube of TDI with a straight pipe tho & some sound bloody awful, some sound good.
Any suggestions?

2010 XC90 D5, R-Design SE 185 (I'm not allowed to abuse this one!)
Ian mallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 12:59   #36
Ninjabob81

Hi jack, to be honest clamp on or weld on really, depends on his preference. I chose weld on because I was kind of starting from scratch and had the welder to hand. I’ll have a measure for you in a bit but I’m sure mine was somewhere around the 12x8 size.

Ian, I really cannot recommend the straight through life....😂 Just painful really, and no real tone to it just noise and lots of it.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 13:02   #37
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

my favourite is the cherry bomb, they arent expensive
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 15:32   #38
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Ninjabob 81, Many thanks for that; most appreciated. By chance can you remember the bore size of the exsisting rear pipe please. thanks jack.
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 15:36   #39
Ian mallett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjabob81 View Post
Ian, I really cannot recommend the straight through life....😂 Just painful really, and no real tone to it just noise and lots of it.
😂😂😂 So what would you recommend I do from here, I have cat box but empty, original big box by rear axle & that's it except a 4inch tip from a v70r

2010 XC90 D5, R-Design SE 185 (I'm not allowed to abuse this one!)
Ian mallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 15:59   #40
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

save up to pay big fine for running a car without its emissions control equipment