Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Second hand Xc90 buying guide/tips

Views : 1447

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2021, 10:06   #1
Zchas13

Default Second hand Xc90 buying guide/tips

Hi, can anyone point me in the direction of an in depth buyers guide for the 2015 onwards Xc90?

Looking at a diesel power pulse but probably one of the earlier cars and probably towards 80k mileage.

Is there anything I should particularly look out for? Engine/gearbox particularly.

I'm going to be keeping it long term I hope, my 2008 xc90 d5 car has lasted well up to 198k, hoping to do similar with this one.

I understand the basic trim levels, probably going to get a momentum but is there anything in particular in the way of options which I should definitely hold out for?

Alternatively is the inscription trim worth the 3k or so price uplift on the early cars?

Many thanks,

Tommy
Zchas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 12:34   #2
techwatcher
Master Member

The one option I would definitely recommend is the 360 degree camera - makes parking and manoeuvring in tight spaces much easier.
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 14:45   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Check to see if all the recalls and technical work have been carried out, there were several on earlier cars, cooling system, power pulse pipe, EGR bracket, along with software updates, those are the ones I can remember, 360 camera and adaptive cruise control are good extras to have, I would miss them if I did not have them but general condition service record and mileage are more important than options.
Worth checking brake pads and discs as they are heavy on pads, and expensive if you have to pay dealer to fit them.
Batteries are expensive too, if stop start does not work it could be due to battery condition but if car has not been ran for a while may just need a run to charge it.
Generally these cars are good and most problems were software glitches, very few have any serious problems.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jan 18th, 2021 at 14:48.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 15:04   #4
Lozzingers

Hi,
I have a 2017 XC90 PP R Design, which we love, and has never let us down (owned for 2 years now). They are complex cars, and I'm not sure re engine tips but in terms of options:
Ours does not have front beepers - seems crazy - I believe they were standard on 2018, so do check as I would recommend them (or a 360 camera). We have a rear camera which is essential.
BLISS - should be standard but was (is?) a £500 option - this was my only 'must have' and has saved me from one definite crash on the way to hospital when perhaps wasn't driving as safely as usual.
We do have laminate rear windows as some earlier cars have issues with road noise - this is also tyre dependant, and we run CrossClimates with no noise complaints apart from vibrations resonating on the M25 concrete sections at 65-70mph.
The software is quite slow on pre 2017 cars (when the CPU was updated) so don't try and put a postcode in in a hurry when you get the car - it's rather fustrating!
The steering headlights are fab, but not standard after 2017 ish I believe.
Most cars have heated seats/winter pack, but ours doesn't have the steering wheel for some reason.
I'd love a heads up display - but I've read if you're over about 6 foot 2, you can't line it up right - only what I've read on this forum.
Some up, we love it - do go for the powerpulse if in budget, but watch out for tax increases for cars registered from the 1st April on 17 plates and onwards.
Happy hunting!
Laurence
Lozzingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 17:23   #5
Zchas13

Thanks for those helpful tips and comments.
Zchas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 07:14   #6
Duri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzingers View Post
I'd love a heads up display - but I've read if you're over about 6 foot 2, you can't line it up right - only what I've read on this forum.
I am 6-3 tall and no issues with HUD.
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 08:24   #7
Lozzingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duri13 View Post
I am 6-3 tall and no issues with HUD.
I stand corrected.
Lozzingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 10:25   #8
AB-UK
Premier Member

I'm only 5'10", and the demo car I sat in had to have the HUD on it's max setting before I could just about see it - couldn't read it without stooping.
That was a couple of years ago - it may have been changed since.

2 factors involved :
Seating position - I prefer to sit upright - more or less 90 degrees I suppose, and looking through the top half of the windscreen.
Personal features - proportionally I have a longer body and shorter legs.

Salesman said he didn't think the physical projector / mirror could be adjusted.

Moral of the story - make sure you check the suitability for your own personal preferences during the test drive.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 12:05   #9
TheDufster

I'm 6ft and the top part of my HUD display is slightly cut off. I like to have my seat as high as possible (without my head touching the roof liner) but I've had to lower it quite a bit in order to have the HUD where I can just about see it.

I've played with all the HUD settings and moved it as high as it will go.

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
TheDufster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 16:19   #10
apnicolle

The cynical side of me says "don't buy one without a warranty". Have a search, there are a couple of threads about warranties, from Volvo and other providers.
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote