Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auxiliary / Serpentine Belt Slipping Off

Views : 2728

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2021, 14:47   #21
BritInSweden

Still battling with the weather as you can see so not hired in tools yet. I do like Cheshired's videos and will follow what he does for the most part but he's working on a manual and mine's an auto box so slightly different procedure when loosening the crank pulley bolt. But yes will give it a shot with an impact driver before removing anything else. The special holding tool costs £60 up here and thanks to Brexit the import tariffs are too high to buy from UK now. Will try to loan, beg for one from a local garage.

These are the best pics I could take, no room and everything covered in frost. I guess it's hard to tell much from these until I get the pulley off. You can see from the shot I took from above that the crank pulley is a couple of grooves over to the left compared to the other pulleys.

I have ordered an INA timing belt kit INA 530 0582 10 and new crank pulley / harmonic balancer called ORIGINAL IMPERIUM 10310 plus bolts CONTITECH MS39. Should be delivered on Wednesday for about £125. Buying my own mains impact drill which is only £40 and I need it to change the tyres twice a year anyway but max 450nm so if doesn't work I will hire in a more powerful one.

The strangest and biggest problem I have had so far is tying to source original Volvo parts up here in Sweden. It's almost impossible. Volvo use a sister company called Billia which is their service and parts arm. BUT they don't offer any online buying options or links to price lists etc. Nothing. The only way to get a part is to go into one of their service centres then they order it from somewhere else. Been waiting a week for a response to an email so gone to one of the many German based after market sellers who totally dominate everything up here. Any original Volvo parts dealers in the UK reading this, if you can find a way round the imports tariffs, there's a market waiting for you here!

Plus temperatures but torrential rain expected later this week so will hopefully be able to make some progress and will update on anything useful.
Cheers.
Nat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crank Pulley 0.jpg (141.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Crank Pulley 1.jpg (184.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Crank Pulley 2.jpg (374.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Crank Pulley 3.jpg (315.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Crank Pulley 5.jpg (380.6 KB, 26 views)
BritInSweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 16:22   #22
Willow place

For the Crank holding tool I just got a large piece of angle iron and and with a little bit of grinding and drilling the holes to locate the crank pulley it worked perfectly .
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willow place For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 17:05   #23
oragex
Premier Member

As above, a simple thick metal bar cut and drilled correctly will do. A local shop could make it fairly easy. And that crank pulley is definitely offset, first time I see this
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 17:21   #24
damageandy

The pulley does look offset however not as bad as the other pictures and it doesn't look like its become separated. The belt does sit inwards towards the engine.

Ill get some pictures of mine tomorrow for comparison.

Another thing you could do is put the aux belt back on and then turn the engine using the crank nut and watch where the belt starts coming off.
damageandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to damageandy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 18:48   #25
northbradleys70

Give the outer metal part of the pulley a tap inwards and see if it moves. This will show if its become separated. Derek.
northbradleys70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northbradleys70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 09:02   #26
BritInSweden

Thanks again for the comments. Had a minor breakthrough today I popped the crank pulley nut off with my new 450 nm mains wrench with one little flick of the trigger. Easiest thing I have ever done on a car and £40 well spent. I had sprayed thoroughly with WD40 the night before. Been worrying needlessly for weeks about it which like all worrying is totally pointless.

Anyway, now I can open the bonnet as the ice has melted off it and looking into the engine I think I have spotted the culprit. See pic. On the far right edge of the crank pulley wheel is a black rubberish material which I'm sure shouldn't be showing. When I press the wheel to the right with my finger the metal outer part of the wheel slides back over the black rubber. As some of you mentioned this looks like the rubber insulation from the harmonic balancer has unglued itself causing the wheel to tilt to the left and the aux belt to slip off to the left (as you are looking at it in the pic). I can't be absolute about it until the wheel is off and new one fitted. I will take more photos when I get back out there tomorrow. This might be part of the reason the aux / serpentine belt can fail in these cars and I might have been very lucky.

The misses is now sending me links to leasing options for hybrid Kias so the pressure is more than on!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crank Pulley 6.jpg (243.3 KB, 35 views)
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 10:04   #27
damageandy

Its hard to tell and diagnose from pictures remotely, but you have 100% found the cause, that pulley has come unbonded.

I had it happen once on a VW transporter, pulley was bouncing around like mad, its not an uncommon problem as most if not all have these types of pulleys now.

Nice easy fix - may not be super cheap for a new pulley however you have got lucky with this one that could have very easily taken the cambelt out - its a good job you didn't start it and try and drive it anywhere.

Get everything marked up properly and the cambelt change is a doodle, especially using chesire's video.

Goodluck.

Last edited by damageandy; Jan 22nd, 2021 at 10:07.
The Following User Says Thank You to damageandy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 18:09   #28
BritInSweden

So Santa delivered his presents this morning and the weather gods were kind so I finally got at it. The outer part of the harmonic balancer came clean off as I wiggled it. The new one is next to it in the photo.

I followed Chesh’s video to fit the new timing belt kit and it went pretty smoothly except fighting to get the new belt on I noticed the top cam sprocket timing mark had moved a couple of mm to the left. The lower crank sprocket mark was fine still. I took the belt off then pulled the cam sprocket back but went 1cm too far to the right then got it back in place so the timing marks lined up again before I got the new belt on. I dare not start the engine; does anyone here know if it will be ok?

I did get the new belt on after half an hour of cursing. Realised I didn’t have the pulley lined up properly (allan key hole at 10 o clock) and for some reason it went on easily with the logo markings on the belt at the top where the cam wheel timing marks are. I then checked the bottom crank sprocket timing marks matched up too then put the balancer and nut on and gave the thing a couple of spins manually and seem to be ok, the timing marks are in place top and bottom and not strange noises.

I set the tensioner to the left slightly as the temperature was about 3oc. Hard to be exact but will keep an eye on it as the weather gets warmer.

Tomorrow I will try to get the harmonic balance tightened up properly and find or make a tool and make sure everything looks ok before I turn the key. Hard to see if the timing belt sits on the crank sprocket correctly but I am guessing it does or it would have slipped into place when it was turned.

Going to crack open a beer now and hope I still have an engine left when I do get to turn the key
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Timing Belt 3.jpg (231.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Timing Belt 5.jpg (174.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Timing Belt 6.jpg (203.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Timing Belt 4.5.jpg (289.1 KB, 25 views)
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 19:52   #29
damageandy

Aslong as the marks line up after you put the belt on it will be fine.

If you are worried, turn the engine over manually a few times using the crank pulley nut - if it doesn't lock up you will be fine.
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 20:28   #30
davebb
Premier Member

Brill Good find,
What did the new main pulley cost ?
it makes me wish I changed mine when I did my cam belt
Also I had to use a pole on my torque wrench when doing it up,
Good luck Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auxiliary belt, serpentine belt, v70