Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering wheel wobble

Views : 1021

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2021, 14:38   #1
kiloran

Default Steering wheel wobble

Is this likely to just be a wheel/tyre balance issue? At low speed on straight roads there's a noticeable oscillation from the steering wheel - if I let go of it actually moves (rotates). Car drives straight, handling isn't affected, and it clears up with speed. There's no slack in the system, car responds as well as it should to steering input.

I'm running standard Volvo steel wheels (14" or 15" I guess, can't remember) and tall profile tyres. '93 Estate 2l petrol.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 15:09   #2
827Roverman
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Is this likely to just be a wheel/tyre balance issue? At low speed on straight roads there's a noticeable oscillation from the steering wheel - if I let go of it actually moves (rotates). Car drives straight, handling isn't affected, and it clears up with speed. There's no slack in the system, car responds as well as it should to steering input.

I'm running standard Volvo steel wheels (14" or 15" I guess, can't remember) and tall profile tyres. '93 Estate 2l petrol.
Firstly check all your wheel nuts are tight/torqued up, check tyre pressures, check track rod ball joints, wheel balancing and a tracking check next.
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 827Roverman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 15:16   #3
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Probably a buckled wheel, swap the wheels front to back and see if it changes. Also being steel wheels check for corrosion as a few people have found when they get new tyres fitted the wheel is rotten inside.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 15:37   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

Most likely a distorted or damaged tyre , jack it up and inspect whilst rotating the wheel . you should see something out of true ..
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 20:40   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
Firstly check all your wheel nuts are tight/torqued up, check tyre pressures, check track rod ball joints, wheel balancing and a tracking check next.
Wheel nuts important. Decades ago my dad reported steering wheel wobble on his Austin A40. We found loose wheel nuts on the FNS. Once tightened, no more wobble.
I once had wheel wobble on one of my Triumph Heralds. It started after fitting the spare wheel because of a puncture. Removed wheel and and had it checked by a tyre fitter. Wheel was buckled.
Once had a wobble and pull to one side after fitting new tyres on the front. Tyres were not directional so changed the wheels side to side. Wobble still there but pull was to the other side. Complained to tyre supplier/fitter who checked both tyres and replaced the alleged offending tyre. Problem solved.
Once whilst hauling our caravan down the A1 with my Morris Marina a thumping and vibration suddenly developed. Investigation found that the RNS tyre had developed a “blister” as the tread rubber had separated from the carcass.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 21:44   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

In addition to the useful suggestions above, check your spaceship bushes (lower control arm to tie rod) as worn ones can cause this problem.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 23:55   #7
TonyS9
Premier Member

How is it under braking?

My wheel bearings were worn and the steering wheel rocked gently at 30mph, but near came out of my hand when braking hard at 70mph. It wasn't detectable by normal methods with the wheel off the ground.

940 bearings are not tapered and not adjustable, they seem to need changed around 150k miles.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 09:35   #8
Woody3537

Quote:

I had the same issue with my XC60 when I first got it, turns out someone had fitted a really cheap crap tyre to it, which caused the wobble. it got worse the quicker I went. New tyre problem solved.
Woody3537 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody3537 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 22:43   #9
capt jack
VOC Member

Vibration through the steering of my 1997 S90 turned out to be the lower wishbones, and specifically the rear bushes.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 16:38   #10
kiloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
How is it under braking?

My wheel bearings were worn and the steering wheel rocked gently at 30mph, but near came out of my hand when braking hard at 70mph. It wasn't detectable by normal methods with the wheel off the ground.

940 bearings are not tapered and not adjustable, they seem to need changed around 150k miles.
Absolutely fine under braking - straight and true, as I found out today in an emergency stop for a buzzard of all things. The ancient ABS on these things is entertaining to say the least!

Will get under it over the weekend and have a poke around. Got a small coolant leak to track down too.