Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering rack identification

Views : 4716

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2021, 23:23   #11
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGee19 View Post
Following...
I’ve heard “lion automotive” seem pretty good and competitive for replacement racks. £175 plus a £100 replacement surcharge.

I thought any car roughly after the facelift in 2004 would have a ZF rack?. And speed sensitive steering option was included with four-c suspension only?

Wonder how much would a good indi charge for the rack change? Mine is heavy and pulsing, but it got thru an MOT so I’ll live for another year or until it breaks completely
Make sure you have enough fluid in there, mine pulses but only when its very low on fluid....
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 23:36   #12
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
The easiest way to be sure is to look at the top of the rack, may turn the wheel to full lock at look behind it at the rack with a flash light, for a connector with wire at the top and in front of the rack back. It's easy to see. For the model, this is what Volvo is listing as genuine for 2005-up without speed sensitive Bosch 36050360 https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...60#description
May look at these options here https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/S60/Steering-Rack/
WOW, those are recon prices

It looks i need to pray that i do not have the sped related system, cheaper rack and no need for the coupler.

I am a bit confused re the 1st link, i do not see any of the product codes matching up with what Vida says could be that mine is a eu model and thats a US site? just guess lol, also the fact that it says that that rack is the non-speed related version yet in the description it states that;
When replacing this unit, you must also replace the steering coupling due to design update, order part number 30741950
but coupler is only for the speed related version hence why im confused.

I need to get my phone down to see if i can snap some images of the product code
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 00:03   #13
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
WOW, those are recon prices

It looks i need to pray that i do not have the sped related system, cheaper rack and no need for the coupler.

I am a bit confused re the 1st link, i do not see any of the product codes matching up with what Vida says could be that mine is a eu model and thats a US site? just guess lol, also the fact that it says that that rack is the non-speed related version yet in the description it states that;
When replacing this unit, you must also replace the steering coupling due to design update, order part number 30741950
but coupler is only for the speed related version hence why im confused.

I need to get my phone down to see if i can snap some images of the product code
I doubt yours has speed sensitive steering. I thought only the S60 R's & ones with 4c suspension had speed sensors on the steering rack. Cars with 4c suspension have buttons on the centre console that you can select to change the ride to comfort, sport etc.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 00:04   #14
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I doubt yours has speed sensitive steering. I thought only the S60 R's & ones with 4c suspension had speed sensors on the steering rack. Cars with 4c suspension have buttons on the centre console that you can select to change the ride to comfort, sport etc.
I thought those buttons referred to the suspension ride
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 03:50   #15
paddy74

As far as i know, they also set the steering according to the suspension mode. The more sport, the stiffer the steering.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 05:32   #16
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
As far as i know, they also set the steering according to the suspension mode. The more sport, the stiffer the steering.
It's possible for sure, I would have thought that vida would know that only the R and 4x4 had the stiffer steering
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 13:29   #17
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
I thought those buttons referred to the suspension ride
I think the buttons do affect the ride, but also steering. Cars that have 4c suspension will have sensors on the chassis & a speed sensitive steering rack.

My understanding is if your car hasn't got the buttons to adjust the suspension setup to comfort or sport on the dash, then it won't have 4c shocks or speed sensitive steering. Don't quote me on that though.

Quote from IPD USA:

"Models equipped with FOUR-C have comfort and sport options selectable on the dashboard.

In much the same manner as the human brain, the sensory information is received and immediately acted upon. The Four-C system has a sophisticated microprocessor and software that computes the motions of the car to adapt the hardness of the shock absorbers. The result is that the car is always fluid with the surface of the road.

While the car negotiates varying terrain, the shock absorbers are updated with new information 500 times a second. In essence, the system makes adjustments continuously, and instantaneously.

The Four-C is a first in the world of cars. To develop this totally new technology Volvo collaborated with high-tech system developer Öhlins Racing AB and shock absorber manufacturer Monroe (both leaders in their fields).

The computerized electrical system of the Volvo, known as Multiplex, also sends information to the Four-C system. Under severe braking for instance, the Four-C system receive the braking information a few milliseconds before the brake pads touch the brake disc. By then the Four-C microprocessor has computed how much the braking will cause the front end of the car to dive, and uses this information to set the shock absorbers to maximize control and tire grip.

When the car is accelerating, Four-C receives the corresponding information from the longitudinal acceleration sensor. Similarly, the system passes on information about a sharp deflection of the steering wheel a few milliseconds before the car actually changes direction.

So Four-C can predict what is going to happen, making the pun in its name (foresee) highly appropriate.

At this point, we do not know of a way to remove the Four-C shocks and struts from a vehicle without setting off warning lights, setting fault codes and potentially disabling onboard systems. Four-C is integrated with the traction control, braking systems and engine management on your Volvo so removing it is not a simple matter."
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 20:17   #18
VOLVOBOY
Lazy Member

Hi Bashy.
Here`s a few pics to help pin down which rack you have.
As a year`07 it almost certainly has a ZF model but make no assumptions.
The ZF number and pipe fittings are the main thing. All the other parts like inner/outer tie-rods and limiters can be swapped over if needed.
If you go the 2nd-hand route look at other Volvo models too. Some of them will be the same . This is risky but if you`re lucky you will spot a replacement part fitted not long before the car was scrapped.
Another option is to get hold of a same used one and have that refurbished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Early SMI Rack.jpg (73.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg The Speed Sensor.jpg (99.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg ZF makers number.jpg (160.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg ZF Non Speed Sensor, Threaded Pipe Fittings.jpg (155.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg ZF Rack with threaded holes.jpg (116.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg ZF Rack with sensor.jpg (129.2 KB, 43 views)
VOLVOBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VOLVOBOY For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 23:02   #19
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I think the buttons do affect the ride, but also steering. Cars that have 4c suspension will have sensors on the chassis & a speed sensitive steering rack.

My understanding is if your car hasn't got the buttons to adjust the suspension setup to comfort or sport on the dash, then it won't have 4c shocks or speed sensitive steering. Don't quote me on that though.

Quote from IPD USA:

"Models equipped with FOUR-C have comfort and sport options selectable on the dashboard.

In much the same manner as the human brain, the sensory information is received and immediately acted upon. The Four-C system has a sophisticated microprocessor and software that computes the motions of the car to adapt the hardness of the shock absorbers. The result is that the car is always fluid with the surface of the road.

While the car negotiates varying terrain, the shock absorbers are updated with new information 500 times a second. In essence, the system makes adjustments continuously, and instantaneously.

The Four-C is a first in the world of cars. To develop this totally new technology Volvo collaborated with high-tech system developer Öhlins Racing AB and shock absorber manufacturer Monroe (both leaders in their fields).

The computerized electrical system of the Volvo, known as Multiplex, also sends information to the Four-C system. Under severe braking for instance, the Four-C system receive the braking information a few milliseconds before the brake pads touch the brake disc. By then the Four-C microprocessor has computed how much the braking will cause the front end of the car to dive, and uses this information to set the shock absorbers to maximize control and tire grip.

When the car is accelerating, Four-C receives the corresponding information from the longitudinal acceleration sensor. Similarly, the system passes on information about a sharp deflection of the steering wheel a few milliseconds before the car actually changes direction.

So Four-C can predict what is going to happen, making the pun in its name (foresee) highly appropriate.

At this point, we do not know of a way to remove the Four-C shocks and struts from a vehicle without setting off warning lights, setting fault codes and potentially disabling onboard systems. Four-C is integrated with the traction control, braking systems and engine management on your Volvo so removing it is not a simple matter."
Thanks for the info, learn sommat new every

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
Hi Bashy.
Here`s a few pics to help pin down which rack you have.
As a year`07 it almost certainly has a ZF model but make no assumptions.
The ZF number and pipe fittings are the main thing. All the other parts like inner/outer tie-rods and limiters can be swapped over if needed.
If you go the 2nd-hand route look at other Volvo models too. Some of them will be the same . This is risky but if you`re lucky you will spot a replacement part fitted not long before the car was scrapped.
Another option is to get hold of a same used one and have that refurbished.
Thanks for the images, i am dreading this job even though i wont be doing it, i can see the car being off the road for far longer than it should be.

Question, the play in the steering, can that be something else, such as that coupling? Just wondering if the leak and the play are separate issues as i thought the leak was coming from an o-ring where the pipe pairs to the rack?
There is the other issue of the 2 wisbones knocking too, could these issues have led to a misdiagnosis from the MOT inspector thinking its the rack??
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 00:20   #20
Kev0607
Premier Member

Play in the steering could be the track rod ends (also known as tie rods). There's two (the inner track rod that connects to the steering rack & the outer that connects to the steering knuckle).

I would have thought that as the car has recently been MOT'd, any loose parts would have been identified. Then again, an MOT isn't a given that everything is totally perfect either. A pass just means the car has met minimum roadworthiness, yet there still could be the odd underlying issue here & there. After all, its known that some garages are stricter than others for MOT's.

For example, a car could have a suspension knock that's driving you nuts & it'll still pass an MOT without an advisory, if the person doing the MOT doesn't spot the offending part that is. Or you might get an advisory saying "x part is worn, but not resulting in excessive movement" & still drive the car away. Yet when you actually inspect it, it could be worse than what the tester thought was "not excessive" movement. I'm not implying that all mechanics/garages do this, but I've come across vehicles that are clunking very badly & they went through their MOT's without a single advisory! I'm not implying that your MOT was like this either, but its something to bare in mind.

I'd suggest whilst you still have the car to test the suspension properly. Worn control arms can also cause play in the steering. By doing this, you'll be able to rule out whether you have more than one issue. Check the steering rack itself, the mounts that secure it in place etc. I wouldn't just buy a rack for the sake of it... diagnose & then replace.

Here's a video that shows how to check the track rod ends (inner & outer) for play;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brI2feYiEi8

Watch this video. It shows how to test your control arms for play at around 5 minutes 50 seconds. Then it explains some of the other parts that can fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QyFFT_NHg8

If possible, jack the car up & have a good look around. Check the suspension parts for play with a pry par, look for split rubber boots on the ball joints, outer tie rod ends etc.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 16th, 2021 at 00:51.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: