Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does the rear wiper arm lift vertical?

Views : 1013

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2021, 08:31   #1
Yelper85

Default Does the rear wiper arm lift vertical?

Hi all,

Bit of an odd question, but should the rear wiper arm lift vertical and stay in place as mine only lifts about 20cm before it stops?

I've take the cap off and can see that part of the plastic on the arm fitting is hitting metal, however it appears to have been designed this way.

Do I just need to give it a really good pull as it feel like I'm going to snap the fitting at this rate?

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 13:04   #2
Mick787

Mine all lift outwards and stay in place on my XC60. The front wipers are obstructed by the bonnet, nothing else; so I put the ignition on, flick the wiper arm, then switch off the ignition when they are at the peak of the swipe. I have no doubt there is a sequence of buttons to press, but this works for me. The rear wiper simply pulls upwards.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 13:35   #3
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
Mine all lift outwards and stay in place on my XC60. The front wipers are obstructed by the bonnet, nothing else; so I put the ignition on, flick the wiper arm, then switch off the ignition when they are at the peak of the swipe. I have no doubt there is a sequence of buttons to press, but this works for me. The rear wiper simply pulls upwards.
I reckon I just need to have some Weetabix and manhandle it a little then by the sounds of it

Every car I've ever had or known allows you to put them vertical or in service positions, even for the purpose of car washing let alone blade swaps.

There is indeed a sequence for the front wipers to get them in the service position, and here it is:

1. Insert the remote control key in the ignition switch and briefly press the START/STOP ENGINE button to set the car's electrical system to key position I.

2. Briefly press the START/STOP ENGINE button again to set the car’s electrical system in key position 0.

3. Within 3 seconds, move the right stalk switch up and hold it in position for approx. 1 second. The wipers then move to standing straight up.

The wipers return to their starting position when you briefly press the START/STOP ENGINE button to set the car’s electrical system to key position I (or when the car is started).

Old Jan 13th, 2021, 15:10   #4
Easington
Master Member

And covered in the manual
Attached Images
File Type: png wipers.PNG (168.8 KB, 21 views)
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 15:18   #5
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easington View Post
And covered in the manual
The manual also states to 'Fold out' the rear wiper arm assembly so it must just need more force . . .

I'll post a pic of the arm snapped in two later

Old Jan 14th, 2021, 16:54   #6
Chrisv60

Just looked at my rear wiper and it appears to pull out to 45 degrees.
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 18:26   #7
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
Just looked at my rear wiper and it appears to pull out to 45 degrees.
Good news people, I can confirm the wiper does pull out to 45° as Chrisv60 suggested

Just needed a bit of oomph and now it's easily set between service and operational position (thank you Weetabix)

Old Jan 14th, 2021, 19:47   #8
Mick787

It appears that is what I may be doing Easington, but I had no need to refer to the manual, just used a bit of common sense to get the front wipers to stop in a position where they can be lifted to be able to clean the screen and the rubbers while not chipping the paint on the edge of the bonnet!
I guess I could also refer to the manual to learn how to check the oil level, or simply fit the police dipstick and use my eyes!
The list of uses for the manual may well be endless, for some.
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 08:54   #9
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
It appears that is what I may be doing Easington, but I had no need to refer to the manual, just used a bit of common sense to get the front wipers to stop in a position where they can be lifted to be able to clean the screen and the rubbers while not chipping the paint on the edge of the bonnet!
I guess I could also refer to the manual to learn how to check the oil level, or simply fit the police dipstick and use my eyes!
The list of uses for the manual may well be endless, for some.
Mick, what the manual tells you to do to enter the service position and what you were doing are not the same thing, if you had read the instructions given, but it appears reading is not your strong suit, as you also dislike reading the manual. I grant you that it achieves very similar results, and to be honest I do the same thing as you, as I can't remember the sequence but there seems no reason to criticise someone for providing the correct information.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 09:46   #10
Mick787

Thank you for your comment Rochinate. Actually I do find reading difficult, but that is another story. What I don't like is effectively being told to read the manual. What I did was let the OP know what I do. You may note I was the first person to offer a polite response to the OP. Perhaps I should have simply said, 'read the manual'? I know which response I'd prefer to receive.