Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 Engine Oil 'flushing' options?

Views : 1544

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2021, 23:48   #21
Mkengineering
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
How does it cause damage, out of interest?
The chemicals that are used in flushing additives can damage engine seals, leading to expensive repairs in the event of an oil leak. These so-called engine flushes can also damage engine bearings; turbochargers and other oil-lubricated components.

Other situations as I have mentioned is that the seals in the engine may be worn and leaking. But they, themselves, are “sealed” up with a combination of oil and sludge, thus, more importantly, keeping them viable and masking their true condition. Youll find that a lot of engine builders will tell you to stay away from these additives and just to use decent oil and keep up maintenance

As I have stated before many Oil companies have cleaning additives in their oils. But each to their own I suppose
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mkengineering For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 08:24   #22
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkengineering View Post
The chemicals that are used in flushing additives can damage engine seals, leading to expensive repairs in the event of an oil leak. These so-called engine flushes can also damage engine bearings; turbochargers and other oil-lubricated components.

Other situations as I have mentioned is that the seals in the engine may be worn and leaking. But they, themselves, are “sealed” up with a combination of oil and sludge, thus, more importantly, keeping them viable and masking their true condition. Youll find that a lot of engine builders will tell you to stay away from these additives and just to use decent oil and keep up maintenance

As I have stated before many Oil companies have cleaning additives in their oils. But each to their own I suppose
Thanks, it's interesting to see the detail behind your warning. Thread had reached that conclusion, as had to OP (i.e. a sacrificial change of regular oil). It's remarkable that manufacturers, some of them ostensibly very reputable, produce & sell products that will actively damage an engine.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 08:28   #23
400-ascona
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks, it's interesting to see the detail behind your warning. Thread had reached that conclusion, as had to OP (i.e. a sacrificial change of regular oil). It's remarkable that manufacturers, some of them ostensibly very reputable, produce & sell products that will actively damage an engine.
If there is a market, people will exploit it, all it takes is a disclaimer. Not that it matters after all the advice above, but I too would never use an engine flush.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 08:54   #24
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Agree with above. I too would be nervous about using engine flush products. I think if it were me the way I'd go would be to use diesel-spec oil for 2 or 3 changes, do the changes at say 200 miles then 500 then another 500, then replace with the correct normal oil for the engine, and use a good quality one too. I say diesel-spec oil, as I believe these normally have more cleaning additives than petrol-spec oil, so this constitutes a good compromise for me, as I'd be confident that although the diesel oil would be better for cleaning, it surely wouldn't contain anything that's likely to damage seals, and would probably be more "gentle" in its action. I think basically the secret is in doing lots of changes initially!

Cheers
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 09:21   #25
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
If there is a market, people will exploit it, all it takes is a disclaimer. Not that it matters after all the advice above, but I too would never use an engine flush.
That's interesting, because a disclaimer can't do that in quite the way that you say, and indeed my impression is that these products proliferate in the USA, where litigation is more routinely used by consumers.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 10:37   #26
Kev0607
Premier Member

Use additives at your own risk, as they say.

I watched a video the other day where a mechanic was servicing a BMW & he said never use flushing products.

On that note, I'm not aware of any manufacturer that advocates the use of flushing products in newer vehicles.

Be safe & do regular oil changes instead. Its not worth it.

I know many use flushing additives & have never had an issue though, so its swings & roundabouts... not a risk I'd take though.
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 10:41   #27
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Use additives at your own risk, as they say.

I watched a video the other day where a mechanic was servicing a BMW & he said never use flushing products.

On that note, I'm not aware of any manufacturer that advocates the use of flushing products in newer vehicles.

Be safe & do regular oil changes instead. Its not worth it.

I know many use flushing additives & have never had an issue though, so its swings & roundabouts... not a risk I'd take though.
I don't disagree - as I said, I'd only consider it in extremis such as well-gunked 9-5s
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 10:49   #28
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
I don't disagree - as I said, I'd only consider it in extremis such as well-gunked 9-5s
I think it’s difficult to ‘prove’ flushes do something one way or another. I had a very high milage cavalier once that drove superbly. Never used a drop of oil and I used an engine flush. Post flush the engine lost quite a lot of oil immediately and I ended up replacing all the valve stem oil seals.

Now the flush didn’t ‘ruin’ my engine. It probably did what it said which was to get rid of old deposits. Unfortunatly along side sludge it also puts gums over seals and stems etc and that what I believe it removed. My worth flush also says not to use on engines above 100k.

It all becomes a bit of a mine field. My XC90 was bought at 68k with yearly history however the oil was always pretty direct so I used a flush and then change every 6K.

To me at 68k with its history I believe all seals and such were ok and that varnish would not be preventing leakage. At 168k I wouldn’t use it.

By far the only way to reduce all risk of damage, and to get the engine clean is not to use a flush but rather to change and drain after 1,000 miles.

Incidentally I don’t believe any manufacturer supports flushing oils.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 11:21   #29
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I think it’s difficult to ‘prove’ flushes do something one way or another. I had a very high milage cavalier once that drove superbly. Never used a drop of oil and I used an engine flush. Post flush the engine lost quite a lot of oil immediately and I ended up replacing all the valve stem oil seals.

Now the flush didn’t ‘ruin’ my engine. It probably did what it said which was to get rid of old deposits. Unfortunatly along side sludge it also puts gums over seals and stems etc and that what I believe it removed. My worth flush also says not to use on engines above 100k.

It all becomes a bit of a mine field. My XC90 was bought at 68k with yearly history however the oil was always pretty direct so I used a flush and then change every 6K.

To me at 68k with its history I believe all seals and such were ok and that varnish would not be preventing leakage. At 168k I wouldn’t use it.

By far the only way to reduce all risk of damage, and to get the engine clean is not to use a flush but rather to change and drain after 1,000 miles.

Incidentally I don’t believe any manufacturer supports flushing oils.
I think that's probably the biggest effect - doing what it says on the tin and removing gunk when the engine's effectively being sealed by gunk!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2021, 11:30   #30
280E

Well, I'm glad that generated some healthy discussion

On balance, I'll leave the engine flush (and other additives) to this guy:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carpet.jpg (18.8 KB, 5 views)
280E is offline   Reply With Quote