Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DIY towbar V60

Views : 4549

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2017, 12:50   #1
Marley

Default DIY towbar V60

i'm considering fitting a towbar myself,is it difficult,and does the car need re-coding,is this necessary.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 13:11   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
i'm considering fitting a towbar myself,is it difficult,and does the car need re-coding,is this necessary.
fitting the parts is straightforward although you may have trouble getting the orange wire into the fuse box F4 position ! it is all documented on the volvo accessory web site . yes you will need the Trailer Module loaded with the software at the dealer .
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 10:15   #3
Mrs Wez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post

Did you do it yourself, if so how did you get 9n??
Mrs Wez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 12:45   #4
sandersc

Default Orange wire in fuse box

Hi

I am fitting a towbar on my Volvo and are really struggling withe getting the orange wire into the fusebox. Any suggestions?

Thank you Sanders
sandersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 12:56   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandersc View Post
Hi

I am fitting a towbar on my Volvo and are really struggling withe getting the orange wire into the fusebox. Any suggestions?

Thank you Sanders
not easy even for the experienced ! you pull the red tag out , then pull the top and bottom part of the fusebox apart as far as the catch allows then click in the orange tag .. the rest is up to you ...
Old Dec 12th, 2018, 12:57   #6
mikeouk

cant give any advice on fitting a tow bar, i bought a used v60 towbar and wiring off ebay and got a local fitter to fit it on the car.
However, one slight problem encountered was that the tow bar came off a businness edition and my car is an R design. The R design has two for lights, business edition has one, this caused a problem when wiring the caravan for light, the guy sorted it with some extra wiring.
mikeouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2019, 23:56   #7
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeouk View Post
cant give any advice on fitting a tow bar, i bought a used v60 towbar and wiring off ebay and got a local fitter to fit it on the car.
However, one slight problem encountered was that the tow bar came off a businness edition and my car is an R design. The R design has two for lights, business edition has one, this caused a problem when wiring the caravan for light, the guy sorted it with some extra wiring.
Did he enable the cars towing module software?
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 20:58   #8
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandersc View Post
Hi

Thank you Sanders
Not the 'correct' method, where you somehow have to 'split/slide' the fusebox, but a very easy and quick alternative method that I use nowadays:

If you look into the socket where the orange wire is meant to go there is a small 'ledge'. You just need to make something a few inches long, flat, about the width of the socket and as thick, or just over the thickness of the ledge, to compress the 'tag' on the end connector.
You could probably, just as easily, file down a lollipop stick or plastic 'sprig' to the right size but I tend to use a 3" nail or piece of fencing wire that I hammer flat (to same thickness as ledge) at one end, file the end to square and simply hold this in the top part of the socket, sitting it on the ledge, while simultaneously pushing the connector, alongside it, and fully home into the bottom of the socket.
If you are using the nail or wire ensure the battery is dis connected, just in case.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 00:27   #9
Hoodyedd

Hi all

So i am planning to install a towbar on my 2013 V60.Towbar otself is a straightforward job but the wiring is a different story... on ebay you can find two types, woth or without a bypass relay.can anyone advise on wiring? I have fitted a towbar previously on my c30 , wiring with bypass relay using scothlock connectors hooking up to tail light/stop light/indicator wires.there was a red lead that had to be run to the fuse box under the glove box.how does it look like on a v60? Would anyone be so kind to upload a few pictures of how the whole thing os wired? Many thanks
Hoodyedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2019, 09:11   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Read VIDA first to understand the original Volvo trailer module does on your car. On many Volvos the trailer module and wiring loom from Volvo is very reasonable priced. So much so that if far beats making your own loom.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote