Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc90 T6 problems

Views : 34875

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 24th, 2013, 12:42   #21
xc90tology

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondart View Post
Well you know what Chris, I had pretty much the same thing happen at 97k in Nov 2011. Had the codes reset, had tranny fluid changed, had 2 software upgrades with volvo at service last may at 104k, now at 116k and driving fine. So maybe it's alright for a bit yet...
Cool, let's hope for at least another 10K trouble-free. I certainly won't dare go on long trips around Europe with this car in the summer. Not sure what to say about the fluid change. it looks brown in mine, but I heard people say don't change it if there's been no contamination, as it may stir some of the old shavings up and cause more trouble.
xc90tology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 21:07   #22
400-ascona
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc90tology View Post
Cool, let's hope for at least another 10K trouble-free. I certainly won't dare go on long trips around Europe with this car in the summer. Not sure what to say about the fluid change. it looks brown in mine, but I heard people say don't change it if there's been no contamination, as it may stir some of the old shavings up and cause more trouble.
There is a magnet in the bottom of the sump so shouldn't be any shavings floating around. Worth changing the filter and the oil in my opinion.

Rob
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 10:56   #23
xc90tology

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
There is a magnet in the bottom of the sump so shouldn't be any shavings floating around. Worth changing the filter and the oil in my opinion.

Rob
I hear you Rob, but you should read about the number of xc90 owners whose tranny developed faults AFTER they've changed the fluid...
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 14:41   #24
xc90tology

Unhappy

Quote:
Well, I am back because the transmission service urgent came back too. We've done only 1K miles with it since March, when we had the trany inspected and error codes cleared. Now though, Volvo dealers are saying problem in the gearbox, you need a new one. We're talking £4k plus. We've in shock; car is on finance, and we certainly can't come up with £4k.

Symptoms-wise, first gear takes longer to shift (revs goes up to 2k before changes into second) the rest seems fine, except at 40 miles/hour I can hear this whine from the transmission - ominous sound, if you ask me.

Which way would you go? Try talk to finance company (what to ask?); try get the insurance to write it off; or try to get Volvo UK to pay for a new trany (unlikely, right?)
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 17:06   #25
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Well, I am back because the transmission service urgent came back too. We've done only 1K miles with it since March, when we had the trany inspected and error codes cleared. Now though, Volvo dealers are saying problem in the gearbox, you need a new one. We're talking £4k plus. We've in shock; car is on finance, and we certainly can't come up with £4k.

Symptoms-wise, first gear takes longer to shift (revs goes up to 2k before changes into second) the rest seems fine, except at 40 miles/hour I can hear this whine from the transmission - ominous sound, if you ask me.

Which way would you go? Try talk to finance company (what to ask?); try get the insurance to write it off; or try to get Volvo UK to pay for a new trany (unlikely, right?)
Did you change the oil back in March?
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 17:22   #26
xc90tology

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Did you change the oil back in March?
Hi, no I didn't and I am afraid it won't do any good. The fault in the gearbox is speed-related; i.e. a sensor or something not giving the correct reading. That's why in first gear it revs up to 2000 rpm or more before it decides to change into second. Can't see how changing the fluids can help it, but I may be wrong.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 21:01   #27
400-ascona
Premier Member

Change the oil/filter and get a software update. Shouldn't cost more than £250. If it works you are home and dry, if not its only £250 vs diving straight in at £3k for a rebuilt box.

Rob
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 21:08   #28
xc90tology

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
Change the oil/filter and get a software update. Shouldn't cost more than £250. If it works you are home and dry, if not its only £250 vs diving straight in at £3k for a rebuilt box.

Rob
Thanks Rob. As you're not the first to suggest this, I think I actually will do just that. Will let you know how it goes.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 11:12   #29
xc90tology

Update: Took Rob's advice (I was wrong) and went to Volvo independent garage to replace transmission oil and reset computer. Volvo stealer quoted me £190 for the job, independent dealer did it for £70. Signs of trouble to come are there: oil very dark and smelling of burnt - indication of tranny going, allegedly. However, I've now done 200 miles and red triangle of death has not come back, but I'm holding my breath. The whining sound was actually a bad nsf wheel bearing, which I am sorting myself.

Quick reflection: we've had two beemers before switching to Volvo, yet BMW dealer never patronised us for servicing an 'old' car; always polite, always professional and helpful. Volvo dealer keep saying stuff like: ah, this is an old car, we can't really do much. Wtf? So what, some cars age well, and even if they don't, how about a little professionalism? Snobs, unprofessional, or just careless?
Old Jul 24th, 2013, 21:27   #30
poisondart
Well la dee frickin' da

Quote:
Update: Took Rob's advice (I was wrong) and went to Volvo independent garage to replace transmission oil and reset computer. Volvo stealer quoted me £190 for the job, independent dealer did it for £70. Signs of trouble to come are there: oil very dark and smelling of burnt - indication of tranny going, allegedly. However, I've now done 200 miles and red triangle of death has not come back, but I'm holding my breath. The whining sound was actually a bad nsf wheel bearing, which I am sorting myself.

Quick reflection: we've had two beemers before switching to Volvo, yet BMW dealer never patronised us for servicing an 'old' car; always polite, always professional and helpful. Volvo dealer keep saying stuff like: ah, this is an old car, we can't really do much. Wtf? So what, some cars age well, and even if they don't, how about a little professionalism? Snobs, unprofessional, or just careless?
Did you have the software upgraded? Would be worth doing.

Regarding dealers, I wonder is it that particular dealer being unprofessional? I had my 2004 T6 serviced at my dealer, and I never felt patronised. I always see older Vovlos in for service and repair there, and when I bought a new XC90, the sales guy, who was relatively new at Volvo, said he was quite surprised at the degree of brand loyalty and the length of time people keep their Volvos.

Steak puns are a rare medium to be done well.
poisondart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awd, brakes, info display, surging