Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlamp plastic restoration

Views : 699

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2018, 12:58   #1
nrobinson

Default Headlamp plastic restoration

Hi

My Headlamps (2004 XC90) are a bit cloudy. I was going to have a go at restoring the plastic using some Meguiars PlastRX.

Has anyone done this before and can offer any tips. Might start with just with the PlastRX and a soft cloth before resorting to fine grade wet and dry.

I read somewhere that removing scratches and restoring the finish is only half the job and they actually have some form of special coating applied to them. Can anyone confirm.

Rgds

Nick
nrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 15:54   #2
4x4
I roll

Done a load of headlamps but not the XC90 yet. Used wet & dry then Farecla G3 and G10 then polish with a slight cutting compound and they came up like new
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 16:01   #3
Delta66

I tried the toothpaste tip, didn't work at all. Very fine grit, light pressure wet sanding, finished off with a polish did, but it was not perfect.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 18:39   #4
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, I bought a kit for mine, it included 1,000 2,000 and 4000 grit emery paper
. but most importantly a clear lacquer to spray over them. Without this final coating I guess the new finish will be short lived.

I am not sure what the make up is of this final item, but all the rest of components are readily available. It could well be the same stuff you spray after using touch up paint? Perhaps someone could advise?

Hope this helps

John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 00:03   #5
gmonag
Premier Member

You can use metal polish or a series of abrasive papers.

The most important thing is to seal the surface afterwards otherwise it will be just as bad in a month.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 11:00   #6
harvomark
Mitsideserter

My lights just failed the MOT due to deterioration, brought a Turtle wax headlight restorer kit of Amazon for £10.25 now completely clear.
harvomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 12:48   #7
OriginalTDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrobinson View Post
Hi

My Headlamps (2004 XC90) are a bit cloudy. I was going to have a go at restoring the plastic using some Meguiars PlastRX.

Has anyone done this before and can offer any tips. Might start with just with the PlastRX and a soft cloth before resorting to fine grade wet and dry.

I read somewhere that removing scratches and restoring the finish is only half the job and they actually have some form of special coating applied to them. Can anyone confirm.

Rgds

Nick

I have used the PlastRX on cleaning up Suzuki Grand Vitara headlights, it worked very well, but you need a reasonable amount of clean micro cloths to work with and also a fair bit of elbow work... Also found the PlastRX excellent at cleaning up the mega soft black external plastic trim used by RangeRover, it brings it back to a micro scratch free finish, but that is another story...
OriginalTDave is offline   Reply With Quote