Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stop/Start not working

Views : 17908

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2013, 20:14   #1
volvorocks
Rodney

Default Stop/Start not working

Generally speaking I switch off stop/start as soon as I set off as I find it annoying in heavy traffic.

However today I found it wasn't working when switched on.

Being a beehive full of knowledge of all things mechanical and electrical I instantly knew what it was - or rather didn't as I have no clue on these things...!!!

I switched it on and came to a stop again, and it did not work, so I went into the settings via My Car, went to the sub menu 'Drive' and noticed it said ''battery charging'' and something about ''stop/start will not work when the battery is charging''. I have never seen this before, but then again probably because the battery for the stop/start has never been flat, so obviously wouldn't show!!

So I figured I would post for anyone whose stop/start appears to not be working to have a look at this first.

So in conclusion its not faulty, its just that the seperate battery for the stop/start needed a charge - which is understandable really as the car has been stood for a couple of weeks

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 21:51   #2
Docs

Yeah I noticed this on my new MY14 about a month ago even after a couple 250/300km runs, message up start/stop unavailable.
Took it to shop but of course it wouldn't do then, it was fully charged and start/stop worked perfectly.
Then last week noticed it again plus it won't even play the radio with ignition off, get a battery low message up, so off to dealer again when I get a chance.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 22:26   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Generally speaking I switch off stop/start as soon as I set off as I find it annoying in heavy traffic.

However today I found it wasn't working when switched on.

Being a beehive full of knowledge of all things mechanical and electrical I instantly knew what it was - or rather didn't as I have no clue on these things...!!!

I switched it on and came to a stop again, and it did not work, so I went into the settings via My Car, went to the sub menu 'Drive' and noticed it said ''battery charging'' and something about ''stop/start will not work when the battery is charging''. I have never seen this before, but then again probably because the battery for the stop/start has never been flat, so obviously wouldn't show!!

So I figured I would post for anyone whose stop/start appears to not be working to have a look at this first.

So in conclusion its not faulty, its just that the seperate battery for the stop/start needed a charge - which is understandable really as the car has been stood for a couple of weeks

Regards
Actualy it is the MAIN battery which needs the charge . The stop/start only works when the Main battery is more than 80% charged . The secondary battery a small gell battery is usualy always full because it is so small it charges quicky .
The Main Battery on the stop/start is an AGM flat plate type and they seem more troublesome than the standard calcium silver one fitted to non stop/start cars . It should hold good charge for at least 3 months if all is ok . You MAY need a new main battery depending on the results of the test at your dealer.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 22:43   #4
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Actualy it is the MAIN battery which needs the charge .
Thanks for that Clan. Informative. I thought it was the little stop/start battery! I will take the car for a long run tomorrow then to charge the main battery up fully.

Must admit that the car hasn't been used much in the last few months, standing for a couple of weeks to three weeks at a time, then a few short journeys, then standing again. Doesn't do batteries much good that I suppose.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 22:55   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for that Clan. Informative. I thought it was the little stop/start battery! I will take the car for a long run tomorrow then to charge the main battery up fully.

Must admit that the car hasn't been used much in the last few months, standing for a couple of weeks to three weeks at a time, then a few short journeys, then standing again. Doesn't do batteries much good that I suppose.

Regards
indeed , the worst enemy of a battery is not being used . You may find the damage already done .
The battery will need a long charge on a charger first , use one which is capable of supplying at least 15 or 20 Amps . Overnight is not always enough . and when charging it is Important to put the charger earth to the CHASSIS ( or engine or gearbox ) of the car NOT the negative battery terminal , otherwise the car's battery monitor will not measure the fact that the battery is being charged and it will affect it's calculations . Try it see how it goes , and if it fails again get your dealer to do the onboard battery test proceedure whilst it is not working ..
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 23:07   #6
stutgart69
Master Member

Smile

Quote:
stop/start not working
I would have thought that was a good thing...
Has to be the most annoying thing ever invented (with the possible exception of reality tv)
stutgart69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 23:18   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutgart69 View Post
I would have thought that was a good thing...
Has to be the most annoying thing ever invented (with the possible exception of reality tv)
around 8% fuel saving in circumstances where it is needed .
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 23:23   #8
stutgart69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
around 8% fuel saving in circumstances where it is needed .
Will the starter motors cope with all the extra work though?
The Following User Says Thank You to stutgart69 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 19:15   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutgart69 View Post
Will the starter motors cope with all the extra work though?
of course , it isnt the standard starter motor , you would be surprised how thorough volvo have been with the stop/start system , the mechanical side and the software side ..
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 20:14   #10
stutgart69
Master Member

Unfortunately I have never had the pleasure of driving a new Volvo. But some silly womans insurance company were nice enough to 'loan' me a 320d M Sport for a couple of months the other year, and although I loved the car, I hated that stupid stop/start system. I actually found myself sitting at the lights with the clutch in all the time so that it wouldn't cut out. I think we drivers are born with an inbuilt fear of 'stalling' it , and it just doesn't feel right when the car does it all on its own.