Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 electronically limited?

Views : 1943

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 12:18   #11
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Oh, I obviously underestimated mapped T5... silly me :P
yeh pretty quick and that small turbo keeps pushing, but corners were coming up way to quickly so backed off.

Just to be clear, this was at 6am on Auto bahn with pretty much no one around.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 12:44   #12
FunkyMelon
Master Member

I've never understood why they even limit the speeds

Apart from Germany, you'll automatically lose your license at anything over 100 so why bother limiting them at 150+?

Either limit them all at 100 (bar Germany) or leave them all unlimited.....150 just seems a weird number
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 14:44   #13
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post

Just to be clear, this was at 6am on Auto bahn with pretty much no one around.
No need to explain, thats what Autobahns are for And there will always be M or RS behind you flashing you at 155mph

FunkyMelon - 150 (155) goes for "gentelmans agreement" by german manufacturers that decided to limit their max speeds to 250Kmh it order to not compete by max speed but by power/handling. I think back then all brands except for Porsche agreed on that, and now it just continues. I think new M3's are still limited unless you request limiter taken off (part of sport pack or something) and GTR35's are/used to be limited based on GPS system (if race track was detected by onboard GPS it was taking all limiters off). Its all to show "yes we are responsible manufacturer blah blah blah" but truth is taking any of that off is just a formality.
But as you said, except for Germany its rather pointless, I dont care whether Im restricted at 250 or not
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 15:45   #14
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
No need to explain, thats what Autobahns are for And there will always be M or RS behind you flashing you at 155mph
haha you would think but not flashed once going all the way to Nürburgring and back, in fact if people are flying along they tend to sit around that speed or a bit slower as the fuel guage just goes down rapidly and the roads are quite long as well as the breaks between services.

I drive through germany quite a bit and the only times I have had people driving at that speed is around the Nürburgring where all the m's and amg's come out to play and everyone just tagged onto one big group flying along which was cool.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 16:44   #15
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
haha you would think but not flashed once going all the way to Nürburgring and back, in fact if people are flying along they tend to sit around that speed or a bit slower as the fuel guage just goes down rapidly and the roads are quite long as well as the breaks between services.

I drive through germany quite a bit and the only times I have had people driving at that speed is around the Nürburgring where all the m's and amg's come out to play and everyone just tagged onto one big group flying along which was cool.
Ah, damn, Nüverbeen there myslelf, but obviously I watch too many "Veyron acceleration Autobahn" videos as I seem to think anything under 300Kmh is just slow lane cruising speed thereabouts
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 18:24   #16
Sysyphus

Yeah, great in theory, but spoilt when you need to stop for fuel every 20 minutes and new tyres every hour and a half
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 16:21   #17
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Direct quote from Volvo's press release:

Quote:
https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/e...eases/16341The
The performance flagship of the Volvo S40 range is the 2521cc T5. it generates a potent 230 PS at 5000 rpm. The peak torque output of 320 Nm is available all the way from 1500-5000 rpm, proving that top-end thrust need not be achieved at the expense of mid-range flexibility. The manual T5 can advance from 0-60 mph in just 6.3 seconds and will reach 149 mph. But despite its high performance, it still achieves an excellent 32.5 mpg on the combined cycle.
It must be limited to 240km/h....

What is also interesting is the same engine in S80 configuration is tweaked to 231bhp and 340 N/m... with 6th gear set as a 'pure overdrive ratio'

Quote:
https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/e...releases/16341
Fuel economy has been improved by cutting engine revs in specific driving conditions. In cars with manual transmission, this takes place by fitting a "longer" gear set, that is to say an increased span between first and sixth gear. In this way, fifth gear has the same ratio as the previous sixth gear, while sixth is now a pure overdrive ratio.
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 17:26   #18
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Direct quote from Volvo's press release:

It must be limited to 240km/h....

...'
but maybe 149 is measured/official top speed on itself? I dont think stock and bricky V50 can go that much over 240 so restrictor might be a bit pointless...
dunno
Old Jul 11th, 2019, 19:58   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
but maybe 149 is measured/official top speed on itself? I dont think stock and bricky V50 can go that much over 240 so restrictor might be a bit pointless...
dunno
all volvos have been limited to 155 mph for the last 28 years
Old Jul 12th, 2019, 08:02   #20
Welton
Premier Member

Still amazes me how eager even my standard T5 wants to haul you into 3 figures.

Naughty numbers come up very easily.

Does anyone else have drivers of new Diesel Mercs/BMW's try to keep up with your progress and then sort of back off and hide away with embarrassment? happens to me regularly, I think they can't quite believe how a 14 year old car is able to do it
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote