Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RPM fluctuations while cruising

Views : 626

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2019, 16:02   #1
AXB

Default RPM fluctuations while cruising

Hi

Recently bought a 2004 S80 D5 automatic with 250k km on it. When cruising between 55 to 85 km/h, it will repeatedly disengage and engage the lock-up clutch every five seconds or so, even though I keep the accelerator pedal fixed. This is not so noticeable when driving on flat roads but in uphills it is kind of annoying because the RPM varies by more than 500 rpm or so. It happens in both 4th and 5th gear.

However, when cruise control is activated this behavior is immediately absent.

It seems to be the same issue as discussed in this forum: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...RPM-fluctuates

Any idea for a new volvo owner?
AXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 18:21   #2
AXB

I see I have managed to put this into the wrong forum, maybe an admin can move the thread?
Old May 31st, 2019, 18:24   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXB View Post
Hi

Recently bought a 2004 S80 D5 automatic with 250k km on it. When cruising between 55 to 85 km/h, it will repeatedly disengage and engage the lock-up clutch every five seconds or so, even though I keep the accelerator pedal fixed. This is not so noticeable when driving on flat roads but in uphills it is kind of annoying because the RPM varies by more than 500 rpm or so. It happens in both 4th and 5th gear.

It seems to be the same issue as discussed in this forum: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...RPM-fluctuates

The first suggestion most will make is to change the oil. At that mileage the fluid will be so degraded.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 08:58   #4
AXB

The transmission oil was replaced a year ago according to the service history. It was performed by a Volvo workshop. Previous owner said this was done because the transmission was starting shift hard in the low gears. For me the shifting feels OK now.

I don't know if the fluid change was thoroughly done, so I will do a few dumps and fills myself soon.

if it was a transmission problem, why it would vanish when cruise control is active? Could the reason be external to the transmission?
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 09:35   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi

You are probably driving at the threshold speed , what happens if you go a little faster ? It is important to have the latest software too , both engine and gearbox , when was this last carried out ?
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 20:34   #6
AXB

I have found out that it happens below 1700 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You are probably driving at the threshold speed , what happens if you go a little faster ? It is important to have the latest software too , both engine and gearbox , when was this last carried out ?
Variations in speed does not matter, it will be the same until I reach 85 km/h. Then the engine speed will be greater than 1700 rpm and the lock-up clutch is continuously engaged.

The workshop said there was no new software for the car, and therefore assumed it had the latest versions. They also said the transmission was flushed (11 liters of oil was used)
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 20:54   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I have found out that it happens below 1700 rpm.

Variations in speed does not matter, it will be the same until I reach 85 km/h. Then the engine speed will be greater than 1700 rpm and the lock-up clutch is continuously engaged.

The workshop said there was no new software for the car, and therefore assumed it had the latest versions. They also said the transmission was flushed (11 liters of oil was used)
are you sure it is not actually dropping down a gear and then changing up a gear again ?
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 23:19   #8
AXB

Yes. The increase in rpm is proportional to the load, where almost no increase is seen during low load. Under higher load, the torque converter slip might be so high that a lower gear in lock-up would give a lower rpm. It doesn't change gear, this I have verified by manually switching the gear selector to 4, which will make it shift.
Old Jun 10th, 2019, 13:08   #9
AXB

I did the first measured fuel up today, and the fuel consumption from the trip computer has a 25 % error, which I believe is out of normal accuracy range. Could this be a connection with the gearbox?
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 12:50   #10
apersson850
Premier Member

Our two XC70 models, one D5, one D4, does something similar. But at lower revs. You have to be somewhere down below 1300 r/min or so (depending on load), when they sometimes do a smaller, hydraulic downshift by just releasing the lock-up. Either completely or at least somewhat (limited slip).

This is to avoid vibrations at certain load levels. Maybe your older model (ours are 2012 and 2016, with the six speed gear box) does this at a higher engine speed?
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote