Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2k mile Bavarian road trip completed!

Views : 1235

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2019, 16:56   #11
Markos01

Oh and for the record, there is nothing in it at all between the 2.7 245bhp Boxster and my car, they're almost perfectly matched. The roof was down in the Boxster so added some drag, but I had a passenger and double the luggage so I kind of figured they balanced each other out. These are all rolling starts by the way.

With the 355, it just can't compete with the turbo for a couple of seconds so the C30 pulls away and it takes probably 3 seconds until the 355 goes past and keeps extending as you'd expect, but very funny leaving it behind at the start of every 'comparison'!

No competition with the XKR, that just spanked me in every way!
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 17:06   #12
kmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
Hi kmb! When are you selling me all your optional extras?!

My mpg is good on this car, can't complain about it: the worst I got on the trip was 29, best was 35 (worked out by maths, not the in-car display), and driving was a lot of autobahns, some 'A' type roads and a little bit of town driving. Sometimes we'd cruise at 70-75 even on the unrestricted autobahns. I think If I was at 80 non-stop I think I'd possibly see closer to 30 too.

And yes, my speedo slightly over-reads more with the bigger wheels. Obviously the thinner tyres get the overall diameter very close to the stock set-up, but they do add around 2 mph at normal driving speeds, so a real 30mph as indicated on the satnav would normally show perhaps 32/33 with 18's, now it might show more like 33/34... guess it's better that way than under-reading!

Just realised yours doesn't over-read at all... on all my previous cars the speedo has always over-read a little, but I can't be 100% sure the C30 did when it was on it's stock 18s... and they're not going back on for a long time so I won't be able to check!
Thanks for the update, I was also shocked at zero over-read error as when UK side on long runs I'd always cruised past speed cameras at 75-78mph, which I now realise was super close to getting a ticket (10% + 2mph rule).

I'm still enjoying the car and all the options Now has 53k miles and I just replaced the original plugs with new Volvo ones (£46 delivered with FRF discount), even though the plugs that came out looked perfect, I honestly couldn't believe how much positive difference this made and wouldn't want to hang onto the 75k service interval.
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 17:09   #13
kmb

I should add, the trip computer doesn't do a bad job at economy calculations, but I've found with brim to brim fills and calculation, mine actually gets 1-2mpg better than the computer states, not sure how your difference is?
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 17:13   #14
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb View Post
Thanks for the update, I was also shocked at zero over-read error as when UK side on long runs I'd always cruised past speed cameras at 75-78mph, which I now realise was super close to getting a ticket (10% + 2mph rule).

I'm still enjoying the car and all the options Now has 53k miles and I just replaced the original plugs with new Volvo ones (£46 delivered with FRF discount), even though the plugs that came out looked perfect, I honestly couldn't believe how much positive difference this made and wouldn't want to hang onto the 75k service interval.
Absolutely regarding the 10% plus 2... at least you know now!

Mine is now approaching 56k after the road trip. My plugs were changed back in January when it was serviced by Tim Williams, IIRC he suggested the same plugs that the Focus RS uses (of the same vintage) so he put those in. Can't say I noticed much difference but a service without plugs never seems right!
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 17:16   #15
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb View Post
I should add, the trip computer doesn't do a bad job at economy calculations, but I've found with brim to brim fills and calculation, mine actually gets 1-2mpg better than the computer states, not sure how your difference is?
I'll double check. I haven't reset the car one for ages, I think it's reading around 31.6mpg... oh this just surprised me: my 'Road Trip' app has the overall mpg for the car at 31.79!
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 17:23   #16
domhart10
Volvo S40

Wink

Quote:
With the 355, it just can't compete with the turbo for a couple of seconds so the C30 pulls away and it takes probably 3 seconds until the 355 goes past and keeps extending as you'd expect
Time to drop in a K16 turbo!!!!

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 17:31   #17
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Time to drop in a K16 turbo!!!!
Me or the 355?
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 18:59   #18
domhart10
Volvo S40

You, or hybrid your k04 turbo

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 21:13   #19
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Me or the 355?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
You, or hybrid your k04 turbo
Aww, then the two of you can get together and double the efforts to find someone who will map these bloody things

Dom, enquired at REGAL motorsports who have some lambos and very high power VAG cars asking if they could map your setup. They got back to me this morning saying they couldn't talk to our ECU
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 21:22   #20
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Aww, then the two of you can get together and double the efforts to find someone who will map these bloody things

Dom, enquired at REGAL motorsports who have some lambos and very high power VAG cars asking if they could map your setup. They got back to me this morning saying they couldn't talk to our ECU
Who is best to remap these nowadays? Shark had good reviews and I think Ben from Shark will still do them even though he’s moved on... no idea who else though