Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Beware 2010MY XC60 Owners Manual IMPORTANT Error

Views : 92056

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2009, 16:13   #31
dodgyken
Master Member

Dazzler - What is the specific reason why your caravan insurance won't pay out?

1400KG is clearly not overweight for a V70 - UNLESS Volvo have responded believing your car is a 2.0 petrol OR they have responded believing the caravan was unbraked.

Additionally - even the V50 is rated at being able to tow 1500KG.

Your situation seems to be very odd indeed.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 19:38   #32
Dazzlev70r

trust me and whatch this space

If you have your service handbook and live in Uk get it out and read thoroughly from page 54

Its all to do with Volvo assist
read the terms and conditions and then ring VCUK
ask them if RAC appoint a contractor and they destroy your property where do you stand

Whats not in there... another misprint is Volvo and RAC have a agreament that RAC are not responsible for damage etc caused by anyone they appoint to come out to you on behalf of Volvo
And RAC use a lot of contractors

Volvo UK will when asked agrea this is a disclaimer although not published and unless you pay a solicitor to fight this in court then you wont get anywhere
In my case yes the caravan was totaly destroyed but not by me but the RACC who forgot to tie the caravan down

It was Volvo UK who confirmed firstly that caravan shouldnt be on the car and now the hidden missprinted disclaimers
Anyone laughing still? trust me im just the tip of the ice berg of the genuine customers who have hit Volvos hidden terms and conditions

Your ok once your car hits over 1 year unless you carry on with the Volvo assist package
As said in my case ive appointed a solicitor who is creaming me badly by sending letter after letter
I have participated my case in the watchdog program and know of others also doing so
There is a whistle blower giving an insiders view which when revealed will make a spanish time share company look honest
Dazzlev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 19:57   #33
gillberry
VOC Member

Dazzle reading thru your last post is this just the rac deal with volvo for the 1st year ?
I ask because I am an rac member and have been for years and am now a bit concerned if this is normal rac policy as I would hate to think that if we broke down in one of our cars that they would have the same attitude re that or our caravan . Because I am already an rac member I will not be using the volvo assistance on my new car anyway .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 20:11   #34
Dazzlev70r

Ive no idea on that Gilbert but dont worry too much my case is extremely unusual and im not wishing to scaremonger just make people a little more aware

In my case I can say its only for the Volvo assist package which is for first year but many continue with it

Its not visable that RAC are not responsible for actions of its agents but write or call Volvo Uk

I have a disclaimer in writing on RAC headed notepaer from a senior manager stating this
And confirmation today from Volvo Uk this is actualy a fact

RAC parent company is American a land where disclaimers and liability clauses have been around for decades
Volvo also now have similar parentage
If you break down or have problems and call Volvo assist here or in europe and RAC appoint a contractor who is un insured and not worth pursuing down the legal route then tough any damage is down to you
Your insurance wont cover you in all cases as its your responsibility to ensure the agents are adequately covered

Volvo Uk will defend this disclaimer despite the terms of it even bieng published
So its not just the brochures that were misprinted
its not just the handbooks misprinted
its also the service booklets misprinted

Any ideas who prints Volvos material lol
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 07:32   #35
dodgyken
Master Member

Why don't you answer the question??

What SPECIFICALLY is the reason why your insurance will not pay for the caravan? What SPECIFICALLY did Volvo say about your towings capability which invalidated the insurance?

I'm sorry for getting annoyed - but I have asked in every single one of my posts and you haven't answered.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 07:50   #36
Dazzlev70r

Ken so far I have given more than enough information to identify myself

If your concerned and live in Uk write to Volvo UK for confirmation on what you can tow and get this in writing.
If you ring them and ask then ask them to put this in writing they will not entertain you
They will only give you written confirmation if you write to them directly.

Ask them the towing capacity
Ask them if you use RAC if you have a problem under Volvo assist and a contractor destroys your vehicle who is responsible, what happens if the sub contractor is unable or unwilling to cover any damage

When you get these answers ask them two further things on breakdown side

Why do the terms and conditions only get given to you when the car is delivered as its in the service boklet and then ask them why the right of disclaimer of claiming against either Volvo or RAC is not in the exclusions yet should something happen both Volvo and RAC will fire off this disclaimer possibly making your insurance invalid after all every insurance company will wriggle out of a claim, if they discover you handed your property to someone else who then damaged it they will insist you go after them

Its not rocket science Ken, the office of fair trading are currently investigating along with TV shows etc

Many people have lost huge sums chasing problems and getting nowhere

Clearly there are more terms and conditions and a lot of them unpublished but will be quoted in the event of a problem
If you ask your supplying dealer at best they will print off websit specs, these are heavily disclaimered and for that reason will not stand in a court if you have a problem
Notice the guarded responce you may get
In your booklet is UK customer help number, give them a ring see for yourself
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 11:09   #37
dodgyken
Master Member

I have bounced a PM back to you.

As I said from the start, something is not quite right here. In terms of what you are saying there isn't just a small discrepancy but a massive one - which just doesn't add up in terms of what they (Volvo) would be stating.

I can understand a small misprint - EG 1600KG for all 2.0D - when the manual will only tow 1500KG.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 16:32   #38
Chris Wickers
Director

Default Response from Volvo Cars

I have just been emailed this response from Volvo Cars and they have asked me to put it on the forum:

Volvo Owners Club Towing Statement
25th September 2009

As a result of the recent confusion on this forum, we welcome the opportunity to clarify the XC60 towball weights.

We confirm that the maximum towball weights for the XC60 are as follows:

MY10
T6 AWD Geartronic – 90 KG
2.4D FWD DRIVe Manual – 75 KG
2.4D FWD Geartronic – 90 KG
D5 AWD Manual – 90 KG
D5 AWD Geartronic – 90KG

MY09
T6 AWD Geartronic – 90 KG
2.4D AWD Manual – 75 KG
2.4D AWD Geartronic – 90 KG
D5 AWD Manual – 75 KG
D5 AWD Geartronic – 90KG

We trust that as the pricelist error highlighted in this post quoted a figure under the maximum permissible weight, none of our XC60 drivers would be towing illegally based on this information.

We are very sorry if any of the forum members did not receive the standard of service expected from our Customer Relations team and we apologise for any confusion caused. We will, of course, be updating all of our literature accordingly over the coming weeks.

We note that Dazzlev70r has a different issue unrelated to the XC60 towing figures. From the information supplied on this forum, we believe we are already in contact with this customer and will do our utmost to assist with his concerns.

If you have any remaining queries regarding towing weights, please contact our Customer Relations Team on 0845 7564636.

Volvo Customer Relations

Kind regards

Chris Wickers

Last edited by Chris Wickers; Sep 25th, 2009 at 17:33.
Chris Wickers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Wickers For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 20:21   #39
Dazzlev70r

Wow the power of the forum

Id like in my case to confirm today I spoke to Volvo Uk and the lady certainly was extremely helpfull and has asked in my case for it to be re investigated

I have had an internal letter sent to me which shows in my case I am not the liar depicted previously and clearly there are issues

Massive hand to those who are both reading and listening and man enough to correct something not right

As they say anyone can make a mistake, its how the company react to its customers that makes a normal company a great company
Fingers crossed eh guys
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 11:23   #40
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

WOW. This is even more strange! The information that the Volvo UK product manager gave me via the dealer in Redditch is differenmt to what they are saying here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

The info supplied to me was that the price list was correct & the manual was wrong BUT the information here from apparantly the same source is that the manual is correct & the Price List wrong.

LONG LIVE TOTAL CONFUSION.

Chris Wickers:
I am going to send you my email address in a private message. Would you please forward to me a copy of the email from Volvo as this matters to me.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisE For This Useful Post: