Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B18A Valves

Views : 953

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2020, 18:59   #1
sleek lemur

Default B18A Valves

Valves.jpg

Hi All, Am dismantling a B18A for rebuild. Some of the valves have what looks like some sort of a cap over the springs. Obviously These are an optional extra (LOL), as half the valves don't have them. Looks like they need to be removed before I can apply the spring compressor. Question is, how do I get them off? Have tried some gentle levering with a screwdriver, but I thought I'd better ask an adult before I destroy anything.

Many thanks.
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 21:46   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

SL;

Those are the stock rubber "Umbrella" style "Valve Seal" installed on B18s (they are typically included in the top end gasket kit, lock into a groove in the Valve, B20s had a different style, actually located on top of Valve Guide)...the missing ones have hardened, fractured, broken and fallen away...you will likely find the pieces laying on the Cyl Head. If you are disassembling Cyl Head, just pop the remaining ones off Valve before applying valve spring compressor tool...they will likely fracture as you do this...no worries!

Cheers
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 21:55   #3
Nullifie

Hi, all of the valves should have these "caps". They originaly are of flexible rubber, but harden over the many years of hot oil and eventually break and the remains disappear in oilsump. You have to remove them, break them if neccessary. The pupose of these is to keep the downrunning oil as far as possible away from the valvestems and avoid the oil flowing along the valve stems in the combustion room. This only at the B18, the B20 has valvestem oilseals, the B18 can be remanufactured for valvestem oilseals similar those of the B20, but not the same for the valvestem diameter of the B18 valves isn't the same as the diameter of the B20's.
edit: Ron was quicker
Nullifie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nullifie For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2020, 23:28   #4
sleek lemur

Thanks to Nullifie and Ron. Great explanation!

I plan to upgrade with K cam and higher CR with dual SU's. I guess a later setup with valve stem seals would make sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleek lemur For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 00:07   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Keep an eye on those caps. The quality of those supplied now is variable. Some split after a few thousand miles. Pop the valve cover off now and again, even if you aren't going to do a valve adjustment. I think(?) that you can just about fit new ones if you take the adjuster screw right out. Need confirmation on that.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 13:28   #6
sleek lemur

Hi All,

If I go for a K cam, would it be ok to retain the standard valve set up from the B18A (am rebuilding the head in any case)?

Many thanks.
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 13:46   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Yes. Full cam kit should include followers. If buying just the cam you will need new followers. Old ones will wreck your new cam. As you are doing a full rebuild, it's a good idea to fit new cam bearings. Looks like you will be fitting a new core plug at the back of the cam so that helps.
Old Nov 16th, 2020, 13:52   #8
sleek lemur

Thanks Derek.

How about the valves and guides themselves? Will be renewing anyway; just thinking if the standard valve set up with the rubber oil sealing washer "hats" are up to the job.

SL
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 11:27   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

New valves and guides obviously a good idea, especially if you are having lead free exhaust valve seats. Volvo have used the rubber caps at least since the B16, maybe even the B14. At least 10 years worth of engines. They are tried and tested. Changes to rubber and plastic composites seems to mean that the latest ones can be prone to going brittle and splitting. You might be able to get better quality with current genuine Volvo ones but I wouldn't bet on it. It's pot luck what you might get with generic or no name gasket sets. They are there to seal off the recess in the valve retainer collar. That stops oil pooling there and running down the valve stem. It doesn't stop oil being sucked down the valve guides. The B20 ones do try and do that. As I said, the B20 guide is much shorter than the B18 one so can get away with a bit less oil for lubrication. They both need some.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 13:44   #10
sleek lemur

Thanks very much Derek. Sounds like I may as well stick to the standard B18 setup.

Just dismantled the rocker shaft and am investigating whether the actuating arms need refacing.