Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering bar terminal touching sway bar

Views : 1766

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2020, 08:20   #11
Army
marches on his stomach

Had another thought. If the vehicle has been lowered or the ride height is incorrect due to saggy springs there could perhaps be problems with steering components touching parts they were not designed to touch...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 09:30   #12
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

You can't mount the arm upside down
Still you can mount the pitman arm bushing in a wrong way
Did you change anything at the pitman arm combination?
Good luck, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 09:31   #13
norustplease

Looking at my standard car, you appear to have the steering arm correctly assembled but your anti roll bar looks to be substantially thicker than standard and may also be fitted slightly lower due to the bushing under the chassis member. If you chop back the thread on the knuckle joint, it may well clear.
I can't see that suspension articulation would affect this, but if the bushes on the anti roll bar (sway bar in US) are soft enough, then it is possible that with the car jacked up and suspension fully extended, this may make the situation worse.
norustplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 10:18   #14
old fart
Master Member

Just had a look under mine, as above, a somewhat thinner anti roll bar, but the clearance on the left had side of your car looks correct, so the fault must be in the idler, somehow. Putting the weight back on the wheels won't make any difference to the position of the components between the chassis rails. The idler to chassis mounting hasn't been repaired/altered, has it?
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 10:41   #15
adarvasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
If you are absolutely sure nothing has changed and all was well before you took it to bits...

...I would check

1) That the pitman arm on the steering box is not in the wrong position. (As in splines on shaft)
2) Nothing has been installed upside down
3) Nothing has been put back on backwards / wrong way round

Sometimes it is easy to put things on upside down or backwards

If you have changed steering boxes or idler arms then you need to make sure you've got the correct part numbers and measure the lengths.

On the whole I would expect the heights of the idler arm and the pitman arm to be the same. Most cars have a specification for this in the work shop manual (sorry can't find my PV book at the moment - so I can't look it up for you)
1. The pittman arm is in the correct position, it has a factory setting mark and other marks were added before disassembly.
2. Will check, even tough it doesn’t appear possible
3. Same as above

The steering box is the same, overhauled, idle arm was only cleaned and painted
adarvasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 10:43   #16
adarvasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Had another thought. If the vehicle has been lowered or the ride height is incorrect due to saggy springs there could perhaps be problems with steering components touching parts they were not designed to touch...
Thank you Army
The suspension is new, but standard
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 10:52   #17
adarvasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by norustplease View Post
Looking at my standard car, you appear to have the steering arm correctly assembled but your anti roll bar looks to be substantially thicker than standard and may also be fitted slightly lower due to the bushing under the chassis member. If you chop back the thread on the knuckle joint, it may well clear.
I can't see that suspension articulation would affect this, but if the bushes on the anti roll bar (sway bar in US) are soft enough, then it is possible that with the car jacked up and suspension fully extended, this may make the situation worse.
The roll bar is thicker, is the IPD conversion and was installed previous to the restoration without issues.
There is most likely an assembly issue on the idler arm side, the distances between steering arms and roll bar are different on both sides, the bushings are new.
Received an answer from Rob Henchoz to check the idle arm supports, I will do that in a few hours (it’s 4 am here)
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 10:56   #18
adarvasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
Just had a look under mine, as above, a somewhat thinner anti roll bar, but the clearance on the left had side of your car looks correct, so the fault must be in the idler, somehow. Putting the weight back on the wheels won't make any difference to the position of the components between the chassis rails. The idler to chassis mounting hasn't been repaired/altered, has it?
Thank you Andy for checking, as mentioned earlier, Rob Henchoz believes that the problem is around the idler arm. The mounting has not been altered in any way. Will keep on searching
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 10:58   #19
adarvasi

I am most grateful for your suggestions, keep them coming!
Old Nov 5th, 2020, 14:54   #20
Derek UK
VOC Member

Certainly the centre tie rod, the adjustable one, should be parallel to both the ground and the ARB. A picture of the whole front from underneath would be useful to see if that looks to be the case.
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote