Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B18A Engine Block queries

Views : 3025

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2020, 19:11   #21
sleek lemur

Yes, things have moved on. We're lucky in the UK to have Brookhouse as well, who can recommend combinations of parts to get the results I'm looking for.

Took the block, head and crank to the machine shop today. One of our correspondents on this forum suggested that the damage to the 5th main bearing thrust face could have been caused by the clutch and this is immediately what the boss of the shop suggested. He sees this damage often caused by people sitting at traffic lights with the car in gear. Luckily he pronounced the crank in good condition.

His method for shiifting the oil gallery plugs is to weld a lever to them...

In view of the age and high mileage of the engine, he recommended replacing valves and springs. Sounds like I'm going to need a new rocker shaft and....

Plenty to do now, starting with giving the garage a good clean.....

No doubt, as soon as I pick up the next part, I'll be back on the forum with more questions!
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleek lemur For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 04:55   #22
142 Guy
Master Member

I am not denying its possible; but, I am struggling with how riding the clutch at a stop light could cause damage to the thrust surface on the rear main bearing. Premature wear on the release bearing and fork, absolutely; but, damage to the thrust bearing, not seeing it.

That said it is good that the crankshaft appears in good condition otherwise that would put a serious financial dent in the rebuild plans.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 08:22   #23
sleek lemur

Well, the fellow was absolutely clear that he had seen this many times. He went on to say how in extreme this causes wear/damage to the crankshaft and can result in it moving fore and aft as the clutch is depressed. He mentioned the Triumph 6 pot engines from the 60s and 70s were particularly prone and coincidentally I had suffered this on a TR5. The car was crunching it's gears, even after rebuilding, then replacing the stave cylinder. I remember I was living in a rented bedsit and was working on the car in the street. I changed the clutch after work one night, problem still existed, the did the whole thing again the following eve, thinking I might have reversed the clutch plate.

I had read about the crankshaft issue and with sinking heart to my disgrace, on night three I solved the problem by threading a stack of nuts on the slave cylinder actuating rod. I then sold the car and bought a Volvo 1800S for £1,600!

PS, damage to block is easily repairable.

Last edited by sleek lemur; Nov 14th, 2020 at 08:31.
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 12:32   #24
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek lemur View Post
Well, the fellow was absolutely clear that he had seen this many times. He went on to say how in extreme this causes wear/damage to the crankshaft and can result in it moving fore and aft as the clutch is depressed.
Yes, it is a fairly common issue caused by abuse and I've seen it quite a few times in engines that come into the shop for rebuilding. Follow this link to "Motor" to learn about the various different causes of this wear and how to prevent it @ https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...ntion-analysis
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vintagewrench For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 12:44   #25
Derek UK
VOC Member

AFAIK the Volvo crank design isn't prone to this problem. The Triumph engines are prone and a test is to use a lever on the front pully. I think that thrust shims are used to get the correct "float". The shims then wear and are replaced as required. When worn the crank moves forward when you dip the clutch.

SL, are you willing to reveal the shop you are using for your work? Ask them first maybe.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 13:43   #26
sleek lemur

Coltec near Woodbridge in Suffolk. Recommended by a friend who has used them for years, and his father before him. Very approachable and patient with questions from a novice.

I used B&E Randall in Stanton for my B20 and was very pleased with them. Brian Randall used to build Volvo race engines in the day !

Scholar Engines are only a mile away from me and I know Amazon Cars use them. I did call them, but I was put off by something in their answerphone message. They sounded a bit unapproachable. Perhaps more used to dealing with people who know what they are talking about! They do have an excellent reputation.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleek lemur For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 13:56   #27
sleek lemur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagewrench View Post
Yes, it is a fairly common issue caused by abuse and I've seen it quite a few times in engines that come into the shop for rebuilding. Follow this link to "Motor" to learn about the various different causes of this wear and how to prevent it @ https://www.motor.com/magazine-summa...ntion-analysis
Thanks for this article. The bit on the extra care to be taken when installing the main bearings is really interesting. I need to read up on this stuff or I'm going to make some expensive mistakes, so this is much appreciated.

I have much to learn (was that a line from Kung Foo Kid?).
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 17:25   #28
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
AFAIK the Volvo crank design isn't prone to this problem. The Triumph engines are prone and a test is to use a lever on the front pully. I think that thrust shims are used to get the correct "float". The shims then wear and are replaced as required. When worn the crank moves forward when you dip the clutch.
This I can understand. Excessive clearance on the crankshaft thrust faces results in forward movement of the crankshaft when the clutch is depressed.

As to the Motor article, I suppose that it is possible that if the rear thrust face is of marginal design or the car is equipped with a performance clutch with high clamping force riding the clutch could result in wear on the rear thrust face (which is there to restrict forward movement of the crankshaft). However, I would have thought that type of wear which could result in excessive thrust bearing clearance would cause circumferential scoring of the thrust face associated with lubrication failure, not the gouges in the thrust bearing surface present in Sleek Lemur's bearing.

Perhaps at this point more of an academic interest.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Nov 14th, 2020 at 17:38.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2020, 17:55   #29
sleek lemur

I must admit that my damage does look more like trauma than wear. Luckily it's an easy repair. The Motor article pointed to the likely fault being somewhere in the transmission.
Old Nov 15th, 2020, 13:56   #30
Vintagewrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post

Perhaps at this point more of an academic interest.
Yes, with Volvos its not an issue. The link to "Motor" was included only to show that it can be an issue with some thrust bearing designs that are abused.
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote