Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

123GT Steering Column Bushes - replacement...

Views : 1478

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2020, 17:39   #1
greaserleo

Default 123GT Steering Column Bushes - replacement...

My steering column bushes I thought were worn out.I brought new poly ones and meant to install today. But the retaining 'pinch bolt' section that fits over the bottom shaft splines was SO TIGHT. I hammered the **** out of it.
Then heated it, had to give it such a pounding to get it off, the pinch bolt section only runs along half the length of the part that goes over the shaft so the bottom is just super tight.

I was walking it with a metal pole and a lump hammer.
But I realised that the old bushed were not so much worn, as the pinch bolt section was not eased far down the lower steering column so as to have the bushes fully engage.

Now I have the new poly bushes on I am wondering How I get the tight fitting section to mount all the way down, especially as I can't get behind it as the firewall is there.
Wondering If I should heat it but then it can melt the bushes?
Or if there's a special technique to get that part on. I know the slot for the pinch bolt can be hammered wider but the bottom section will still be tight. As in ridiculously tight.

Picture shows bottom steering column spline and removed part with pinch bolt taken out. New poly bushes inserted.
Pictures are here: https://i.imgur.com/TNZV6fx.png
and here: https://i.imgur.com/NzB6eN5.png

greaserleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 19:01   #2
142 Guy
Master Member

The splines have been seriously mangled on the steering shaft. That is going to present a serious impediment to ever getting the fitting with the bushes to mount correctly. Short of replacing the steering shaft with an undamaged replacement from another car, the proper fix would be to remove the steering shaft and take it to a machinist for repair. I suspect that the splines are to far gone for a simple clean-up by re machining and will require filling with weld and then recutting - that is going to be expensive.

Once the splines have been restored lube the splines with penetrating oil and lube the bushings with dish detergent. Place the fitting on the splined shaft and then use two small C clamps (2-3" size) to squeeze the fitting with the bushes on to the offset section of the steering shaft. The 2-3" C clamps should be small enough to give you clearance to the body parts.

You could try cleaning up the splines with a heavy wire brush and a Dremel type tool with a very fine cutting wheel; but, from what I see they are too far gone for a simple clean up.
142 Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 20:56   #3
greaserleo

The fitting I believe was never fitted correctly, I suspect from your reply that the damaged splines were preventing the fitting from fitting as the splines are damaged and so not 'slotting in'. It was sat way too high and so chewed up the previous bushes as only a few mm was inside the cups.

It was still on so tightly that I probably damaged the splines more by walloping it off. However, there is a lot of good splines left. So I think as suggested a clean up and some Dremel work should get it to fit. Also with the pinch bolt, even with 1/6 or so of the splines damaged it should make a very secure fit.

Good suggestion with the C Clamps, makes total sense - would you stick with penetrating oil or use copper slip for the spines. I have rubber and silicone grease for the poly bushes to fit in the cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
The splines have been seriously mangled on the steering shaft. That is going to present a serious impediment to ever getting the fitting with the bushes to mount correctly. Short of replacing the steering shaft with an undamaged replacement from another car, the proper fix would be to remove the steering shaft and take it to a machinist for repair. I suspect that the splines are to far gone for a simple clean-up by re machining and will require filling with weld and then recutting - that is going to be expensive.

Once the splines have been restored lube the splines with penetrating oil and lube the bushings with dish detergent. Place the fitting on the splined shaft and then use two small C clamps (2-3" size) to squeeze the fitting with the bushes on to the offset section of the steering shaft. The 2-3" C clamps should be small enough to give you clearance to the body parts.

You could try cleaning up the splines with a heavy wire brush and a Dremel type tool with a very fine cutting wheel; but, from what I see they are too far gone for a simple clean up.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 22:30   #4
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

This isn't a part of your safety only.
It's a part of the safety of other people at traffic around you too.
You did waste your steering box
Have a look to a other one. With "good luck" the gears if your box now are damaged or worn out.

Throw this box into the bin please. Every advocate and every insurance company will have a very easy goal if this car will be involved into a accident.
And your Karma will be destroyed too.

Be carefully at every part of the steering and the brake system.
Good luck, sorry to tell you this bad news, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 11:18   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

You could try this method.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-02-19_13-22-42_582.jpg (84.9 KB, 38 views)
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 18:54   #6
Volvo_133
VOC member

As has been suggested, the male and female splines dont appear to have been socketed far enough. It is a few years ago since i replaced the tired bushes on mine.
I simply removed the 2 metal post/pegs and left the splined shafts untouched.
You could try removing the bush post/pegs until you have the splined shafts correctly seated and then fit the posts and bushes. It was a bit of a fiddle as you say there is very little room. I do recall using a pair of small "G" clamps to pull things into place.
Weather you attempt to repair / reuse or replace the damaged shaft is your call.
Good luck!
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 21:11   #7
greaserleo

Cant work out what this is doing, is it to force the 'pinch bolt slit' apart to help ease onto the splines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
You could try this method.
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 22:14   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Exactly. You will have to pick the size of socket and U exhaust clamp that works for you. I saved that pic from the net quite a while ago and am not able to reference it back to a post or article. I looked like a good idea so I saved the pic. I know that this job is often very difficult.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 07:51   #9
greaserleo

Ahhh - I was looking at the slit contemplating the need for a 'v' shaped object to force apart, but now see the socket works by pushing apart the bolt holes.
Great tip - thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Exactly. You will have to pick the size of socket and U exhaust clamp that works for you. I saved that pic from the net quite a while ago and am not able to reference it back to a post or article. I looked like a good idea so I saved the pic. I know that this job is often very difficult.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 15:28   #10
greaserleo

I received new bushes, inserted into the fitting and placed alongside the spline shaft *and assessing at how it's meant to fit. *I've aligned where the pinch bolt has to go through, *this is also where it was 'originally' fitted since I've had it (a long time). You can see that below the bushings* there is about a 1cm space.

I am contemplating adding some extra bushings (cut from the old ones) to fill this space to stop the new bushings from slipping down. But I am also wondering if the fitting is the correct 123gt part. https://imgur.com/a/YWle3we

Last edited by greaserleo; Nov 21st, 2020 at 15:36.

Tags
123gt, bushes, steering