Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECM-9342 - Engine Control Module internal fault

Views : 4685

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 18:13   #1
GekkePrutser

Default ECM-9342 - Engine Control Module internal fault

Hi Everyone,

Just started a new topic (old one here) because I finally identified this issue and it is unfortunately worse than I thought. I have now bought a VIDA/DiCE cable and tried clearing it. But it won't go away and in fact the counter tells me it happens on every start. It is probably caused by installing the new battery as it happened right after. There was a spark when I connected it up and that may have damaged the ECM.

My ECU is giving this error: ECM-9342, ECM internal fault.

Does anyone know if there is any cheaper alternative to having the dealer fit a new one? Could the unit itself be repaired? (I'm good with electronics but I don't know ECMs). Or could I get any ECM from the scrapper and fit it? I assume these need to be configured though.

There also seems to be a "Reload" option in VIDA but it doesn't allow me to do it like this - I think this reload has to be purchased from Volvo. Because it asks for an order number. Would that fix it if I get the dealer to do this? If I check online the price only seems to be 60 euro or so.

The car still drives fine (no loss of power) but I can't sell it as-is (I presume getting NCT/MoT will be an issue) and I'm leaving the country soon. I'd hate having to scrap the car, I'd rather sell it for a few hundred knowing it won't be wasted as it's a great car otherwise. I would have just kept driving it if I hadn't been leaving

Last edited by GekkePrutser; Aug 22nd, 2017 at 18:23.
GekkePrutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2017, 15:11   #2
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Damn, it sound pretty serious. :/
No clue how to help with that, I get that you double-checked all conenctors going into ECU and all looks ok? Its pretty weird that all works ok and car drives, if electronic was fried up you wont be able even to start it right.
Reloading the software is dealer -only, require software p/n and purchase, but it may not help. Stealership will probably recommend a very adviseable ECU replacement and fitting for reasonable 700EUR or so you may aswell give up.
There are ways of sorting it out (cloning ECU to donor's car) and I heard ppl doing it (not in IRE though) but it is time consuming and also pricey so honestly dunno what to tell you.
You can always sell Vida to someone or keep it for your future Volvo (if so) and sell your car as-is without spending extra. Car will go trough NCT with CEL no problem so if only that does not affect emissions, leave it maybe?
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 20:29   #3
GekkePrutser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Damn, it sound pretty serious. :/
No clue how to help with that, I get that you double-checked all conenctors going into ECU and all looks ok? Its pretty weird that all works ok and car drives, if electronic was fried up you wont be able even to start it right.
Reloading the software is dealer -only, require software p/n and purchase, but it may not help. Stealership will probably recommend a very adviseable ECU replacement and fitting for reasonable 700EUR or so you may aswell give up.
There are ways of sorting it out (cloning ECU to donor's car) and I heard ppl doing it (not in IRE though) but it is time consuming and also pricey so honestly dunno what to tell you.
You can always sell Vida to someone or keep it for your future Volvo (if so) and sell your car as-is without spending extra. Car will go trough NCT with CEL no problem so if only that does not affect emissions, leave it maybe?
Thanks! Yes I did actually completely remove the ECU and put it back just in case. I would have opened it up too if that was possible (I'm good with electronics), but it is a big block of metal with tight rubber seals glued shut. I'd never be able to get it closed without compromising the waterproofing.

Yeah I really think it's just something simple, probably just fails the self test but actually working ok. I've driven about 200k with it and it's been totally fine, no loss of power either.

I'm going to give the car to a colleague. I bought it for very little 2 years ago (2200 eur) and this guy is just getting a license and wants to make a little project out of it. With some love he'll get it working nicely and even if it does need an ECU replacement it'll still be cheap for him.

In fact the way insurance is in Ireland right now I spent more on that than on the car itself (and that is with 7+ years noclaim - ridiculous).

But anyway, thanks again for all your help!

Yeah I'm going to keep the VIDA because besides this I was very happy with the Volvo. Won't need a car where I'm going but I won't be there forever.
GekkePrutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 21:43   #4
YM05

I read a thread earlier where someone was singing the praises of these guys for fixing an ecu.... http://volvodiagnostic.com
YM05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 10:47   #5
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkePrutser View Post
In fact the way insurance is in Ireland right now I spent more on that than on the car itself (and that is with 7+ years noclaim - ridiculous).

But anyway, thanks again for all your help!

Yeah I'm going to keep the VIDA because besides this I was very happy with the Volvo. Won't need a car where I'm going but I won't be there forever.
Heh, yep, insurance & roadtax in this country is a joke ;( how is it even legal for companies to ask 2.5k for insurance for car that is worth 400Eur on some cases? ;( Or give you a simple "f** off, we wont insure your precious and taken-care-of car just because its 16 yrs old..."

anyway - good you didnt open the ECU, I doubt you would find anything you can help with and only make it prone to water damage. If anything - go for cloning/repairing with companies like YM05 mentioned, but I would leave it as is. In here, CEL is no issue for NCT so it will pass, and maybe its jus phantom error that doesnt mean much (have the same with my fuel pump module ocasionally).
Good that your car will go to good hands, anythithing is better than seeing your cherished car on scrapyard :/ ]
good luck and enjoy the spanish climate, bit of a change from windy shores of West Eire :P)