Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5: the mysteries of MAF

Views : 698

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2018, 12:44   #1
moorgate

Default T5: the mysteries of MAF

Took the induction apart on the V50 T5 a couple of weeks back. Just out of curiosity really, since I did it in much more extreme circumstances on the V70 D5 and discovered centimetre-thick layers of gloop, air-leaks big enough to run a chainsaw motor, busted intercoolers... so I figured undoing a few jubilee clips couldn't hurt.

And it didn't. I felt like an obsessive-compulsive **** quite a lot, cleaning out essentially fine, hard particles of grit, while wondering what the big metal spider thing inside the intake, beside the air filter, actually does. I used one of those daft tyre sidewall cleaner foams, figuring that it couldn't hurt the plastic and rubber bits of the intake system - and indeed, they came up very nicely de-gunged. Even got the grot off the junilees, to reveal posh shiny stainless steel!

After all that the MAF itself seemed to be an anticlimax. Spritz from the wee bottle of glue-sniffer's doom I got off eBay, quick blast with an air-duster, job's done. Obsession returned when I put it all together though: I noticed there are tiny cutouts in the rubber flexi moulding that leave room for the jubilee clip screw mechanism, and that on my car they had been ignored, tightening up the clip any old place instead. So I put it all back in the right places, neat cutout gripped cleanly by the jubilee, no more grit inside, smooth mating surfaces for the pipes.

Bloody hell! I thought the engine & box were strong before I did this. Now it's got a full-on case of the giant elastic band effect. Shifts are executed *perfectly*, even at max revs. Boost management is bang on. is the MAF really that massively important to both engine *and* autobox?
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moorgate For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 20:21   #2
FunkyMelon
Master Member

So what is it you actually cleaned? Just the boost/intake pipework and the MAF?
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 08:14   #3
domhart10
Volvo S40

MAF is hugely important to how your car will drive. a dull maf or one going out will defenitly reduce your performance, its such a simle clean or replace if problem happens which makes it so good.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 23:40   #4
moorgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
So what is it you actually cleaned? Just the boost/intake pipework and the MAF?
Correct. Squirty foam and water for the various passive pipes and flexis, and the MAF liquid cleaner for the elements of the sensor mast.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 07:44   #5
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Will have to give that a go. I'd always read not to touch the MAF as most sprays leave a residue that can damage the element but will see how it looks as I do have some proper MAF cleaner.
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 18:11   #6
moorgate

Quote:
Will have to give that a go. I'd always read not to touch the MAF as most sprays leave a residue that can damage the element but will see how it looks as I do have some proper MAF cleaner.
Far as I can tell, most of the cleaners are neat IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) and whatever you clean it with can't be worse than what the engine can do. I took my X350 Jag apart at the same time; one side of the wires, sensors etc in the MAF tower on that looked like it had been coated in bitumen. quick spritz, bit of air-drying: job's a good 'un.
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 07:49   #7
volvopilot

Quote:
it's just a very thin iron wire isn't it? Bare metal. I can't imagine any cleaner can actually damage that. The most important thing is that the surface is clean.

the MAF housing is usually plastic though, so be careful using things like brake clean on the sensor since it might not harm the MAF, but it will definitely partially solve the plastic bits.
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 10:16   #8
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvopilot View Post
it's just a very thin iron wire isn't it? Bare metal. I can't imagine any cleaner can actually damage that. The most important thing is that the surface is clean.

the MAF housing is usually plastic though, so be careful using things like brake clean on the sensor since it might not harm the MAF, but it will definitely partially solve the plastic bits.
It's more that a lot of solvents can leave a slight residue on the element and can really cause havoc with the operation of the MAF.