Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 Audio options

Views : 673

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2019, 21:27   #1
paignton

Default C30 Audio options

Hi all, Brought my first Volvo this weekend, previously had Celica for 6 years, MX5 for a year, seat Arosa and Skoda Felica before that. Picked up a 2007 Volvo C30 D5 SE for 2.8K at the weekend. Really happy for it. It has been fitted with a parrot phone adapter, and I've noticed that AM radio doesn't work. Assuming the two are connected? Anyway I am football fan and would like AM radio, or ability to play via my iPhone (with the current parrot doesn't allow). What are your best suggestions?
paignton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 20:37   #2
volvopilot

I am happily using a FM transmitter that I bought off aliexpress for only 6 pounds. The sound quality is surprisingly good in combination with the high performance audio. I got the 'Onever FM transmitter'

The FM transmitter even seems to be generating a stronger signal than all other FM stations.

That's by far the cheapest and easiest way to listen to your football games and play some spotify.

Other options are: replace your current parrot for a parrot 9100 for example. That one is able to play music.
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 22:43   #3
paignton

For £6 one of those Bluetooth fm transmitters is worth a shout. I’ll try one of those and see how I get on. Part of me is tempted to remove the old parrot but I’ll see how big a job that is first......
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 08:24   #4
volvopilot

it's not a massive job, but the parrots that support bluetooth audio are priced around 150 GBP. Audio quality is probably a little bit better compared to the FM transmitter, but still not great.

honestly, the FM transmitter surprised me big time. I expected lots of static and noise.

the main thing is to find a frequency that works in your area. What you can do is listen to all FM frequencies with the FM transmitter off and pick a frequency where you do not have any audio and the least static. Then move on and turn on the FM transmitter onto that particular frequency.
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 21:44   #5
paignton

in case anyone is interested....
had the week off with the missses parents staying this week and decided today was the day I would have a go at this one. I want to remove the parrot and go back to stock, then try out one of these bluetooth fm transmitters. Took the "waterfall" off which was surprisingly easy to get at it. Pulled a load of gubbins out, there was wiring harness that needed to removed out the back of the cd player. The harness was particularly hard to remove from the CD player for some reason. It seems to run behind the glove box so that will be the next challenge, I presume there is some kind of amp living there. Will need to see how I can get at that.......
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 22:05   #6
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile aux in

If yours doesnt have an aux in in the centre armrest box, it is possible to modify the electronics to have a switchable aux in socket, not a trivial mod, but just worth mentioning, have done it on a 2007 C30 with good result, no noise whatsoever and you can then connect your iphone or ipod even works well as a hands free phone as a bonus
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 22:10   #7
paignton

Thanks Thassos. That sounds ideal, will have to look into how that is possible......
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 23:30   #8
paignton

Is this what you were talking about?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F221469940057
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 12:36   #9
paignton

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-XC9...kAAOSwE9pb4ufb
Found a cheaper one this morning that looks like it uses the CD player pins, that along side a longer AUX lead than in the pictures would work nicely.