Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 T5 electric problems

Views : 8930

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2012, 13:14   #11
don 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiki View Post
Volvo V50 T5 ’06

My V50 has recently been displaying the errors, “Immobiliser – See Manual”and “Brake Failure Stop ASAP” and the turbo has been cutting out. When I pull over to switch the car off to try and reset any errors the car auxillary lights turn on but the car won’t turn over at all. The T2 odometer totally clears but the T1 remains on the display. I have to wait anywhere up to 20-30 minutes before it decides it wants to start again and the T2 odometer comes back on again.

I took my Volvo to a friend recently who ran a diagnostics test from the OBD and it showed up 15 error codes but nothing was really obvious. He cleared the codes and the car drove fine for about two weeks until has started showing different errors.

It is now saying, “ABS failure”, the windscreen wipers turn on all of a sudden and won’t turn off and the indicators won’t operate.

I have replaced the windscreen wiper fuse which temporarily fixes the wiper problem but the erros and wipers come back on again a short while later. I have checked all the wiring connections in the fuse box in the FSP footwell and they seem to be ok.

There is clearly an electrical problem but no one seems to be able to identify the actual cause of the problem. Volvo have suggested a software upgrade, then an alternator problem, then a sensor problem, then a CEM unit problem. Clearly they don’t know what is happening.

I have seen a number of threads about these kinds of errors but nothing about an actual fix. I appreciate there are a number of possible causes.

Any information, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated!
just got my car back from volvo same thing, i had my engine cleaned 4 weeks ago and water got into the fiber optic plug they have cleaned all the plugs in engine bay and also told me that if you have a new pollen filter raplaced there is a plug under that which will cause same problem volvo charge me £240
don 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 13:21   #12
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don 2 View Post
just got my car back from volvo same thing, i had my engine cleaned 4 weeks ago and water got into the fiber optic plug they have cleaned all the plugs in engine bay and also told me that if you have a new pollen filter raplaced there is a plug under that which will cause same problem volvo charge me £240
Just what have they charged £240 for? What work did they have to do and what is on the bill?

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 19:41   #13
larsthebigone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiki View Post
Volvo V50 T5 ’06

My V50 has recently been displaying the errors, “Immobiliser – See Manual”and “Brake Failure Stop ASAP” and the turbo has been cutting out. When I pull over to switch the car off to try and reset any errors the car auxillary lights turn on but the car won’t turn over at all. The T2 odometer totally clears but the T1 remains on the display. I have to wait anywhere up to 20-30 minutes before it decides it wants to start again and the T2 odometer comes back on again.

I took my Volvo to a friend recently who ran a diagnostics test from the OBD and it showed up 15 error codes but nothing was really obvious. He cleared the codes and the car drove fine for about two weeks until has started showing different errors.

It is now saying, “ABS failure”, the windscreen wipers turn on all of a sudden and won’t turn off and the indicators won’t operate.

I have replaced the windscreen wiper fuse which temporarily fixes the wiper problem but the erros and wipers come back on again a short while later. I have checked all the wiring connections in the fuse box in the FSP footwell and they seem to be ok.

There is clearly an electrical problem but no one seems to be able to identify the actual cause of the problem. Volvo have suggested a software upgrade, then an alternator problem, then a sensor problem, then a CEM unit problem. Clearly they don’t know what is happening.

I have seen a number of threads about these kinds of errors but nothing about an actual fix. I appreciate there are a number of possible causes.

Any information, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry for re-opening this topic, but how did you guys fix it?

I have exactly the same problems from the topic-starter on a '06 c30
larsthebigone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 05:34   #14
Captainbenno

Default It's happening to me as well

So this issue has just started happening to me as well. Car (2007 v50) drives down the street fine, throws the brake failure message and says to pull over safely. Then all error and warning lights light up on the dad hand I can't take key out of ignition, then the Wind screen wipers come on by themselves for about a minute then stop. Totally weird!! Then everything is ok after 5 minutes and drives beautifully until if happens again the next morning. We have just received a heap if rain lately and it seems to have started around then. The temp reading also shows that it is -15c which is approximately 50 degrees in the wrong direction. Any tips appreciated
Captainbenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 05:58   #15
pgm
Master Member

When I had similar problems it turned out to be a faulty alternator. Start with the basics and make sure your charge voltage/battery is good. Then check and clean all the cem connections.

Paul
Old Feb 21st, 2014, 06:55   #16
KBB
Master Tech

Alternators have for some time been a cause of concern on vehicle electrical system that are predominantly controller Area Networked (CAN). When the are a host of unexplainable electrical issues excess alternator AC ripple can be the problem. The alternator will charge normally but if one of the AC to DC rectifying diodes are leaking AC voltage onto the DC supply circuit then ECUs can respond with very strange outcomes.

I have seen wipers start intermittently, unwanted injector and ignition events out of sync with normal timing, dashboard clocks needle bounce and auto boxes change gear unexpectedly.

The initial test is quick and simple and requires a DVM. Set DVM to AC mili volts range, with engine running connect red probe to the alternator power stud and the black lead to the alternator frame. With the engine running at idle and up to 2500 rpm the AC leakage voltage should be below 200 mv over that then suspect a diode leaking AC voltage. Do the test with a cold and hot engine as it is common to see normal reading cold but the leakage to increase as the diodes heat up. Eliminate this possible fault first before purchasing a CEM.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 17:46   #17
Gazzza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHyE8Vm1QIA
Old Jun 4th, 2014, 08:39   #18
FreakensNL

did you find out what the actual problem was??

Got kind of the same issue.. cleaned the terminals on the CEM (but didn't see any real problem there) anybody knows how you can open the CEM? did unscrew the 3 screws but no idea how it opens.. (almost broke the plastic)
battery and alternator are OK..

maybe faulty ignition switch?

would love some advise... in a car with 50 miles of wires it kind of gives you nightmares...
i read all over this forum/internet people fix it with a bit of cleaning of the terminals but not for me (ofcourse..)

Last edited by FreakensNL; Jun 4th, 2014 at 09:26.
FreakensNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 19:09   #19
musehazlerigg

hi read this forum
59 Volvo v50 1.6 diesel
released large black connection on passenger footwell fuse box and pushed home then re clamped Volvo restarted first time thanks Volvo members
musehazlerigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 22:07   #20
Charlie95

Hi,
I have a 2007 Volvo C70 T5 which has shown the same faults listed here and been intermittent over the last week:
Traction control light and listing traction control service required.
ABS Warning light
Brake failure stop safely
Reduced engine performance
Limp mode
Window wipers activated without activating
Unable to remove key from Immobiliser

After calling out a mechanic and family friend who has access to professional Volvo diognostics a multiple number of faults were shown as you could imagine.

He cleared all faults and we took it for a test drive luckily the ABS warning light and wipers came on in this time as the fault had been intermittent as I have already said.

He immediately said that the wipers coming on is a clear sign of a loose earth cable connection; after cleaning and tightening all earth cables the fault cleared and had been fine ever since.

There was one earth cable in particular which seemed to effect all the listed errors and that was on the right hand side above the battery under the bonnet (there are three earth cable and it was the left one).when we deliberately disconnected it the ABS warning light and wipers came on and when we reconnected it the light went off we tried this test a few times and it was clear that this was causing the issue and now running smoothly after cleaning up with wire wool and a dry cloth.

Always test the basics first before jumping to conclusions that it could be something major, this took 10 mins to check and saved a lot of money too!

Sorry this is long winded but I hope this has helped someone out there and put their mind at ease..
Charlie95 is offline   Reply With Quote