Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Powershift problem

Views : 16026

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2016, 11:31   #51
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronell View Post
Thanks.

Indeed I know it's a pain to fix, that's why I hope to fix it before it gets worse. I have no overheating messages as you correctly supposed. If it helps for more info, that down-shift kick was not present before the last oil change. Just the clunk was, but different, much lighter, and right at the gear change. Now it clunks harder and a few seconds after the up-shift.
I don't think there's much can be done to these boxes apart from oil change.
So, I guess it's a case of drive it till it drops really.
Mine has always clunked and clonked at times, but not specific to any gear, more on the driving conditions.
Good luck
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 13:18   #52
ronell

I surely hope it won't drop. Any idea why these boxes can't be repaired if needed? They do have parts inside, right?
ronell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 15:37   #53
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
I surely hope it won't drop. Any idea why these boxes can't be repaired if needed? They do have parts inside, right?
Yes they have parts and they can be fixed if you can find a company near by who will take them on. Probably looking at 1K + though at min. Mind you a new one is around 4K.
They are complicated bits of serious engineering.
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 16:00   #54
ronell

Thank you. I'll come back with other questions if I'll have any.
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 20:01   #55
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hey there!

I'm jumping in this topic with a powershift issue of my own. I have A V50, 2009, powershift transmission, 2.0D, 136HP, aprox. 117 647 mileage.

The problem is that sometimes it kicks really hard (sometimes lighter) and the car shakes when shifting down from 3rd gear to the 2nd, either when applying the brakes, or just let it slow down on its own. Also, when shifting up from 1st to 2nd, and the car is cold, I hear a clunk, which I also feel in the accelerator pedal. After it gets warmer, this clunk is gone. Other gears are working fine.

Oil and filter were changed about 6000 miles ago, but I am not sure how correctly that was made, although it was made by Volvo dealer in the town.

Anyone has any idea what might happen? I want to get it fixed if possible, before it gets worse.

Thanks.
refilling with oil is a tricky business not many understand the process ., your symptoms sound like low oil level i would change the oil and filter again . 3 drain plugs on early ones and 2 drain plugs on later ones .. put 5.5 litres of oil in the top filler and try that ... or you might want to try adding a litre before you do that to see if it helps , but you will need to drain it all again and put just 5.5 litres in . to ensure the correct level .
Old Nov 8th, 2016, 08:49   #56
ronell

Thanks. I am planning to change/refill oil soon. I hope that will help.

Does any software need be run by the dealer after changing the oil and filter?

Last edited by ronell; Nov 8th, 2016 at 09:21.
Old Nov 9th, 2016, 10:59   #57
ronell

Sorry to re-up this, but just in this case no one seen the edit I made on my previous post: does any software need to be run on the car by the dealer after the Powershift gearbox oil / filter intervention (either change or just adding more oil)? It's important for me to know that, because I don't want to go to the dealer again, unless it's critical. Thank you!
Old Nov 9th, 2016, 14:01   #58
Bungo
Premier Member

https://vimeopro.com/completemedia/v...video/29488374
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 11:59   #59
ronell

After watching the video, I take it that it's not needed to go at a dealer for software intervention. Thanks.

BTW, it looks pretty easy to do the change. Painfully easy.
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 14:05   #60
ronell

Hello.

Today my powershift gearbox broke down. Right after I started driving in D, I had message "transmission performance low" appeared and it wouldn't go past 2nd gear, I think I noticed some lack of power as well, but not really sure as I was in "I'm shocked" mode. It wont start moving in D mode right after releasing the brake, but a few good seconds later, and very very slow, but in R mode it did seem to be fine. Now it is deserted in a parking place somewhere in the city, as I cant go too much distance with it.

Do you have any idea of what might have happened, and what would be the cause and the fix?