Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power system service urgent

Views : 1088

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2015, 15:55   #1
rowdy

Default Power system service urgent

Got this message come up twice in the last two days, accompanied by a strange electrical whirring sound that rises and falls with the engine speed, and the battery light illuminated.

It was fine on Sunday, but my wife had to go to France on Sunday night in the car as a matter of urgency. Some friends accompanied her and one of them drove while in France as my wife hasn't done so before and didn't feel confident (I don't have a valid passport at the moment), but since I have driven the car when they got home it has made the strange noise.

On Sunday morning I checked all fluid levels and removed the headlights so that I could slide the lever on them to convert them for driving abroad. I also noticed a nail in a tyre so took the car to kwik fit to get it replaced, I did not notice the noise then, only when it returned from France.

My wife did tell me that when they were boarding the ferry they were pulled to one side for a spot check and the customs officers had a dig round under the bonnet.

Any ideas? Sound like an earth wire may have been dislodged?
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2015, 19:01   #2
Hadrian

I would almost definitely say the alternators on it's last legs, get the battery voltage tested. Change it sooner rather than later or factor in the price of a new battery too..
Hadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hadrian For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2015, 19:13   #3
rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
I would almost definitely say the alternators on it's last legs, get the battery voltage tested. Change it sooner rather than later or factor in the price of a new battery too..
Cheers chap, searched on here and yes that seems to be the likely cause.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 19:19   #4
Snipe

Exclamation ••power system service urgent••

Could it maybe just be the battery? I have a 2006 Volvo v50 and the Power system service urgent msg is illuminated but is it automatically the alternator or could it just be the battery is bad?
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 19:46   #5
dave79

had the same message on c30 2 litre diesal about 2 weeks ago turn out to be dirty battery post and clamps cleaned and no problem since.
dave79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 10:23   #6
x DTR x
Premier Member

I was having this message on my 2005 2.0l D, changed the battery hasn't appeared since.

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 11:04   #7
Cornish Expat

Default Alternator?

Had this warning shortly before my alternator died a couple of weeks ago.
Cornish Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 20:10   #8
dave79

Smile

Did this issue get sorted.
dave79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 04:49   #9
volvo for ever
Premier Member

start car up check charging rate ;if whirring noise used long screw driver for ear test

this is very common fault and easy job to replace yourself
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 17:00   #10
Resonance

I got this message pop up a couple of weeks ago when on my way down to parents, 90% into the journey. Got to parents house with the message lit up. A couple of hours later I started the car and the message no longer there, drove home fine without any messages.
Another week later I get an anti-skid message, that disappeared a few minutes into the journey and on return it never popped up.
Last night, well it was Blackpool illuminations on the dash.
Almost all lights came on, a message about brake failure and to stop carefully. I didn't think to take the picture of the dash.
Anyway pulled into layby and stopped fine. Tried to turn engine off and the key didn't completely free itself in the lock, it was sort of locked. Started the engine and it started fine but again some lights but not all, and also the windscreen wipers started moving without engaging them. couldn't even turn them off. So after a few minutes of wishing and hoping the wipers turned off, I turned the enigne off, was able to remove the key. Rinserted and restarted the car, and all lights back to normal, reached home without any further issues.
Done a multimeter test on battery and I get 12.28 engine off, at idle I get 14.69 and loaded up with aircon/fans and lights etc I get 14.66.

Not meaning to hijack this thread but is that battery or alternator? From my brain cells levels and google searches, it looks like battery should be replaced.
I have no records of when the battery was last replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3744_1.jpg (307.0 KB, 5 views)
Resonance is offline   Reply With Quote