Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2002 Factory Fitted LPG issues. Repair or scrap it?

Views : 1929

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2015, 18:24   #1
portuguese
frustrated bi-fuel owner

Unhappy 2002 Factory Fitted LPG issues. Repair or scrap it?

I think its old news, the NECAM factory fitted LPG system problems. I have spend all day reading here but could not determine what to do next.
Please do not assume I have not done my reading, and I appologise for the long text (trying to make it structured and detailed)

What Next?
  • ECU Software update?
  • Check/Replace solenoid?
  • New (costy) Necam mega vaporizor?
  • Refitted/Serviced Necam stepper?
  • Scrap this thing and never ever look at a volvo bi-fuel again?

I am very frustrated with this but ranting about it solves nothing, so I come for your help and guidance, before deciding to scrap this big spender and switch for a less spendy VW Diesel.

Before Servicing

Problem 1
Starts normaly on petrol, switches to LPG. After 4 miles, switches to petrol. Cannot switch back to LPG. Temperature almost normal. (temperature reaches one notch before normal).

Problem 2
Temperature raising from "almost", to "normal".Resetting does not switch to LPG. Or will blink for 5 seconds, sticking to Petrol.

Problem 3
Temperature normal. Resetting will switch to LPG. Engines runs unreliable, or revolves but does not run on petrol. Or runs very unevenly.
Some servicing
  • Filter was changed last year by previous owner, trying to solve this. No success.
  • Vaporizer was leaking, LPG servicing guys said it would confuse the system and I should try to buy a rebuilt one, or a used one.
  • Replaced the Necam Mega vaporizor, for a second hand.
  • Barely any change, so I had some servicing on the "Distributing"(?) part, as it had one connection wrongly settled. Another £100. Small improvement.

After Servicing
  • LPG kept working longer and longer, usually for 10 or 12 miles
  • Could randomly swith to petrol only in 3 miles.
  • A 120 mile ride setted the ECU nice and neat, started running always on LPG
  • Would easily switch manually back to LPG, if reset.
  • This was going well, for a couple of weeks untill it started dying on sharp curves or on a junction, in cold weather.
  • Finally, it just went back to how it was before, no changes, even with a very long 100 mile journey.

LPG fitter told me there is nothing else he can do. Now what?

I sometimes feel like getting petrol and lighting the S80 on fire. Driving me insane...

Lets bear in mind, this car is worth £400 and spends 13 L/100km (22mpg). Only scrapyard will buy it off me, specially with this malfunction. But if its running smooth in LPG, I will keep it a couple of years untill I find a V50/V60/V70.

THank you for your thoughts.

2002 Volvo S80 bi-fuel estate
1999 Astra van LPG fitted
1984 Cherokee V6 2.8 LPG
portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 19:55   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If when it is running on LPG it runs smoothly then my first step would be new solenoids on both the tank and front end.

As you are finding with what you have spent already as the faults build up with these factory systems it does not take long to spend what a new front end installation would have cost
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2015, 20:17   #3
portuguese
frustrated bi-fuel owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
If when it is running on LPG it runs smoothly then my first step would be new solenoids on both the tank and front end.
Thanks. It runs sweet while getting warmer. Will ask for a quote. Spark plugs might also need a touch. Guess costs are becoming unbearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
As you are finding with what you have spent already as the faults build up with these factory systems it does not take long to spend what a new front end installation would have cost
Indeed. Was frustrating. Luckily the car was cheap (£400) but is becoming a money pit if I insist on repairing the LPG and will never get it sold above £350 for sure. Only scrap.

2002 Volvo S80 bi-fuel estate
1999 Astra van LPG fitted
1984 Cherokee V6 2.8 LPG
portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2015, 17:53   #4
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I have a big bet that what you see is your stepper motor. There is an inherent design fault with these. I fix it. Better than new. I have a six in my stash at present. Might be able to sort something out on exchange basis for your core. I fix 'em. £250.00 or less if you coem to me, and if I'm wrong, I charge you nothing. But I 'm not. And I'll share all I know into the bargain. The vaporiser will cause rough running or more liekly poor or no starting. Doubt its solenoids.

But I am afraid I no longer help without your core first. I've found I don't get the cores back otherwise. PM me.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Dec 19th, 2015 at 18:27.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 08:03   #5
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
I have a big bet that what you see is your stepper motor. .
I would agree, I used to run a bi-fuel S60 and had similar symptoms, a new stepper cured it. Unfortunately 'CNG' wasn't fixing them then - I had a look myself but couldn't suss it out so bought new.

Incidentally on mine the faulty stepper showed a DTC (gaseous motor or something like that) on vida. It may be worth getting your fault codes read if you haven't already so try and confirm the fault.

If you're wondering I only got rid of the S60 as we needed an estate with the arrival of kids, couldn't get the pram in the S60 boot - I had to turn to diesel as I couldn't find a bi-fuel V70 at the time.

Last edited by reggit; Dec 20th, 2015 at 08:06.
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 09:09   #6
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Doubt its solenoids.
So we're agreed. The bloke should stock-up on a stepper-motor. Meanwhile I've just got myself an aposthrophe on ebay.

See below.

"Doubt it's your solenoid(s)."
Old Dec 20th, 2015, 10:17   #7
reggit
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Meanwhile I've just got myself an aposthrophe on ebay.
I bet not many people would bid on that. I usually find 'Apostrophe' sells for more!

;-)
Old Dec 24th, 2015, 03:24   #8
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Smile

Oh dear, egg-on-face, you're so right.

Tags
bifuel, frustrated, lpg, problems