Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

driver and passenger seat squeak

Views : 540

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2018, 17:43   #1
volvopilot

Default driver and passenger seat squeak

As the title suggests, there is a squeak in both of the front seats. only noticeable when cornering at higher speeds and it sounds like the seat sets itself on the frame.

not very loud, but still a little bit annoying. I found a couple of other topics with the same problem but not a specific instruction related to the seats. I have the electric memory seats and I was wondering where the silicone spray needs to be added. Anyone who has a diagram/photo?
volvopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 12:19   #2
volvopilot

anyone who could tip me for some good stuff to use atleast? I was thinking of WD-40 yellow with silicone. Regular WD-40 would solve again in a couple of weeks wouldn't it?
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 13:00   #3
moorgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvopilot View Post
anyone who could tip me for some good stuff to use atleast? I was thinking of WD-40 yellow with silicone. Regular WD-40 would solve again in a couple of weeks wouldn't it?
WD40 is primarily a solvent. When it provides lubrication, it's doing it by dissolving some dried-up gunk that was previously doing the lubricating! For things like interior trim I have a can of copper spray-grease, though this is getting a bit low now and is frequently substituted by a little squeezy bottle of extra-thick bicycle chain lube.
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moorgate For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 13:25   #4
volvopilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorgate View Post
WD40 is primarily a solvent. When it provides lubrication, it's doing it by dissolving some dried-up gunk that was previously doing the lubricating! For things like interior trim I have a can of copper spray-grease, though this is getting a bit low now and is frequently substituted by a little squeezy bottle of extra-thick bicycle chain lube.
than you! does the copper grease not stain on the plastic?
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 16:09   #5
moorgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvopilot View Post
than you! does the copper grease not stain on the plastic?
I don't lubricate the plastic with that! I do the rails and levers. For plastic trim, erm... I use silicone based sex lube!!! a tiny strip of it in the contact patches between plastic mouldings and everything qietens right down. On the seats, I mean.

(well, you asked...!)
moorgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 12:58   #6
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Hi
You are experiencing something that volvo failed on miserably and was present in almost every single P1 car at some point. Its the WHIPS system in the seats that after some time start to squeak and annoys the hell out of you. Volvo addressed it long time ago with a recall (or advisory work, dunno) on some markets. Now you can do the same (follow procedure from PDF and put the felt in the contact point, but it require some hassle) or just simply spray those points with spray grease without removing the console. I did it last year and no squeaks ever since. Just make sure you lean the seat back and forward and spray every side in each of this position until you ultimately get the grease in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo-xc60-whiplash-protection-system1.jpg (56.8 KB, 8 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Seat Knocking Noise.pdf (1.25 MB, 2 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post: