Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

When the change Brake Discs?

Views : 438

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2018, 20:47   #1
philrocks

Default When the change Brake Discs?

Hey guys,

Anyone know how to tell if your disc needs replacing?

I did notice the outer pad has worn more than the inner, so it might be a piston or something is sticking, will check that. But I have no idea how to tell if a disc needs changing.

Cheers,
Phil

Previous Volvos: Volvo S40 1.9d

philrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 21:16   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

If you have any kind of vibration when braking, you almost certainly need new discs.

A car that is riding on brand new discs and pads all round rolls very smoothly. You can just feel it.

If there is a significant lipped edge on the disc then I have found that you get some low frequency groaning from the pads as the edge rubs against the lip when moving and steering at low speed.

also If you're the sort of people who sits with your foot on the brake at traffic lights, you should change your discs every time you change the pads!

Last edited by T5R92011; Jul 1st, 2018 at 21:20.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 22:39   #3
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile You can always measure the disc

Discs have an acceptable range of thickness, the min thickness should be fairly easy to find, then you need somethung like a micrometer or digial vernier for accurate results, but its generally something like 2mm less in thickness from brand new to worn out discs on front ventilated discs, its also possible you could have warped discs if they are poor quality or have had a hard life with regular overheating.., you usually notice vibration on braking from something like 70 mph less, i recently swapped front discs and pads on a car that was showing vibration at the described speed, result (after they had bedded in) was super smooth and much more effective braking with no vibration.. so its worth it..

I tend to stick with oem braking parts, although pagid make some good quality discs in my opinion.

And good point T5r.. probably something 90% of drivers are unaware of,
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 17:28   #4
keefbeef

Should always bear in mind that if you leave a disc/pad change too long - you can end up having to replace the calipers as well. The piston's come out too far and water gets in pass the seal.

Just replace my front discs/pads for £80 - well worth the money - but unfortunately I don't take my own medicine and had to get a caliper as well. At £65 - not too pad - I've had to pay more!
keefbeef is offline   Reply With Quote