Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

d5252t turbo

Views : 10680

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 6th, 2013, 21:17   #1
Weicco

Default d5252t turbo

Hi. I am interested to know if anyone have replaced the original kkk14 turbo with a bigger one. I´d like to have some opinions about replacement turbos. Witch ones will fit without major modifications? and what is ideal for maintaining boost pressure around 1,5 bar. (Stock boost 0,9bar) Oh and i am not looking for a BIG turbo that wakes up at 4000 rpm THX!
Weicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2013, 20:43   #2
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Kind of depends what power you are wanting to achieve. With a 16T fitted I reached 235bhp and 450NM but that was with bigger nozzles and a host of other mods. Just strapping a bigger turbo on will do nothing even at 1.5 bar if you haven't got enough fuel to go with it. Currently I have the k14 back on running 1.3 bar and a tuning-diesels box for extra fuel + bigger nozzles, I hit 191hp and 410NM last dyno. But be prepared to replace clutch after 170bhp, I know mine was old but it wasn't really upto the job either way. Oh, you will need a 3 bar map to allow the extra boost too.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 06:13   #3
Weicco

I have tuningbox also for extra fuel and clutch replaced 20000km ago Currently with 1,5 bar of boost i feel pump still has capability to give more fuel than turbo can produce air. 16T is same that is used in 850 R-line Volvos?
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 07:55   #4
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Your right the pump is capable but the injector nozzles are maxed out at around 180. The 16T is of an R I think yes. Not quit a direct replacement but not a difficult job either. How are you getting your k14 to hold 1.5 bar?
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 16:19   #5
PNuT
MaDMaN

850R manuals had a 16T autos were 15g

V/S/C 70 t5's all had 16T or above I think
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 19:21   #6
Weicco

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
Your right the pump is capable but the injector nozzles are maxed out at around 180. The 16T is of an R I think yes. Not quit a direct replacement but not a difficult job either. How are you getting your k14 to hold 1.5 bar?
Ok good to know! Thanks. I use 10kohm adjustable potentiometer to fool the boost pressure sensor, so it can raise boost maybe up to 1.8 bar? ( Or something like that) More than 1.8 and then it cuts off and goes to limp home mode.. Is 16t turbo much bigger than kkk14? And can it hold pressure like 1.5 bar? THX!
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 20:13   #7
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Yes it can hold more pressure, but so can the k14. I ran my k14 for 3 months at 1.8bar, only problem is it turns into a bit of a hot air blower! 16T holds the pressure easier. Are you planning on changing the nozzles? The k14 is man enough to take any amount of fuel the standard nozzles will allow.

Instead of fooling the map sensor just replace it with a 3 Bar.

A MBC also helped a lot, the internal wastegate setup on the k14 is a little poor at controlling boost. I got lots of creep before but now upto full pressure quicker and holding where I want it.

By far the best modification I made (most notable difference) was a 3"down pipe. I fabricated one myself but they may be available I'm not sure. This reduced egt dramatically and spool up was much quicker. Running 1.5 bar is more efficient too (cooler temps).

And remove rear silencer too.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 20:46   #8
Weicco

Thanks! Great that you have so much experience with torturing tdi I have thought about changing the nozzles since they don´t cost much , but this turbo issue was first in my mind.
So i should remove catalytic converter ( Not needed necessarily here) and replace rear muffler with straight pipe. It gets better aspiration right? Intercooler at least seems big enough for these pressures? What you think about Dual mass flywheel? It sure has bit of a vibration going on. One fellow claimed that he drove 60 thousand kilometers and it was in shreds.. He had bigger nozzles and boost around 1,6 bar.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 21:02   #9
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Do nozzles first or at the same time as turbo as you really need the extra fuel. Unlike a petrol turbo just increasing boost on these old diesels will do nothing at all but increase egt. Standard nozzles are .216 and capable of max 180 bhp. I used DSS ultime ll on my 235 bhp, they are .270 if I remember right. Now I use .240. Avoid the cheaper bosio R520 race as (in my opinion) they are crap, less power and way too much smoke.

Intercooler is ok up to about 210bhp, I made own after this.

I get the flywheel shakes real bad but it is holding on! I have been looking for a suitable single mass but there is no direct fit, machining is required. I have seen it done but the car doesn't drive very nice at all. If mine does break I may try welding it up solid and balancing it.

If you can do a 3" straight through it would really improve everything. I kept original cat just with the bigger down pipe and even that was better.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 12:57   #10
pezzaVR4

Interesting thread....

Martin your car must go like a rocket :-)

The ronBox will be on order next week, then look at nozzles/turbo possibly.

Martin do you have an email address that you can PM to me please as I dont have enough posts yet.. I dont want to hijack/spam thread with questions..

Cheers
Dek

Last edited by pezzaVR4; Oct 23rd, 2013 at 13:14.
pezzaVR4 is offline   Reply With Quote