Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 R design seats uncomfy

Views : 9053

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2018, 23:13   #11
neon
Premier Member

Took me a while to get mine right as initially I was having to stop on a long journey every couple of hours to stretch my legs as I was getting pains in my legs that I had not had before with my previous cars. I just could not understand it with all the hype about Volvo seats being the best.
I find now that I have invested some time getting it right they are very comfortable seats.

Last edited by neon; Oct 4th, 2018 at 23:16.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 23:28   #12
Tresco85

Any pointers on how to get the base of the seats in to that comfortably position to stop the legs hurting, we was ok until we was touring Scotland and it was making my wife's legs go numb and now even on short journeys we feel the metal bar and can't seem to get them into a good position. Have tried putting the front of the seat up high and low but never get to that comfortable position.
Tresco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 09:24   #13
deanphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky13 View Post
had mine about 3 months now - anyone else find the seats fairly uncomfortable?
the seat back seems to arch forwards near the top meaning you kinda sit hunched over and eventually gets a bit sore
and the knee extenders (is that the right name?) when used leaves a big gap that feels like it has quite a hard ridge?
wish id got the standard seats now
I have the exact same problem with my R-Design V90 seats. Really wish I’d held out for an inscription.
deanphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 09:48   #14
Tresco85

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanphoto View Post
I have the exact same problem with my R-Design V90 seats. Really wish I’d held out for an inscription.
You wouldn't want the Inscription seats they are as bad I think the best ones are the Momentum seats as the seat base is just one cushion with no hard edge.
Tresco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 10:14   #15
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresco85 View Post
Any pointers on how to get the base of the seats in to that comfortably position to stop the legs hurting, we was ok until we was touring Scotland and it was making my wife's legs go numb and now even on short journeys we feel the metal bar and can't seem to get them into a good position. Have tried putting the front of the seat up high and low but never get to that comfortable position.
I have my seat extenders fully extended and then I sat in the car with my left foot on the footrest and adjusted the seat base so it just provided as much contact as possible with my legs without lifting them at all. I also found that I had the seat too far forward, so I took it back more to extend my legs and then adjusted the steering reach out more.
I then made sure I saved this in the memory settings and driver profile assigned to my key.
I have the sports contour seats on my Inscription though which you cannot get anymore, but it may be similiar. Let me know if it helps.

Last edited by neon; Oct 6th, 2018 at 10:29.
The Following User Says Thank You to neon For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 13:51   #16
enrm6

If you are struggling with getting a comfortable seating position I’d recommend backing everything off and starting again, follow a guide like this one to incrementally set each adjustment.

http://drivingergonomics.lboro.ac.uk...re%20guide.pdf

In addition, any single posture over long periods of driving is unlikely to be comfortable. I’d suggest storing two slightly different driving postures (e.g one more laid back vs one more upright) in memory and flipping between the two on a long drive to activate different muscle groups and shift some pressure points around.

For what it’s worth I really like my R-Design seats.
enrm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enrm6 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 17:56   #17
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrm6 View Post
If you are struggling with getting a comfortable seating position I’d recommend backing everything off and starting again, follow a guide like this one to incrementally set each adjustment.

http://drivingergonomics.lboro.ac.uk...re%20guide.pdf

In addition, any single posture over long periods of driving is unlikely to be comfortable. I’d suggest storing two slightly different driving postures (e.g one more laid back vs one more upright) in memory and flipping between the two on a long drive to activate different muscle groups and shift some pressure points around.

For what it’s worth I really like my R-Design seats.
Looks like a good guide to follow. Looks like I did a lot of this in a fashion, but I would use this process instead if I was to do it again and may give it a go anyway but keep my current setting as well just in case.

Last edited by neon; Oct 6th, 2018 at 18:00.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 20:20   #18
TimCarter

Default A real pain in the backside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresco85 View Post
We have had our Inscription Pro nearly a year now and I know what you mean, the back of the seats are fine it's the seat base we have trouble with and the hard bar where the seats extend. We have complained to Volvo and the dealers who just say there is nothing wrong with the seats and the only thing we can do is buy a new Momentum with the basic seats which seem a better seat. After spending £50,000 I wasn't prepared to spend another £5,000 to buy another car and spec it up to ours. We have tried 1 seat cover which is a bit better but can still feel the ridge and are at the moment are trying another gel cushion to see if that helps.
I am right there with you. I purchased a 2018 V90 CC Pro and the bar across the front of the seat pad, just before the gap to the leg extenders, is killing me. The Inscription seat pad was apparently changed in early 2018 to make it more rigid, this by installing a wire inside the edge of the seat pad. I have the design change document showing this, and I'm sure is what I am feeling.

Like you, Volvo says there is nothing wrong with the seat, even though my car has been in the garage for 6 weeks and the local dealer agrees the problem is there.

I have asked for Momentum seats to be installed, but they say I have to trade my car for a Momentum model instead. Need to get my money back.
TimCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 00:23   #19
MaDProFF
Master Member

I do not think they are great tbh, I get slight numbing in one of my legs after an hour or so, not the end of the world, but it might be me as well.

They less comfortable depending on what type of trousers you wear also I find.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 08:33   #20
HamDenFede

I find the biggest problem with the R-Design seats to be the rather tight arc in the high-back area, which, at least for me, puts forward pressure on my scapulars. This has become alot better though with time. In the beginning the seats were very hard, but they have become more soft after a year and a half.
HamDenFede is offline   Reply With Quote