Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vehicle Safety/Recall Notification

Views : 20995

Replies : 179

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2019, 23:31   #21
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

That is very interesting information. We have 2 V40s on the fleet. Both 16 reg and with the new diesel engine.

One of them had repeated issues with the engine about 18 months to 2 years ago. Repeated engine management light issues and eventually the entire engine was removed and replaced. The driver had a Volvo UK car for the duration.

The other one, as I mentioned earlier on in the thread, has very recently had engine management light on and was diagnosed with a failed inlet manifold. The dealers were happy for it to continue to be driven. About 2 weeks later it went back in and had the new manifold fitted.

Both are high mileage motorway cars doing circa 35k miles per annum so shoudln't be sooting up. That said both drivers pay for their own fuel so maybe they are just tickling the car along in 6th at 1500 rpm all the time.....

I wonder if both cases are related to this issue?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 11:49   #22
D4dilemma

Default Manifolds blocked not soothed up

With respect to the D4 engine Volvo have attempted to cover up the Insoluble EGR issue where manifolds and other parts become blocked not just sooted up. When like mine the inlet valves get affected repairs cost thousands and can need a new engine....Volvo promised a permanent EGR fix with new cooler etc which categorically did not work to the extent that the manifold problem has now transpired.
Whilst localised EGR Valve issues are par for the course in Diesel engines it is not “normal” for engines to contain a self destruct mechanism to the above extent. Volvo pay off those who push it far enough and hope the rest don’t notice..
It is disingenuous for Volvo not to state the reason for the overheating in their notification. Especially as the underlying cause has not been able to be addressed in the years since it became known and they failed in their legally binding promise to fix it.
I am surprised if D5 engines are affected as they do not particularly feature in long threads about D4 EGR issues.
D4dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 14:05   #23
Roosterb

Just got my letter this morning. Think they should at least provide a fire extinguisher as a short term backup.
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 14:18   #24
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4dilemma View Post
With respect to the D4 engine Volvo have attempted to cover up the Insoluble EGR issue where manifolds and other parts become blocked not just sooted up. When like mine the inlet valves get affected repairs cost thousands and can need a new engine....Volvo promised a permanent EGR fix with new cooler etc which categorically did not work to the extent that the manifold problem has now transpired.
Whilst localised EGR Valve issues are par for the course in Diesel engines it is not “normal” for engines to contain a self destruct mechanism to the above extent. Volvo pay off those who push it far enough and hope the rest don’t notice..
It is disingenuous for Volvo not to state the reason for the overheating in their notification. Especially as the underlying cause has not been able to be addressed in the years since it became known and they failed in their legally binding promise to fix it.
I am surprised if D5 engines are affected as they do not particularly feature in long threads about D4 EGR issues.
Perhaps because most (all?) D5 VEA engines use AdBlue. The eventual use of AdBlue on the VEA engines must have massively reduced the previous heavy reliance upon EGR to meet Euro 6 targets. The introduction of AdBlue might also be seen as an admission that the earlier VEAs had a known problem...
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 15:34   #25
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
We had a brief discussion about this subject at our monthly section meeting last night with a technical Volvo dealer representative....

Soot build-up is clearly a big factor
I'm not surprised. The amount of soot being deposited on my D5 tailpipes is ridiculous.

I raised it with the dealer but was told it's normal. My diesel CR-V was nothing like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 15:45   #26
docjd

Unhappy letter

Yep my recall letter arrived as well
Oh well await a more definitive plan
docjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 15:49   #27
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
I'm not surprised. The amount of soot being deposited on my D5 tailpipes is ridiculous.

I raised it with the dealer but was told it's normal. My diesel CR-V was nothing like this.
I do not get soot on my XC90 D5 tail pipes, they are looking very clean after 3 years motoring.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 16:43   #28
Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I do not get soot on my XC90 D5 tail pipes, they are looking very clean after 3 years motoring.
Me too. One way to avoid sooty tailpipes is to avoid Costco and similar diesel; I now only use Shell and BP "premium" and that keeps them pretty clean.

In response to an earlier post there are plenty of non-AdBlue D5s out there, at least up to MY 17 for S90 and presumably V90.

MY17 S90 Inscription D5 Powerpulse
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 16:45   #29
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I only use Asda diesel, always have done,
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 17:20   #30
scw

Same here - tailpipes are still squeaky clean after 30K miles on Tesco dino juice.