Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Old one I bet but help !!!

Views : 729

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2019, 09:04   #1
Tattooedjock

Default Old one I bet but help !!!

Firstly hello to all members
So got my first old school Volvo 740gl on a G plate recently which I love
Was purchased to carry around 2 kids 2 Great Danes and the usual stuff
So it’s an estate which is perfect for the above
Now my problem
The boss basically wanted a caravan so I managed to find out 940 towbar fit as was struggling to find a 740 one. I purchased one for Ł20 which I thought sweet
Am now finding it hard to find any information on how to wire the electrics in
I looked for the 10 pin adapter but am guessing it’s only in 940s
Am unsure if relay needed as will only be running a 12n plug
Am not too bothered about bulb warning light staying on
Have read scotch locks are rubbish
Basically I have Saturday to try and wire it in myself as she went and bought a caravan I am due to collect Sunday lol
My plan so far was to cut in to wiring and fit spade connectors to relevant 7 wires
Any help info wisdom guidance much appreciated
Cheers
Dave
O or if you know a cheap auto electrician in the Colchester area who wants a bit of work please send contact details
Tattooedjock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tattooedjock For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 11:49   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

All the 740s i've had with towbars have had the wiring run from the fusebox to the rear lights. That's because the wiring for the lights goes through the bulb failure unit.

The problem isn't so much that the Bulb Failure Warning light stays on, more that it can burn out the BF unit. If that happens you end up with no rear lights at all.

Apart from having to route the extra length of cable in, it's probably easier to run the 7-core from your 12N socket, through the valance, into the left hand cubby hole between the wheelarch and tailgate, under the carpet round the wheel well then along the inside of the sill to the front, behind the passenger footwell carpet and into the back of the fuse box where you should be able to pick up all the lighting feeds to the BFU fairly easily.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 11:06   #3
Tattooedjock

I guess this would be bad but could I do a quick temp fix then take it to a proper auto electrician
There’s one that does towbar and electrics not far from me but they can’t do it before weekend and I need it done by Sunday
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 11:45   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooedjock View Post
I guess this would be bad but could I do a quick temp fix then take it to a proper auto electrician
There’s one that does towbar and electrics not far from me but they can’t do it before weekend and I need it done by Sunday
If you're going to do that, use Scotchloks in the fusebox to connect into the feeds to the BFU - that way when the auto-electrician comes to do it, most of the hard work is done, he just has to cut the wires and join them by soldering with heatshrink to protect the joint after.

Scotchloks aren't a good long term solution (i'm being polite here!) but will hold for a year or so, especially in a relatively protected environment such as behind the fusebox.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 11:50   #5
Tattooedjock

Thanks mate
Am guessing the whole fuse box pulls out threw the ashtray?
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 12:00   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattooedjock View Post
Thanks mate
Am guessing the whole fuse box pulls out threw the ashtray?
Spot on! Can't quite remember the procedure but once the ashtray is out, there's a little flap that has "LIFT" written on it, then there are a couple of clips, one each side push them outwards and slide the fusebox out. Probably best to disconnect the battery earth before pulling it out, just to be safe. Once out, you can make sure nothing is likely to short to erth and reconnect the battery earth (make sure the keys are out of the car when connecting/disconnecting the battery earth) so you can test the feeds and splice in as needed.

Old Jul 10th, 2019, 18:03   #7
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default I recommend a 7way bypass relay and a smart relay.

If you do a search on “Towing Electrics” in this section you should find two useful threads. “Tow Bar Wire Socket” and “Tow Bar Electrics Question” where it is explained how to fit a 7way bypass relay ( for 12N ) and a Smart relay ( for 12S).
GPL1968 did all the hard work but I followed his instructions. Everything worked from the start and has not caused any problems.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 19:56   #8
gpl1968
VOC Member

If you use a bypass relay to connect the towing socket you should be able to tap into the loom that runs around the left hand side of the boot. You would need to remove the trim panel under the window to gain access.
You would then need a permanent live feed to power the relay and if you have a powered aerial you could tap into it's permanent live feed (15A fed from fuse 5 I believe).
This would stop you having to pull the interior apart to route cables to the fuse board.
I used a relay like this: https://www.towsure.com/smart-7-way-...hoCdZwQAvD_BwE
It also provides the legally required indicator buzzer (and optional output for a dashboard telltale) that operates when trailer lights are connected.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 21:16   #9
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpl1968 View Post
You would then need a permanent live feed to power the relay and if you have a powered aerial you could tap into it's permanent live feed (15A fed from fuse 5 I believe).
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure the power aerial is a switched 12v - at least it was on my 940 'loon!

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyf90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 21:52   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyf90 View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure the power aerial is a switched 12v - at least it was on my 940 'loon!

Cheers
It still needs a permanent feed to retract when the igniton is switched off and the radio with it. Unless it's a manually switched (semi-automatic) electric aerial in which case it will have a dashboard switch.

Proper ones are fully automatic and the aerial extends and retracts automatically when the radio is switched on/off or if the ignition is switched off while the radio is on.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: