Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement Engine Mounts

Views : 668

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2019, 23:32   #1
Andrew850

Default Replacement Engine Mounts

Hi,

My 1999 S70T5 with 140 k miles has developed a clunk when accelerating/decelarating. The clunk seems to be coming from the right side of the engine, and low down. I'm pretty certain it's one or more of the engine mounts - but how do I work out which one it is?

I've looked at the top engine mount ( the one that bolts onto the bulkhead ) and the rubber is a bit split, but it's not too bad. The tie rod - front lower - also looks ok.

How can I check the RH lower mount - the one under the engine??

Any recommendations on the mounts - are pattern ones ok ( e.g. PFV online) or should I get genuine Volvo parts??

Any advice appreciated!!

Andrew.
Andrew850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 23:41   #2
Cookeh
Premier Member

Have to put a jack under the engine to take the weight off the mount and then unbolt. Only then will you be able to see if it is worn.
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 09:37   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Also, surely it'd make sense to replace both anyway, so you don't really need to know which one is knackered before you do the job? I know I would......
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 23:00   #4
Andrew850

Yeah, I know both need to be replaced....

Are the pattern mounts any good, or should I just go straight for genuine parts??

Thanks,

Andrew.
Andrew850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 10:03   #5
Cookeh
Premier Member

Pattern as always, depends on the brand. Lemforder, Meyle, MOOG, etc will be perfectly fine if not better.
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 11:15   #6
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

If you are getting a clunk it will probably be the lower gearbox tie mount. Easy to change, one end bolts to the gearbox and the other end to the subframe - it has 2 bushes which obviously go soft/fail over time.

The other mounts are the front and rear "pads" and there is an additional mount at the cambelt end of the engine which again is fairly easy to change but make sure you get the correct one as there are a few different versions - I would go genuine volvo for this to ensure you get the right one. This one suffers from the rubber section separating from the metal part so is not obviously broken when just looking at it.

The front pad mount is easy to change, the rear one should be fairly easy on an N/A but is a pain on turbo cars as the turbo sits over the top nut making access difficult - I replaced this pad while I had the turbo out to refurb it which made it a lot more straightforward. I also found that I had to jack the engine up quite a lot to fit the new one, it was not a pleasant job.

Lemforder are good for the pad mounts (FYI front and rear are different part numbers) and the lemforder ones I got appeared to have "volvo & the volvo p/n" ground off them...

Meyle are good as well, even better if you can get a HD version.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 12:51   #7
StatusRed
Premier Member

^^^ Was gonna say, if it's a clunk when accelerating / decelerating and / or changing gear it's most likely to be the gearbox mount.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote