Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 boot lower door rattle.

Views : 2441

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2019, 16:47   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Hi Guys

Old post revival here, but wondering if anyone has actually replaced the hinge pins or indeed just nipped up the hinges themselves?

Also - what about the side stays - any noise found that originated from them?

TIA

David
yes that will be the hinges , they produce a knock , you might find some stainless steel roll pins to do the job . New hinges are available ....
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 21:28   #12
BestGear
Master Member

Thanks

I had a look today and could not (while on the body) get the hinge pins out!

Circlips came off obviously but the pins were stuck fast.

I could however confirm there is play so they are the culprit as you say.

I will need to check if the hinges varies over the years or if they are all the same for the early car - suspect they will be the same. Looks like there are a couple of revisions and possibly 30674732 being the latest - it certainly has different pins so perhaps modded to avoiid the noise?

Question - the side catches - can they be tightened up? I seem to remember checking previously and found little adjustment in it.

Thanks as ever...

David

Last edited by BestGear; Nov 13th, 2019 at 22:53.
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 13:58   #13
BestGear
Master Member

Hi

To help me in my seek for silence, does anyone have a view on whether the earlier hinges with the larger pin with circlip is better or worse than the later hinge that has the smaller pin (and a three piece hinge design)?

There are not many of the later hinge around on ebay, but never sure if later equals better!

xcmarty - was yours the early or later design where you said you removed the pins?

David
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 14:16   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Hi

To help me in my seek for silence, does anyone have a view on whether the earlier hinges with the larger pin with circlip is better or worse than the later hinge that has the smaller pin (and a three piece hinge design)?

There are not many of the later hinge around on ebay, but never sure if later equals better!

xcmarty - was yours the early or later design where you said you removed the pins?

David
what size is the pin ? you can get stainless steel spring roll pins which you can press in and get a rattle free tailgate once more .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPRING-TY...IgBIQPJbKoDktw
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 14:45   #15
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
what size is the pin ? you can get stainless steel spring roll pins which you can press in and get a rattle free tailgate once more .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPRING-TY...IgBIQPJbKoDktw

Thanks Clan - I had not spotted them - I was going for a stainless ejector pin type of material.

The hinges that are on my car (MY2005) are the older pin with the large head and circlip on the other end, which by the look of it were superseded in 2006-7ish.

The later hinge looks like they would suit a roll pin - so that may be the plan - pick up the later hinges off the bay and if they rattle, get some of these roll pins.

If it was a bit warmer outside I would be tempted to go and take the hinges off the body to see if I can get the pin out - it was not for moving in the car without risking collateral damage!

David