Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 boot lower door rattle.

Views : 2457

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2013, 17:58   #1
nemo

Angry XC90 boot lower door rattle.

I have a 2003 XC90 with the most annoying rattle from the lower door on the boot. I have removed all the trim expecting to find some loose lump of steel banging around, that what it sounds like, but no nothing. The door feels tight when shut there are no obvious loose locks, the adjustment feels good, there is a slight bit of play in the hinges but it doesn't feel enough to produce the loud band rattle when going over a bump. The Brighton Volvo spares chap says that he has never ordered a hinge assembly or the catches and I can't find enough play in them to spend over £100 to guess. Has anybody had any issues with this door I am running out of things to try.
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 18:16   #2
pickychap

The rattle is caused by one of the seat belt assemblies in rear pillar. The dealer either would not care/charge hourly and track them down for you.
pickychap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pickychap For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 18:42   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
I have a 2003 XC90 with the most annoying rattle from the lower door on the boot. I have removed all the trim expecting to find some loose lump of steel banging around, that what it sounds like, but no nothing. The door feels tight when shut there are no obvious loose locks, the adjustment feels good, there is a slight bit of play in the hinges but it doesn't feel enough to produce the loud band rattle when going over a bump. The Brighton Volvo spares chap says that he has never ordered a hinge assembly or the catches and I can't find enough play in them to spend over £100 to guess. Has anybody had any issues with this door I am running out of things to try.
It's the hinges , if you slacken the mountings and force the hinges apart to stress them the noise should go .
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 13:49   #4
nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It's the hinges , if you slacken the mountings and force the hinges apart to stress them the noise should go .
Sorted the noise, both hinges need replacement, took them apart and found corroded pins which allows movement in the bushes. The door would bang up and down over bumps, packed them full of grease and took out the play with shims, no noise. I will have to replace the hinges after a while when the temp fix is no longer effective. Thanks for your input.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 14:14   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

you could dismantle the hinges , drill out and fit an oversized pin , perhaps stainless steel ? If you are that way inclined ..
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 21:49   #6
xcmarty

this has got tobe the rattle problem i have...i changed the rear ARB drop links and its didnt fix it. asked the garage to check the Rear ARB bushes and they said no play....

i just tried the lower boot hatch and it feels tight but im willing to look into the hinges...i just want rid of the rattle.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 22:26   #7
GJB
Premier Member

You may also find that the bottom edge of the top section is rubbing and wearing.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 10:00   #8
nemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcmarty View Post
this has got tobe the rattle problem i have...i changed the rear ARB drop links and its didnt fix it. asked the garage to check the Rear ARB bushes and they said no play....

i just tried the lower boot hatch and it feels tight but im willing to look into the hinges...i just want rid of the rattle.
My hinges felt ok but the noise has been bugging me for a year or two I could never find anything wrong but the bottom door behaves like a guitar body and being steel and hollow amplifies the sound. When the door is shut it is tight to the seal but with the weight on the hinges over bumps it will bang up and down and sound like somebody had left a 3/4 drive ratchet in the lower door. I greased the pins and made some plastic shims to remove the play which was side to side , the grease will only last a while so new hinges at £50 each will be required .
The Following User Says Thank You to nemo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 20:17   #9
xcmarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
the noise has been bugging me for a year or two I could never find anything wrong .
same here!
so i went out tonite and removed both pins. they showed a very small amount of wear, nothing as bad as i expected. just enough wear to tke off the zinc plating really...
so i decided to play with the hinges, the halfs attached to the lower boot lid, NOT the hinges attached to the car body.
i slackened the 2 bolts and pushed the hinge down slightly on the inner bolt, rotating it about the outer bolt. i only moved the hinge enough to see a clean mark in the paintwork, probably 1mm.

i reassembled the hinged, tapped the pin back in without undue resistance and then went for a drive round a local trading estate with TERRIBLE tarmac...not a single knock from the backend.
happy days...
time will tell if its a long term fix...
thanks chaps
The Following User Says Thank You to xcmarty For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 15:44   #10
BestGear
Master Member

Hi Guys

Old post revival here, but wondering if anyone has actually replaced the hinge pins or indeed just nipped up the hinges themselves?

Also - what about the side stays - any noise found that originated from them?

TIA

David