Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coupled central locking and headlight problem

Views : 413

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 7th, 2019, 18:28   #1
fandv

Default Coupled central locking and headlight problem

I am a new member with a V40 2.0T purchased new in October 2000. It is left-hand drive and has 303'000 km, virtually trouble free, on the clock; this might explain why I haven't joined this forum any earlier.
The problem I have seems to have coupled what seem to be two recurring problems on this forum: central locking and dipped headlights.

First, the drivers-door lock failed to work (discovered in a carpark in Bristol while on an UK visit) and after returning home my garage replaced the locking mechanism on this door: It worked for a couple of goes only; after they had fiddled with it again for 10 mins or so, it worked again (they said they had fixed a badly made connection). However, when home again, now the drivers-side dipped headlight was not working and (needless to say?) also the door lock. The next day, after checking that the bulb was not broken, I returned
to the garage; again after fiddling about for a bit the mechanic got the headlight to work again. I then locked and unlocked the car and the expression on his face as he watched the headlight go off was interesting.
Today I made some systematic checks:
(i) I set all the lights (heads, dipped and fog) and wipers going and they were all stopped when I did the actual start and all restarted afterwards (the passenger side dipped headlight took about 3 seconds to come back on, as it had done for the last couple of years).
(ii) I locked and unlocked the doors using the remote: before the deadlock fired (about 20 second) the drivers-side door opened all the other doors; waiting for the click, then only the driver's door opened.
(iii) After these tests, the passenger-side dipped headlight failed to work.
(iv) After about an hour (sorting out other problems), I went out to continue and found both dipped headlights now worked.
(v) I tried, without success, the cycling test as in reply 2 to "Central locking on drivers door not working on My V40."
Any thoughts?
fandv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 21:19   #2
fandv

Lightbulb Problem explained (perhaps)

It seems that the coupling between the two items is, like the driver, simply one of old age, wear and tear, etc. In the case of the door lock I will carry a pair of long-nose pliers so that when knob stays down on unlocking, it can be pulled up again. (Reminiscent of what one used to have to carry in the 60ies to get ones banger to the end of the journey!) As far as the light problem is concerned, if it doesn't light after a few second, give a knock on the control box - again, back to the old one of, it is only a matter of knowing where to kick it.
There is, of course, an alternative: pay out rather a lot of money!
Best wishes to all.
fandv is offline   Reply With Quote