Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2012 XC90 spare wheel winch part number

Views : 689

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2019, 10:03   #1
OriginalTDave

Default 2012 XC90 spare wheel winch part number

Hi, would anyone know the correct part number for a 2012 XC90 space saver spare wheel winch.
I believe the winch securing bolt hole arrangement changed slightly around the 2011 model year and the earlier winch's will not fit.
I presently do not have a spare wheel and I am looking to retrofit a space saver and winch using used parts.
Any help appreciated on the above..
Dave
OriginalTDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 10:26   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Hi Dave I retro fitted mine with bits off ebay for about £30. Spacesaver was an additional £35.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-XC9...kAAOSw50Vdv0eq

Reading this it does look like it changed which seems odd.

When you remove the winch blanking plate bolts it looks like you have to remove the rearmost seats to get it out and install the winch.

This is not the case even though you will see some info to say that it is!

All you need to do is remove a couple of the bolts from the seat rail with everything in situ and you can get the plate out and the winch in.

One point to remember is that if your XC has the twin exhausts ie one either side, I'm led to believe that a spare wheel will not fit.

If you do eventually get a second hand winch and want a photo of the bracket and bolts to remove, drop me a PM and I'll sort it

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Nov 16th, 2019 at 10:29.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 12:36   #3
OriginalTDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Hi Dave I retro fitted mine with bits off ebay for about £30. Spacesaver was an additional £35.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-XC9...kAAOSw50Vdv0eq

Reading this it does look like it changed which seems odd.

When you remove the winch blanking plate bolts it looks like you have to remove the rearmost seats to get it out and install the winch.

This is not the case even though you will see some info to say that it is!

All you need to do is remove a couple of the bolts from the seat rail with everything in situ and you can get the plate out and the winch in.

One point to remember is that if your XC has the twin exhausts ie one either side, I'm led to believe that a spare wheel will not fit.

If you do eventually get a second hand winch and want a photo of the bracket and bolts to remove, drop me a PM and I'll sort it
Many thanks, I only have the single side exhaust and going under the car it looks like there is mobs of room. I have now sourced a spare wheel, just trying to root out the correct winch assy. I believe around my MY date to the end of production time of the Mk 1 xc90 that Volvo also undertook a modification to the winch by adding a spring to stop the cable jams...
OriginalTDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 12:43   #4
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalTDave View Post
Many thanks, I only have the single side exhaust and going under the car it looks like there is mobs of room. I have now sourced a spare wheel, just trying to root out the correct winch assy. I believe around my MY date to the end of production time of the Mk 1 xc90 that Volvo also undertook a modification to the winch by adding a spring to stop the cable jams...

Looking at the shape of your blanking plate how does it compare to the winches advertised on Ebay?

I cannot imagine why they would change the pressing on the boot floor unless of course the new spring loaded winch was larger.

I've had no problem with my winch but I am aware of the potential jamming issue and as such always keep the cable under tension , never winding it back up empty.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 15:30   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

When you fit the wheel and winch cable to the underside of the vehicle, spray everything with a rust preventing corrosion inhibitor lubricant to stop it all rusting up and seizing up. As often happens.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 15:56   #6
JonWill

Just resurrecting this thread - I am unsure which winch to get for my car (failed on New Year's Eve - I had to cut the cable!).

My XC90 is 2011, but the winch fitted looks different to those on Ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394936146...kaAj80EALw_wcB

Will those being sold fit? Or do I need to hunt this one down?

Thanks in advance!

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2024-01-01 14.43.39.jpg (265.2 KB, 12 views)
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 16:20   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWill View Post
Just resurrecting this thread - I am unsure which winch to get for my car (failed on New Year's Eve - I had to cut the cable!).

My XC90 is 2011, but the winch fitted looks different to those on Ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394936146...kaAj80EALw_wcB

Will those being sold fit? Or do I need to hunt this one down?

Thanks in advance!

Jon
There was a free recall on these about 10 years ago, try your dealer see if it applies to yours.
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 14:19   #8
JonWill

Thanks for the response - I contacted Volvo and there is no product recall for my (late) model. The part number for my winch is 3142 3725 and it costs £130 new - I can't find one for less on ebay.

Does anyone know if the one that I attached a picture of will fit my model XC90? I can get on of those for <£50!

Thanks again!

J