Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adding 2nd Rear Fog Light

Views : 1127

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2019, 23:40   #1
Ramoras

Lightbulb Adding 2nd Rear Fog Light

Hi. If you are like me and travel abroad or just want the light display at the rear of your XC40 to be symmetrical, you can add a second fog light to the Near Side Rear.
I contacted my local dealer and eventually Volvo direct to ask if they could supply the bulb housing. I was informed categorically it was only available by purchasing the complete rear fog light cluster.

Having worked for Volkswagen for many years I remembered the light fitting of one of the range having the same bulb housing and guess what it fits...

If anyone is interested the wiring is already in place and the VW part number is 8N0953053 and took 2 minutes to fit.
Ramoras is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramoras For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 01:21   #2
Gnomeface

Interesting. Did you need to source a new "bulb" (LED presumably) or was it included in the VW part?

I've never understood why two rear fog lights are not mandatory; if you see a single red light ahead in poor visibility at night you have no clue about its distance or relative speed, but a pair of lights gives you perspective.

I vaguely remember a ruling that you should only have one rear fog light, on the offside - if that's true then it could only come from the EU.
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 07:02   #3
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Thumbs down

There’s been much discussion on here and other similar forums about the wisdom or otherwise of adding a second rear fog light.

However, best not take this thread off topic?

Edit: don’t know why the thumbs down thing has appeared, can't remove it!

Last edited by Baxlin; Nov 7th, 2019 at 07:04.
Baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 10:38   #4
Ramoras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomeface View Post
Interesting. Did you need to source a new "bulb" (LED presumably) or was it included in the VW part?

I've never understood why two rear fog lights are not mandatory; if you see a single red light ahead in poor visibility at night you have no clue about its distance or relative speed, but a pair of lights gives you perspective.

I vaguely remember a ruling that you should only have one rear fog light, on the offside - if that's true then it could only come from the EU.
Yes had to buy H21W bulb.
I always add a second bulb where I can. I would not be the right person to comment on law but as i often drive abroad I think it helps.
Ramoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 21:29   #5
Driver Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomeface View Post
The Legislation is that IF you only have one Rear Fog Lamp it must be on the off-side of the centre line of the car, if two are fitted the positions must form a matched pair either side of the centre line.

I would prefer to have two rear fogs on my vehicles and may well do as the OP has done. I can't understand why manufacturers do not do it as standard, it would only cost relatively little at the time of manufacture.

Last edited by Driver Dave; Nov 7th, 2019 at 21:31.
Driver Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Driver Dave For This Useful Post: