Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cambelt and Auxillary Belt change

Views : 1175

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2019, 09:37   #1
burkey

Default Cambelt and Auxillary Belt change

Hello All,

My friend and I tried to replace the cam belt and Auxillary belt on my C30 1.6 Petrol SE coupe 2008.

You will have to excuse my explanation as I am not the mechanically minded one of the two of us.

The problems we were having which I am seeking assistance with are the following things

1) There were no timing marks on the Cam pulleys so we didn't know where TDC was. (Pic Attached)
2) using the "Pins" at the I believe crankshaft (bottom) when inserting the pin there seemed to almost be multiple positions the pin could be inserted to hold the pulley in place?
3) We damaged the Aux pulley a little, part of one the groves snapped off when we were trying to separate them. Can they be separated to make the putting of the aux belt on easier? Or do you need a special tool to put them on?
4) It seemed very difficult to put the belt on even using a stretch belt tool, any advice?

Thank in advance guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4160 (1).jpg (10.8 KB, 18 views)
burkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 09:56   #2
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkey View Post
Hello All,

My friend and I tried to replace the cam belt and Auxillary belt on my C30 1.6 Petrol SE coupe 2008.

You will have to excuse my explanation as I am not the mechanically minded one of the two of us.

The problems we were having which I am seeking assistance with are the following things

1) There were no timing marks on the Cam pulleys so we didn't know where TDC was. (Pic Attached)
2) using the "Pins" at the I believe crankshaft (bottom) when inserting the pin there seemed to almost be multiple positions the pin could be inserted to hold the pulley in place?
3) We damaged the Aux pulley a little, part of one the groves snapped off when we were trying to separate them. Can they be separated to make the putting of the aux belt on easier? Or do you need a special tool to put them on?
4) It seemed very difficult to put the belt on even using a stretch belt tool, any advice?

Thank in advance guys
I could be wrong... But I thought the best method was to identify tdc from the crank at the bottom. Then lock the cams. OR you can split the existing belt in half so only a thin piece is left but it still holds correct timing. Then you slide on the new belt half way, and cut the remaining old piece off. The slid the new belt the rest of the way.

TDC is the position of the crank and pistons I thought, so always set by the crank, not the cam. Again not an expert but I'd guess you need the rocker off now to check the cam position while crank is locked at TDC.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 11:13   #3
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Stretch (y) belts

Had a similar thing on the 2L petrol which also uses the same stretch belt for the aux made by Gates, I wonder if stretch belts put a bigger load on the components they attach to instead of a old style tensioner, there seem to be a fair selection of 'tools' for installing them from plastic wedge type things to complete kits, so i suspect they are probably difficult if not impossible to get back on without,, no doubt someone will be along shortly with a hot tip ! I got a garage to swap in that instance, but would be interested to hear other peoples experiences of them...
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2019, 11:48   #4
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Had a similar thing on the 2L petrol which also uses the same stretch belt for the aux made by Gates, I wonder if stretch belts put a bigger load on the components they attach to instead of a old style tensioner, there seem to be a fair selection of 'tools' for installing them from plastic wedge type things to complete kits, so i suspect they are probably difficult if not impossible to get back on without,, no doubt someone will be along shortly with a hot tip ! I got a garage to swap in that instance, but would be interested to hear other peoples experiences of them...
on the 2l petrol there were 2 revisions for the aux belt tensioner. I changed mine recently. The newest revision uses a spring loaded tensioner and a non stretch belt which is easier to install. Another knowledgeable member said there were historical complaints about squeal and the stretch belt with fixed pulley was to address this. However, like I say, volvo have reverted to a tensioner set up on the 2l. No idea if this is based on which is best, or if the current set up is just cheaper to produce as it's used on all the fords too.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post: