Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 tdi POWER!!!!!!

Views : 23280

Replies : 182

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 17:48   #1
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Default 850 tdi POWER!!!!!!

Hi chaps,

So today we put the diseasel on the rolling road after a couple of tweaks and I was quite happy with the results. 186 bhp and 282 ft/lb (164 whp). So now I'm wondering shall I go further? I have been through it before with my last tdi and got to 235 bhp but it was hard work and ultimately ran like a dog as I couldn't find anyone to remap or 'chip' the standard ecu.

If I could find someone that could do me a custom map I would probably consider it again and possibly go even further!

As it is I think with slightly bigger nozzles and a turbo swap I may be able to push 210-220 but it WILL be smokey off boost and it costs a lot to get that smoke!

Shall I do it? Or can you do me a custom map??
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 21:24   #2
c70t5beater

thats some good figures without ecu tweaks

http://www.findiesel.fi/fi/Chiptunin...elmoinnit.html

that link above is where i was going to send my ecu and injectors to get nozzels changed and balanced with matching remap for 200-210 brake and max torque that the dual mass could handle. with better intercooler, exhaust, single mass flywheel, stronger exhaust valve springs he was saying 250 plus no bother. i bought a t5 in the end but for the 800 euro at the time he was asking for thats what i had planned.

cheers
c70t5beater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to c70t5beater For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 22:06   #3
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Thanks for the reply

I wonder what flywheel would be used as im buggered if I could find one last time. Also was advised by the infamous shadowmaker that these gearboxes hate single mass and vibrate even worse with them fitted!

Nozzles I can get here from darkside developments (infact might still have a set of .240 in the garage), exhaust is already done, the intercooler on these is the same as a t5 and is very adequate up to 230-240 (more on petrol motors), exhaust springs are definitely on my list. 250 is never going to happen with the standard kkk k14 turbo however, it simply cannot flow enough air. I will contact them about remap files and see what they say.

800 euro is too much for me too, I'm tighter than a ducks butt and to get 186bhp so far has cost me less than 200 quid! But then I do most the work myself!

With a bit more tweaking I reckon I could get 195bhp without changing hardware but the is the absolute maximum for this turbo.

Think another k24 swap may be in order........hmmm
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 23:20   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

That's impressive, Martin I'd be interested to know what modifications you have done thus far to squeeze 185 bhp out of the 2.5 unit?

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.

Last edited by Baffler; Jan 23rd, 2014 at 02:04.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 17:12   #5
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
That's impressive, Martin I'd be interested to know what modifications you have done thus far to squeeze 185 bhp out of the 2.5 unit?
Very simple really;

• Decat exhaust, (65cm of 2.5" pipe required and a welder)
  • egr blanked off (not just disconnected as these can still leak exhaust gas at high manifold pressures)
  • Increase the boost to 18 psi (can use 20 but safer on 18) by which ever means you see fit, MBC, 3BAR MAP, adjustable potentiometer ect.Just make sure you can accurately keep at 18psi so fit a boost guage.
  • Play around with the injection timing, i set mine about 1.5-2 degrees advanced as it helps me at higher rpm.

But before any off this you MUST make sure all belts and tensioners, idlers ect are replaced as it WILL find a weakness. Also services MUST be done more frequently (4000 miles max).

Then take out shares in your chosen tyre company and have fun..
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 18:50   #6
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Dyno gragh for you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140123_182753.jpg (164.0 KB, 113 views)
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 19:11   #7
Baffler
Premier Member

Thanks for that!

Don't know why Volvo didn't fit a boost gauge to the TDI like that on the T5? Possible safety issue, I guess, as it would draw from the brake servo vacuum.

I'd like to up the power at some point without altering the standard set-up too much. I reckon I'll eventually go with one of these tuning modules, fit a boost gauge to monitor boost, or just wait and bring it to someone who knows how to properly map these ECUs.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 19:38   #8
martin_r_smith
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffler View Post
Thanks for that!

Don't know why Volvo didn't fit a boost gauge to the TDI like that on the T5? Possible safety issue, I guess, as it would draw from the brake servo vacuum.

I'd like to up the power at some point without altering the standard set-up too much. I reckon I'll eventually go with one of these tuning modules, fit a boost gauge to monitor boost, or just wait and bring it to someone who knows how to properly map these ECUs.
I ran the plug in box on its own for 15,000 miles with no bother at all and that was starting with 170,000 on the clock. Boost gauge will show an initial peak of 18-20 psi then settle at 13-14 psi (1 Bar) which is what it left the factory doing. You could quite happily not fit a boost gauge if you only have the plug in, its only really needed if you start to increase boost pressure manually. The car will tell you if you overdo the boost (go into gimp mode!).
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 17:50   #9
brickman
Premier Member

What part number did you use to find a 3bar MAP sensor that fits?

Do you reckon its worth a shot with a MBC, a well plumbed in boost gauge and a 3bar MAP* Car is my daily driver, and currently ticks the boxes for economy/drive ability/can move well enough if needed. 170/175bhp/250lb.ft would be my ideal figures (so that I don't need to go down the mega bucks route of getting a chunkier DMF machined down to fit, or an old 200 SMF made to fit). Car had new genuine driveshafts about 10k ago, and a genuine clutch about 30k ago so that end of things is solid.

*assuming putting the 3bar sensor in will allow the boost to be run higher without falling into limp mode. And is there enough fuelling stock to give any leeway, or is that the role of the plug in chip module to sort the fuelling out vs. boost.

Decat - Thinking of grabbing another cat pipe from a scrap car and hammering it out as assume it will help spool at lower rev's and might increase MPG a wee bit. On other TDI's some people don't get any measurable benefit from de-cating, only more drone at motorway speeds.

Injectors - are you on stock injectors .216 and are they healthy or are they a bit worn out (allowing more fuel through nozzle wear?), mine are 'so so' so I'm looking at just getting a set of replacement nozzles and rebuilding them, or put up with it until I go to a larger size at a later date.

Turbo - mine is prob on its way out as it has some end float in the shaft as well as a bit of lateral play (but doesn't let oil through), heard a 16t is a good (almost) bolt in upgrade.

MPG - are you up or down on what it was like before? I Just got 52.5mpg over 400 miles, 70% motorway @ 60-65mph, 20% a road and 10% <3 mile trips around town. For me right now I'm trying to pick up economy rather than power, hence possibly just getting the stock injectors refreshed as I think there are some gains to be had there, esp at lower rev's/load.

Last edited by brickman; Jan 24th, 2014 at 17:52.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2014, 17:59   #10
bongodave
I've Been Banned

Scania Turbo it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24afjVqm2Uw
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote