Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 tdi POWER!!!!!!

Views : 23210

Replies : 182

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2014, 19:49   #181
brickman
Premier Member

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...72#post1813372

Selling my spider tuning box, ideal for those not wanting to go the full Ron
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 23:43   #182
brickman
Premier Member

PSA to all TDI folk, clean your inlet manifold out! Chances are most of your have already done it, but for some bizarre reason I decided not to do it ages ago. Made a post in the diesel section, copied here for information.

Quote:
D5252T/AEL motor.

EGR + decat + other things.

Pretty sure I'd done a full stage ZERO but there was one last thing, inlet manifold cleaning. The most I'd done was stick my fingers in the EGR port and found it was pretty horrible but no worse than your average diesel.

Or maybe not, each of the 5 inlet ports on the cylinder head has a 2mm build up of gunk, but the inlet manifold itself had a healthy 3-4mm build up in places.

Didn't take a picture of it before, only during and after. Picture above is someone elses, but shows about the same amount of gunk build up.

At work we have a heated parts washer, although I might have ruined it with the 2lbs of coal that came out of the thing!

The casting has plenty of texture and burrs to it, so took a dremel and a few stones to it and smoothed out 3 inchs into each port. In the future I might complete the polishing job the full depth of each of the ports, and do the same procedure to the cylinder head inlet ports (cyl head off next time it needs a cam belt or cam shaft seal).

Result!

Has it made a difference, hell yes. Over 3500rpm it just keeps on going, under 2000rpm its noticeably more responsive. And economy improved too. Normally going to work (uphill and cold) = 40-45mpg on the clock
Coming back from work (mostly downhill and not cold) = brings it up to 48-53mpg sort of region.
Today it was 58.5mpg

Well worth doing, just goes to show just an EGR delete and hard driving is clearly not enough to shift this gunk, once it starts building up it will only ever get worse!
Old Jan 1st, 2015, 02:11   #183
klunk

Strange but when i did my EGR blank i took off the inlet manifold and expected it to be in the state yours was in, It actually was quite clear and just required a bit of carb cleaner and a cloth, Most probably was ragged by the previous owners!

Last edited by klunk; Jan 1st, 2015 at 02:15.
klunk is offline   Reply With Quote