Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best engine v40 (Diesel)

Views : 1600

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2016, 13:14   #1
jakechester

Default Best engine v40 (Diesel)

Gentleman,my first post in the V40 section(I usually frequent the xc70/v70 pages)The post is for advice on best diesel engine for a v40 as the wife is looking into getting one,I off course are a D5 fan but she wont be having that much grunt so whats best D3,D3 dont think a D4 is on the cards at the moment.Any advice is greatly received

regards
jakechester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 21:06   #2
PhilSkill

My wife now has a D3 XC, she really likes it. Coming from a 2.0D C30 R-Design.

Found this Quote on Car Buyer

Quote:
Diesel engines

The V40’s diesel engines are the model’s main attraction. The D2 is the least powerful, producing 120bhp, which is fine for town driving and occasional motorway use, while the 150bhp D3 can go from 0-62mph in 9.6 seconds.

The 187bhp D4 offers an extraordinary blend of performance and efficiency, accelerating from 0-62mph in just 7.4 seconds – slightly quicker than a Volkswagen Golf GTD – yet returning an impressive 74.3mpg fuel economy.

If you can stretch to its cost, it's by some distance the best engine in the V40's range.

Last edited by PhilSkill; Apr 14th, 2016 at 21:11.
PhilSkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2016, 23:58   #3
Brodick
Master Member

If we are talking the new D2 or D3 then really can't answer the question.
I would perhaps suggest the D3 - middle ground as such

D4 - is a peach, just wants to be driven.
would also consider a D3 I guess but personally the old gen D2 lacked low down (off the mark grunt)
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 00:33   #4
Rooster
Speed freak

Depends if were talking new or used,

If its used i would get a 5 pot D3 or D4 without a doubt
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2016, 11:46   #5
Carl Sberglager

190 bop D4 is great in the V40, for performance, just don't believe the fuel economy figures. Best I've ever got in 16 months of driving is 55mpg (using adaptive cruise control for 20 miles in motorway roadworks at 50 mph) and averaging 43mpg.

But I can forgive the economy as acceleration and mid range torque are great and road tax only £20 (I have 8 speed auto, would be £0 if it was a manual).
Old May 11th, 2016, 13:10   #6
anton differing

I have a D3, and for my gentle style of driving, I don't think I'd want anything more powerful. It has enough oomph to get away quickly (I had to learn to be careful not to squeal the tyres) and cruises pleasantly, so, for a non-performance orientated driver, it would be ideal.

The other plus point (in my opinion) is that it comes with the six-speed automatic, which I believe is a traditional torque converter type. This means that it will be a bit thirstier, but on the other hand such transmissions are virtually bombproof, whereas there are some questions against the durability and/or maintenance costs of the dual-clutch types.
anton differing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 22:11   #7
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton differing View Post
I have a D3, and for my gentle style of driving, I don't think I'd want anything more powerful. It has enough oomph to get away quickly (I had to learn to be careful not to squeal the tyres) and cruises pleasantly, so, for a non-performance orientated driver, it would be ideal.

The other plus point (in my opinion) is that it comes with the six-speed automatic, which I believe is a traditional torque converter type. This means that it will be a bit thirstier, but on the other hand such transmissions oilare virtually bombproof, whereas there are some questions against the durability and/or maintenance costs of the dual-clutch types.
I would only buy a car with a dual clutch auto box if it has a real good warranty. They are very, very expensive to repair.

The recent drive for ultimate fuel economy figures has resulted in the use of some very thin box oils. Those oils contain high levels of anti wear, friction modifying and extreme pressure additives. If the previous owner has topped up with non OEM standard oil (We used to call them hydraulic fluid, but they are more similar to an engine oil in base stock terms), or simply omitted to change it, the results are bad news. Electronic faults with the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) can also run up a serious bill if it needs to be replaced.

I would tend to stay away from the bigger engine models in the UK, as the 70 mph speed limit on the motorway does tend to result in them failing to burn their cylinders and exhaust system clean. Obviously this is more of a factor if you get stuck in traffic of short trip a lot.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 22:38   #8
Rooster
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton differing View Post
The other plus point (in my opinion) is that it comes with the six-speed automatic, which I believe is a traditional torque converter type. This means that it will be a bit thirstier, but on the other hand such transmissions are virtually bombproof, whereas there are some questions against the durability and/or maintenance costs of the dual-clutch types.
Probably why volvo has also ditched the ford powersh1t box when they did there engines
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote