Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel alignment

Views : 1004

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2019, 15:27   #1
WarrenandZoe

Default Wheel alignment

Hi all, just been for new tyres and wheel alignment check, I have been told for my alignment to be adjusted I have to pay for 4 wheel alignment, he says the rear control arm is adjustable, is this correct? I have a 2006 V50
WarrenandZoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 19:04   #2
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenandZoe View Post
Hi all, just been for new tyres and wheel alignment check, I have been told for my alignment to be adjusted I have to pay for 4 wheel alignment, he says the rear control arm is adjustable, is this correct? I have a 2006 V50
Toe is adjustable on the rear. You need this to be correct and to make sure the thrust angle is zero. Then they sort out the toe for the front. Additional things like camber may be adjustable if you have non standard control arms fitted, but not as standard.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 19:32   #3
WarrenandZoe

Ok thank you very much
Old Nov 19th, 2019, 19:43   #4
lockstock

Quote:
Ok thank you very much
I would say, make sure the place is well reviewed with competent techs. Some places with a famous two word name, can use the kit to measure, but they won't necessarily be competent at making adjustments. If you don't go somewhere good, the alignment is not very useful. One rule of thumb Ive always used, is, if they dont check the tyre pressures first and do a basic visual inspection of the suspension, walk away.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 14:48   #5
WarrenandZoe

Thanks I'll bare that in mind, and avoid Kwik fit?? Lol
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 21:09   #6
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks I'll bare that in mind, and avoid Kwik fit?? Lol
yes, yes and ohh hell yes to avoiding that chain.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 11:00   #7
WarrenandZoe

Managed to find an indy that is fitting 2 new track rod ends to save me freezing then do 4 wheel alignment for less than £90
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 11:04   #8
StatusRed
Premier Member

Got mine aligned a few months ago. I don't think the rear was adjustable.. certainly not as adjustable as the front. - IGNORE THIS, THIS WAS MY C70

S40 / V50 / C30 definitely have adjustable front and rear.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 11:18   #9
lockstock

Quote:
Managed to find an indy that is fitting 2 new track rod ends to save me freezing then do 4 wheel alignment for less than £90
Ask them how they are doing the alignment as this is very cheap. I'd suspect they will just do the front tracking for that price. It can vary massivey though and some garages are just good and well priced. Also, you cant really do a proper 4 wheel alignment accurately without a laser system or the better hunter hawkeye. And remember its the thrust angle and toe that are really important. This will affext driveability and be most relevant for tyre wear. Castor isn't adjustable and camber, although important, wont have the same noticible effect on driving or tyres unless it's severely out of spec.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 13:08   #10
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
Ask them how they are doing the alignment as this is very cheap. I'd suspect they will just do the front tracking for that price. It can vary massivey though and some garages are just good and well priced. Also, you cant really do a proper 4 wheel alignment accurately without a laser system or the better hunter hawkeye. And remember its the thrust angle and toe that are really important. This will affext driveability and be most relevant for tyre wear. Castor isn't adjustable and camber, although important, wont have the same noticible effect on driving or tyres unless it's severely out of spec.
I got 4 wheel alignment done with the hunter system for £60, they didn't have to adjust the back which I think affects the price, would have been more if they needed to do rear adjustments.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote