Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 B3 12v battery critical charging fault

Views : 15673

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2021, 10:44   #1
ML41

Default V60 B3 12v battery critical charging fault

Morning everybody, new poster here. I'm wondering if anybody has had a similar experience to me and, if so, how things played out.

I have a two month old MY21 V60 B3. In the two months I have had the car, a 12v battery critical charging fault has appeared three times. When the warning message appears it makes the car undriveable - on the most recent occasion it was restricting its speed to 7 mph. The car has so far covered less than 800 miles.

The issue first arose when I had had the car for around two weeks. Volvo Assistance sent an engineer who reset the battery. Around two weeks later the issue arose again, and this time the engineer could not resolve it by resetting the battery so it was taken to the local dealer. When I collected the car from the dealer I thought I'd understood them to say they had performed a software update, but on checking the paperwork there is no mention of that, and it might be that they just reset the battery again. A week and a half later, the issue arose again. The car is back at the local dealer, who are now apparently working with Volvo directly. It has been at the dealer for two days (on this occasion) and I am being told it is likely to be in for at least another two days but probably longer.

Is anybody here aware of similar issues, either with B engines or otherwise?
ML41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 11:11   #2
PARKY BOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML41 View Post
Morning everybody, new poster here. I'm wondering if anybody has had a similar experience to me and, if so, how things played out.

I have a two month old MY21 V60 B3. In the two months I have had the car, a 12v battery critical charging fault has appeared three times. When the warning message appears it makes the car undriveable - on the most recent occasion it was restricting its speed to 7 mph. The car has so far covered less than 800 miles.

The issue first arose when I had had the car for around two weeks. Volvo Assistance sent an engineer who reset the battery. Around two weeks later the issue arose again, and this time the engineer could not resolve it by resetting the battery so it was taken to the local dealer. When I collected the car from the dealer I thought I'd understood them to say they had performed a software update, but on checking the paperwork there is no mention of that, and it might be that they just reset the battery again. A week and a half later, the issue arose again. The car is back at the local dealer, who are now apparently working with Volvo directly. It has been at the dealer for two days (on this occasion) and I am being told it is likely to be in for at least another two days but probably longer.

Hi, read your post last week with some interest as I have just pick up my new V60 B4p, and now find myself parked up with the very same fault, not happy to say the least, my 6th Volvo, had my last one a XC60 for 8 trouble free years, please let me know how you have gotten on, thanks, have a long drive to Devon in a couple of weeks, things and the only thing I was hoping to worry about was will the carp be feeding, and thanks
PARKY BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 11:13   #3
PARKY BOY

PS, apologies for spelling, tx-ING on my phone with no glasses
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 15:06   #4
ML41

My car is now half way through its second week in the dealership. The issue is apparently to do with the way the battery is regulating the current flowing into it. A new part is awaited from Sweden. The impression I'd had before from the various technicians involved was that it was a software issue, but now sounds like a hardware one instead.
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 18:56   #5
PARKY BOY

Thanks for the swift reply, not ideal or what you would expect from a new car.
Volvo on call sent an independent Tech as no Volvo one available, he failed to reset the problem so arrange for a transporter to recover my car to the nearest main dealer.
As I was informed it would be circa 2hrs I walked into the nearest village too, well "turn my bike round", on return to the car I jumped in and started it to warm myself up, it preformed its usual multi-system check, 12v battery critical charge message appeared briefly then went out, I then drove the car back home without further issues, had another short run and still fine. Have it booked in next week for a check-up, though I wouldn't be surprised if all appears fine, not convinced it is rectified for good mind.

A further update on progress made, actions they take and parts fitted to fully resolve it would be very much appreciated, I might well have to go through the very same process in the coming weeks.
Many thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to PARKY BOY For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 08:41   #6
Mm1988

Quote:
My car is now half way through its second week in the dealership. The issue is apparently to do with the way the battery is regulating the current flowing into it. A new part is awaited from Sweden. The impression I'd had before from the various technicians involved was that it was a software issue, but now sounds like a hardware one instead.
Hopefully they can sort it as it must be horrible getting in the car and not knowing whether it will be able to go or not. Apart from this issue, how are you finding the B3P engine?
Mm1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 10:19   #7
ML41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mm1988 View Post
Hopefully they can sort it as it must be horrible getting in the car and not knowing whether it will be able to go or not. Apart from this issue, how are you finding the B3P engine?
The first time it happened I put it down to just being one of those unlucky things which sometimes happens with a brand new car and I thought little more of it, but after the second time, despite it having been into the local dealer on that occasion, I did become pretty nervous about turning it on and not knowing what to expect. Frustratingly, on all the occasions the issue arose, we were trying to take the kids to school or nursery and had to scramble around trying to make alternative arrangements for them.

Otherwise, though, I love the car and the B3P engine. The car's very comfortable and there's tons of space for the kids. The B3 engine is perfectly adequate for the use we make of it. We don't do regular, long motorway journeys (especially now that my in-laws have moved closer) and perhaps if we did then I'd have considered stretching to the B4 but as it is the B3 is ideal for us. I test drove a MY2020 T4 and, as far as I can tell, there is little real world difference particularly for the types of journeys we do. Fuel economy seems a little on the low side but, for now, I'm putting that down to a new engine and also the fact we are only currently doing short, local journeys.
Old May 5th, 2021, 12:28   #8
brazenskies

Quote:

Hi, I just joined up to share my experience with this issue. I took delivery of a brand new B3 V60 in March and I experienced this exact issue at just under 800 miles (797 to be exact).

Volvo Assist came to my house this morning and the guy confirmed this is now a common issue they're seeing with the "B" engines and the issue relates to a faulty Battery Control Module. Volvo are sending out replacement parts to dealers this week. He has applied a temporary fix to get us moving again but is returning next week to fit the new part.

Searches for this issue will undoubtedly start to grow in the coming weeks so hopefully this helps people.

Cheers
brazenskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to brazenskies For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2021, 09:17   #9
MCV60
Master Member

My 2021 V90 B4 with only 399miles has just alerted me of '12V Battery Critical Charging fault, stop safely'.

Managed to drive short distance home, although acceleration was hesitant.

Just off the the phone to Volvo Assist. Shall update when assist arrives.

Last edited by MCV60; May 7th, 2021 at 10:29.
MCV60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2021, 12:03   #10
MCV60
Master Member

Update on my 2021 B4 V90.’12v critical charging fault’

Volvo assist did a temporary override on the fault, added some charge to the battery in the boot and advised to book into dealers ASAP.

Booked in for this week. Let’s see what they say.

One thing I have noted, despite how much braking and regeneration the little battery symbol level on the dash, never really appears to improve.

Should the battery symbol have come full on collection from the dealership?