Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 front bumper removal/parking sensor access?

Views : 1458

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2021, 14:28   #1
GaryB1969

Default V90 front bumper removal/parking sensor access?

Hi folks. Last week I hit a bird while travelling at 70mph in my 2018 V90, it was a pheasant and it hit the lower part of the front bumper. There was no damage BUT both front parking sensors have been knocked out and are now dangling behind the lower grille. It looks like both of the mounting clips (that I assume are part of the bumper moulding) have broken but I just can't figure out how to get access to this area! I tried removing the under-tray but I can't withdraw it as the bumper lip fouls it.

Anyone know how to do this? I suspect I'll have to use a PU adhesive to bond the sensor housings back into place but I just can't figure out how to get to the sensors without causing any more damage by breaking hidden clips etc.

Thanks
GaryB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 16:41   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Not a very good video but if you combine this video with the XC90 instructions you will get an idea, first thing is remove the inner wheel liner and the bolts and clips. You can see the bolts in the volvo instructions for the XC90.
https://youtu.be/_C_DXCoNse0
https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...20(16-)%202017
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Feb 16th, 2021 at 16:44.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 16:48   #3
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

frustrating, I did much the same a year or two back with my car (S90). Despite undoing all the screws I could find, couldn't quite see how to remove all the plastic bits to be able to get my hand in to (hopefully) just put back in place.
Just mentioned it at next service and the dealer did it. (No charge, though I didn't mention any birds being involved .. you should still be in warranty?)
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 17:14   #4
GaryB1969

Thanks, I saw the XC60 video this morning but it seems to be quite different to the fixings on the V90 but is useful as a guide, I've found a few photos on EBay of bare V90 front bumpers which give an indication of where all of the various clips are and looking at it it does look like the grille piece which houses the sensors can be removed so I'll zoom in on those to try and work out how it all goes together.

Failing all of this I'll manage without them until it goes in for it's third service in the summer. It's so frustrating being able to see them through the grill but unable to actually sort them out!
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryB1969 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 12:04   #5
GaryB1969

Well, got it done on Saturday. Wheels off, wheel arch liners out, undo around 18 screws and lift the bumper away. The tags holding the top of the sensor brackets had broken so some PU adhesive sorted that. All-in the whole job took just under two hours at a very leisurely pace.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GaryB1969 For This Useful Post: