Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition issue revisited

Views : 817

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2021, 15:58   #1
niveketak
66 Amazon

Default Ignition issue revisited

As a result of a limit of 10 kilometres due to Covid here in France I haven't run the car much after the destruction of one distributor cap centre contact and semi destruction of another. I am currently running a Quinton Hazel cap with an older rotor arm. I ordered another cap and when it arrived I noticed the centre contact was broader and longer than the two destroyed ones. I also ordered a rotor arm and then found I already had a new one. The black one I already had the one on the left is the new one and the other the old one. They are all different and the one on the left has a shorter reach than the other two. The old ones centre contact is lower than the other two and I am now totally confused as to what the set up should be. The car is a 66 122S. Any inspiration?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3414.jpg (166.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3416.jpg (117.9 KB, 15 views)
niveketak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 19:38   #2
Volvo_133
VOC member

In your position, I would fit a rotor arm securely, put a steel straight edge on top of the rotor and measure down to the distributor casing.
Do the same for all 3 rotors. This may be easier and more accurate with the distributor removed.Now measure the inside of the cap from the base up to the cap terminal for 1 of the 4 cylinders. From this you should be able to decide if anything will collide.
Also offer the rotors inside each cap to decide if the rotor radius looks OK.
I think all amazon rotors run the same radius. I have an early rotor which looks taller in height ( than my 1970 amazon) though I think this has a longer overlap on to the dizzy shaft.
The diameter of the carbon brush should not make any difference.
Chris
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 13:04   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you feel like being experimental cut vertically down through a useless cap and remove about 1/3 of of it. Cut it so you can still use the clips to attach it to the dizzy. You will then be able to fit the rotors and see how they line up with the carbon and side contacts. Obviously the cap you cut up has to be a correct pattern one.
Measure the height of these three rotors when fitted to the dizzy shaft, height above the base plate. Max height and height of the side tab. Are they all the same?
Derek UK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2021, 13:45   #4
arcturus
arcturus

why don't you save yourself all the bother and just order the correct cap and rotor from VP autoparts. Quote the dizy number and they will send the correct part.
https://vp-autoparts.se/en/artiklar/...m-2/index.html

Last edited by arcturus; Apr 21st, 2021 at 13:50.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arcturus For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 14:38   #5
niveketak
66 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
If you feel like being experimental cut vertically down through a useless cap and remove about 1/3 of of it. Cut it so you can still use the clips to attach it to the dizzy. You will then be able to fit the rotors and see how they line up with the carbon and side contacts. Obviously the cap you cut up has to be a correct pattern one.
Measure the height of these three rotors when fitted to the dizzy shaft, height above the base plate. Max height and height of the side tab. Are they all the same?
I have the old one on the garage somewhere will have a look
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 14:41   #6
niveketak
66 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
why don't you save yourself all the bother and just order the correct cap and rotor from VP autoparts. Quote the dizy number and they will send the correct part.
Partly because the postage to France is extortionate from VP and I’m aYorkshireman of origin! But I have two where the car seems to run fine, further post with a really silly question coming.
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 14:44   #7
niveketak
66 Amazon

Just on the point of rotor to contact distance, and this sounds really naive but I never considered it before, with the centre of the rotor arm on the button, should the contact end of the rotor arm be ultra close or is there an accepted distance between the end of the arm and the four contacts
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 14:59   #8
niveketak
66 Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Partly because the postage to France is extortionate from VP and I’m aYorkshireman of origin! But I have two where the car seems to run fine, further post with a really silly question coming.
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 17:03   #9
Volvo_133
VOC member

I too am a Yorkshire man! I would want to use 1 of each of those rotors and caps to get the car sorted. Cannot tell you the clearance between the rotor and cap contacts when in operation, though it will be minute.
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 18:59   #10
Volvo_133
VOC member

To avoid any collision damage while trying your parts, take note the direction your rotor faces, remove distributor, you can now rotate your dizzy input shaft by hand with each of your 3 rotors in the 3 caps. From there refit dizzy with the rotor facing the same direction. If it starts ok, then the cap brush must be long enough and the rotor to cap gap be close enough.
The arcing and tracking in your original cap was more than likely caused by traces of carbon from a worn brush. Check and clean the inside of the cap periodically to avoid a repeat issue.
I ought to take my own advice, it is a couple of years since I looked in there!
I do carry a spare cap, rotor arm, points and a condenser. I should not mention all the other bits, fuel pump etc!
Chris.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post: